Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Guest iain

sad news..the american actor Frankie Thomas, Jr of Space Cadet fame has died at 85

sad news..the american actor Frankie Thomas, Jr of Space Cadets fame has died at 85

You're getting slightly confused here. He wasn't in Space Cadets, he was in a 50's TV series in the US called Tom Corbett, Space Cadet. Small difference, but a significant one.

My Halliwell Film book says that not only was he a noted child actor, but amongst other things, was an international-class bridge player, and apparently wrote many books on the subject.

Still doesn't change the fact, that I have no idea who he was & wouldn't recognise him in a film.

One that Iain won't tell you about, as it isn't on Wikipedia, is Tommy Rowe, who was the last surviving pre-war FA Cup finallist, for Portsmouth, back in 1939. He was 92. Considering yesterdays game, and how knackered some of them were, you'd be forgiven for thinking he wouldn't be the only FA Cup fatality yesterday.

:P

Either way he's still dead, right?

Tommy Rowe, I think BB was referring to.

Incidentally, Eric Tindill is the oldest living test cricketer but does anyone know the oldest living international footballer - I've so far failed to find out. Similarly, England's oldest living professional footballer is proving elusive.......

Incidentally, Eric Tindill is the oldest living test cricketer but does anyone know the oldest living international footballer - I've so far failed to find out. Similarly, England's oldest living professional footballer is proving elusive.......

Oooh............ do I tell you or not? They're both on my DDP short-list, and might well be unique picks..

The oldest living professional footballer?

I don't think anyone knows for sure. Just look at how many of them there are!

This site covers all football league players. Every single footballer!!

It'll be a long slog, but if you've a day or two to waste...

Reading's oldest is Michael Boyle , who will be 98 in October - I guess he'd have to be up there as one of the oldest. He was definitely alive last year, and his family are in close contact with the club, so one presumes he is still alive. He also played for York, Darlington, Exeter & Bolton. We have a couple of confirmed nonagenarians too.

Of those who played post-war, there are around 20-25 players (maximum) in their 90's. The problem is, how many are alive pre-war? Remember, this is just the English league....

That Hugman book advertised on the site is an excellent book. Some superb DDP possiblities.

So, that brings me back to the DDP.

Oh, to hell with it. You'll forgotten by December!!

England's oldest living player is Septimus (Sep) Smith , who was 94 in March. Won 1 cap pre-war, and is a Leicester City legend. I think Phil Taylor , who's on my DDP 20 this year, is the 2nd oldest.

Worldwide - well, no-one knows for absolute certainty - but it is probably Francisco Varallo, of Argentina.

96 earlier this year, and what's more, he not only played in a World Cup, but in the 1st final too.

Of the other 1930 teams, well it's less easy to verify. There might be a Mexican still alive, but their records are shady, whilst Juan Valdivieso, Peru's goalie, appears to be still alive. All the rest, are, not surprisingly, dead.

Don't say I don't ever tell you lot anything!

Oooh............ do I tell you or not? They're both on my DDP short-list, and might well be unique picks..

The oldest living professional footballer?

I don't think anyone knows for sure. Just look at how many of them there are!

This site covers all football league players. Every single footballer!!

It'll be a long slog, but if you've a day or two to waste...

Reading's oldest is Michael Boyle , who will be 98 in October - I guess he'd have to be up there as one of the oldest. He was definitely alive last year, and his family are in close contact with the club, so one presumes he is still alive. He also played for York, Darlington, Exeter & Bolton. We have a couple of confirmed nonagenarians too.

Of those who played post-war, there are around 20-25 players (maximum) in their 90's. The problem is, how many are alive pre-war? Remember, this is just the English league....

That Hugman book advertised on the site is an excellent book. Some superb DDP possiblities.

So, that brings me back to the DDP.

Oh, to hell with it. You'll forgotten by December!!

England's oldest living player is Septimus (Sep) Smith , who was 94 in March. Won 1 cap pre-war, and is a Leicester City legend. I think Phil Taylor , who's on my DDP 20 this year, is the 2nd oldest.

Worldwide - well, no-one knows for absolute certainty - but it is probably Francisco Varallo, of Argentina.

96 earlier this year, and what's more, he not only played in a World Cup, but in the 1st final too.

Of the other 1930 teams, well it's less easy to verify. There might be a Mexican still alive, but their records are shady, whilst Juan Valdivieso, Peru's goalie, appears to be still alive. All the rest, are, not surprisingly, dead.

Don't say I don't ever tell you lot anything!

That is one way left brain OoO. Do the test, do the test.

Guest iain

former USSR deputy foreign minnister Georgi Korniyenko has gone .he headed the soviet embassy in Washington DC during the Cuban missile crisis and thius played a key role in saving humanity.Is he famous enough?

former USSR deputy foreign minnister Georgi Korniyenko has gone .he headed the soviet embassy in Washington DC during the Cuban missile crisis and thius played a key role in saving humanity.Is he famous enough?

I didn't think so, which is why I posted him in "not famous, but worth a mention", about 4 days ago.

:P

Johnnie Wilder Jr

Lead singer of "Heatwave" (remember "Always and Forever", "Boogie Nights" (woh-oh-oh!)?). Dead at 56.

Ex Tory minister Eric Forth has died.

Never heard of him.

Oh, but this is a wonderful section of this forum. I do so detest having to thumb through the newspapers daily to find who has passed on. This will make it much more simple for me.

Thank you ever so much.

Guest iain

Never heard of him.

Eric Forth was one of the most outspoken Tory MPs.He was shadow leader in the commons till recently and a right winger.Its a bit of a shock to hear hes died as he was in the commons until just recently and seemed in good health.His absence will definately be noticed

Never heard of him.

You and me both Lady Die.

And a warm welcome to you Bennett

Guest iain

Ramrod from the Grateful Dead is maybe not so gratefully dead at 61

Chairman of the Communist Party of Ireland, Michael O'Riordan has died at 88

Guest Myth

He's not really from the grateful dead but was one of their crew members

Guest iain

the body of Jimmy Hoffa may be on the brink of being found 30 years after he dissappeared

Thank you for the update Iain. I have often wondered if ever they would find Mr.Hoffa's body. Hopefully it was encased in materials suitable to body preservation.

Sad to hear that O'Riordan has gone on as well. Again, I thank you for these most informative updates Iain.

Again, I thank you for these most informative updates Iain.

Go to Wikipedia Recent Deaths & you, too, can have the updates at your fingertips, minutes, hours, or even days, before Iain "brings" us the news.

Would Hoffa actually count as a near miss, seeing that he's been dead 30 years? If he had been on a DDP or DL list by some freak chance, I wonder what the criteria would be, for him and Richie Edwards if their body was found etc etc

A former Israeli political leader died today. If you heard it on the radio, you might be forgiven it was someone else, especially as the surname is very, very similar. In fact, he seems to have the names of most of the living Israeli ex-premiers (Shamir, Netayahu, and ol'Ariel)

Unfortunately, for all those DDP'ers, it was Yitzhak Ben-Aharon , who died, aged 99. link

Famous in his own right, without a doubt, but I must admit I saw the words "Yitzhak" "Israeli" and "party", and thought I had, at last, a 2nd DDP hit. The torrid wait goes on.

Guest iain
A former Israeli political leader died today. If you heard it on the radio, you might be forgiven it was someone else, especially as the surname is very, very similar. In fact, he seems to have the names of most of the living Israeli ex-premiers (Shamir, Netayahu, and ol'Ariel)

Unfortunately, for all those DDP'ers, it was Yitzhak Ben-Aharon , who died, aged 99. link

Famous in his own right, without a doubt, but I must admit I saw the words "Yitzhak" "Israeli" and "party", and thought I had, at last, a 2nd DDP hit. The torrid wait goes on.

the next deathlist hit will come this weekend I predict

the next deathlist hit will come this weekend I predict

and whom might that be?

the body of Jimmy Hoffa may be on the brink of being found 30 years after he dissappeared

CNN claims that an ailing prisoner was the tipster.

Too bad he's not famous enough for the DL... he sounds sort of rough...

CNN claims that an ailing prisoner was the tipster.

Too bad he's not famous enough for the DL... he sounds sort of rough...

C.P., the link is not working for me and curiosity is digging its dirty nails deeply into my flesh as I wonder who the person you have mentioned might be. Please share this so others will not suffer as I currently am.

Thank you ever so much.