Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

thanks Phantom, excellent initiative, and that list already throws out some intriguing suggestions. Lindsay Lohan, to die of over-exposure, anyone?

Guest iain

Sam Neely the singer has collapsed and died while mowing his lawn

and the left wing politician Ted Grant h as died at 93.I believe he was a good friend of Michael Foot

Guest iain

the Khmer Rouge leader Ta Mok whi i previosly referred to as being in a coma,has in fact just died

Guest iain

top Khmer Raouge terrorist Ta Mok is in a coma with only days to live

Is he dead, Iain?

he is now!

ok, I got as far as post #21 on the "ideas and possibilities for 2007" thread before I had to do some work

Here is the list of those that have been suggested so far. If someone wants to copy the list and work through some more of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a free day today, I'll do it myself in a separate thread now.

French film director Gerard Oury has died.

Doing a good job there on the new suggestions thread OoO, can't believe how many names there are, or who some of them are!

I concede that Phantom's idea was a much better one than mine, especially as OoO is working on it; a man dedicated to compiling death stats for the greater good.

My idea was more to provide a carte blanche for DL'ers to have an opportunity to show their predictive skills (or lack thereof) in advance rather than getting the usual 'I was going to suggest him' posts after the event. Or something like that, it's less clear than yesterday already. :)

Basically, Phantom's idea was well thought out and needs a bit of time spent on it by a dedicated someone, and mine was a bit rushed and almost all the work would be done by individuals, with a bit of a mod clean up at the end. The slacker's option, effectively.

Do I still get a Silver Medal and an 'A' for effort? :P

Doing a good job there on the new suggestions thread OoO, can't believe how many names there are, or who some of them are!

Do I still get a Silver Medal and an 'A' for effort? :)

Yes. :P

I think there's a way of amending the new suggestions thread eve more, but I'll finish the names first.

TLC,

I wouldn't be hasty in saying it was my idea. It has been suggested before as to what defines a "Near Miss"

Mine was a sort of hashed culmination of a few different suggestions. I had no idea how many names had actually been suggested.

Octi,

I take my hat off to you for taking on such a mammoth task. With 750 postings on the ideas for 2007 thread alone (some duplicates and some posts not containing suggestions) It would not have been a quick 5 minute task.

French film director Gerard Oury has died.

Oui

Whilst I'm still trying to sort out names and also on the back of stinging abuse ;) by CP over the Barnard Hughes atrocity,

Jack Warden, actor, is dead.

IIRC, he has been mentioned before as he was one of the last surviving jurors from Twelve Angry Men (1957). Chances are most of you who watch movies will have seen him in something.

Filmography here.

JackWarden1.jpg

Whilst I'm still trying to sort out names and also on the back of stinging abuse ;) by CP over the Barnard Hughes atrocity,

Jack Warden,, actor, is dead.

That's a shame although I thought he was dead anyway.

Anyone seen the film 'Used Cars'? Good film. Warden has 2 roles in it..

Jack Warden, actor, is dead.

IIRC, he has been mentioned before as he was one of the last surviving jurors from Twelve Angry Men (1957). Chances are most of you who watch movies will have seen him in something.

Filmography here.

JackWarden1.jpg

I thought he was dead too.

I guess I was under the impression that Jack Klugman was the only surviving member of the cast of Twelve Angry Men

Guest iain

it is with the deepeest sadness that I have to announce the death of the director and producer David Maloney.He was most famous for his work on many episodes of Doctor Who , also Blakes Seven,and he brught the brilliant tv series Day of the Triffids to tv

it is with the deepeest sadness that I have to announce the death of the director and producer David Maloney.He was most famous for his work on many episodes of Doctor Who , also Blakes Seven,and he brught the brilliant tv series Day of the Triffids to tv

Oh dear. He was a great director - 'The Deadly Assassin' was my favourite (that's the story when he returns to his old planet folks!).

He wasn't that old was he? He must have been ill.. ;)

it is with the deepeest sadness that I have to announce the death....

Several parts of this statement got me laughing.

I doubt that you had any sadness about the announcement and to say that you have to announce was absolutely absurd.

(and how's that Michael Foot obit you're composing for Wilkipedia and other places going Igor?)

Guest iain

I doubt that you had any sadness about the announcement and to say that you have to announce was absolutely absurd.

(and how's that Michael Foot obit you're composing for Wilkipedia and other places going Igor?)

an announcement about Michael Foot is imminent on the Michael Foot thread...

an announcement about Michael Foot is imminent on the Michael Foot thread...

you mean that he's still alive?

Iain, give it up. You always claim that someone's death is imminent

Okay, he's not on THE I & P list, but here's where it comes down to notability, and I think this man's got it:

Carl Brashear, whose story was told in the film Men of Honor, has died. A true legend, and not just in deep sea diving or US Naval history, either.

Obit

<_<

Okay, he's not on THE I & P list, but here's where it comes down to notability, and I think this man's got it:

Carl Brashear, whose story was told in the film Men of Honor, has died. A true legend, and not just in deep sea diving or US Naval history, either.

Obit

:banghead:

Perhaps the "Near Misses" thread should be renamed to "Smegging 'ell!!!! How did we miss that one"? :referee:

Vincent J. Fuller the attorney who defended John Hinckley who attempted to assissinate Ronald Reagan has died at the age of 75

Guest Dick Long

there aint been too many deaths lately have there :angry:

there aint been too many deaths lately have there :angry:

I take it you're not posting from southern Lebanon.