Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

June Allyson the Hollywood actress, has died aged 88

I'm really saddened by this. One of my all-time favourite movie stars. Always a delight to watch. I had no idea she had been ill, in fact I thought it was the opposite & she was doing very well, health wise.

:)

Me too. I was vaguely considering her for next year but dismissed her as I hadn't heard any health news

just saw on the CNN crawler that Commodores keyboardist, Milan Williams has died at the age of 58.

only about 12 hours later the news of Milan Williams death has appeared on the CNN website

S'cuse the obvious observation but the article linked above was headlined:

June Allyson wasn't pinup, but girl guys wanted to come home to

I mean, you wouldn't have wanted to come home to her this morning would you?

Guest iain

has anyone mentioned the death of former world snooker champion John Spencer at the age of 71 yet?If not I just have anyway

has anyone mentioned the death of former world snooker champion John Spencer at the age of 71 yet?If not I just have anyway

Fool...

Guest iain

Ignoring that last comment,singer Tommy Bruce has died at 68.He wrote 'Aint Misbehaving'

Ignoring that last comment,singer Tommy Bruce has died at 68.He wrote 'Aint Misbehaving'

I think you'll find that was Fats Waller, Tommy Bruce had a one hit wonder with it in 1960 .

Guest iain

maybe windsor is right.Maybe I am a fool :P

Steady on now iain lad!

I don't fully agree with your statement there, iain.

However, if you were to alter and remove, in both cases, the word 'maybe', I can assure you we would agree fully.

Guest Guest

Red Buttons US comedian dies aged 87

Guest iain

top Khmer Raouge terrorist Ta Mok is in a coma with only days to live

top Khmer Raouge terrorist Ta Mok is in a coma with only days to live

Is he dead, Iain?

Yes he's definitely dead here's the Independent obit,

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obitu...icle1178593.ece

Oh, what a tremendous shame. :D I do hope he gets some media coverage upon his death, it's the least his work deserved.

In the I & P thread, we've already mentioned his body of work, but the first paragraph of the obituary sums up part of his legacy:

What do the following have in common? Bill and Ben's frequently uttered, indecipherable comment "Flobbadob" in The Flowerpot Men. The blustering Captain Pugwash's "Plundering porpoises! Jumping jellyfish! Harrowing hurricanes!" The urgent, on-the-edge-of-your-seat voice announcing Hergé's Adventures of Tintin. And the Daleks' menacing, robotic exhortation of:"Ex-ter-min-ate! Ex-ter-min-ate!" The voice behind all these television favourites was the actor Peter Hawkins.

He was also in my DDP top 30 for next year, as was the aforementioned Mok of Cambodia. :D

Oh, what a tremendous shame. :rip: I do hope he gets some media coverage upon his death, it's the least his work deserved.

In the I & P thread, we've already mentioned his body of work, but the first paragraph of the obituary sums up part of his legacy:

What do the following have in common? Bill and Ben's frequently uttered, indecipherable comment "Flobbadob" in The Flowerpot Men. The blustering Captain Pugwash's "Plundering porpoises! Jumping jellyfish! Harrowing hurricanes!" The urgent, on-the-edge-of-your-seat voice announcing Hergé's Adventures of Tintin. And the Daleks' menacing, robotic exhortation of:"Ex-ter-min-ate! Ex-ter-min-ate!" The voice behind all these television favourites was the actor Peter Hawkins.

He was also in my DDP top 30 for next year, as was the aforementioned Mok of Cambodia. <_<

Yes he's another one I was thinking about for next year. In fact I think I mentioned him in the ideas and possibilities thread

Guest iain

I've heard that Peter Hawkins has died, but so far can only find a wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hawkins

I cant believe it.Bill and Ben the flower pot men are dead!They were a major part of my childhood!

Anyway on a more sober note,the famous american civil rights leader Rev Joseph Boone has died

Guest iain

UNconfirmed reports say that the leader of Hezbollah Hassan Nasrallah may have been killed in an Israeli air strike

Iain, the link you supply says nothing of the sort. His HQ was bombed, and he received some injuries. Bit of a difference between being injured & killed.

Bill & Ben were part of your childhood? That would make you about 60. I find that very hard to believe, somehow....

The original Flowerpot men ran from 1952 to 1970 so Iain probably wouldn't be that old. Perhaps he's referring to the new Flowerpot men which was introduced in 2000. This would make him anything between 10 and 20. Much more likely :) .

i remember them from the early 70s.It was before I started school

This just in-Mickey Spillane is dead at 88

B*gger! I took Spillane off my list a couple of years ago :):D

This just in-Mickey Spillane is dead at 88

Of course the sad real truth here Ian is that you already mentioned this in the MICKEY SPILLANE thread down below and in point of fact it was mentioned there by OctopusofOddstock at 10:36 p.m yesterday and you acknowledged his comments at 12:56 a.m. today a full 8 minutes before you tossed it in here. Look here. Iian I like you about as much as the next person and it's sweet of you to go through all the trouble of posting these random croakings but why in so many places? Are you that terrified that we may miss them otherwise? Unlike what Jacqueline Susann said, in this case once IS enough......or is it?

Guest iain

fair enough..anyway blues musician Sam Myers is dead at 70

and the evangelist Ted Stone has dropped (stone) dead at 72

Guest iain

British film director Michael Anderson is dead .He directed 'the dam Busters' among other films