Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Guest iain

A former Israeli political leader died today. If you heard it on the radio, you might be forgiven it was someone else, especially as the surname is very, very similar. In fact, he seems to have the names of most of the living Israeli ex-premiers (Shamir, Netayahu, and ol'Ariel)

Unfortunately, for all those DDP'ers, it was Yitzhak Ben-Aharon , who died, aged 99. link

Famous in his own right, without a doubt, but I must admit I saw the words "Yitzhak" "Israeli" and "party", and thought I had, at last, a 2nd DDP hit. The torrid wait goes on.

the next deathlist hit will come this weekend I predict

and whom might that be?

Suharto

Guest iain

Freddie Garrity of Freddie and the Dreamers is dead at 65

Edited by Magere Hein

Freddie Garrity lead singer for Freddie & The Dreamers has died at the age of 65

Guest iain

where the hell did my post reporting the death of Freddie from Freddie and the Dreamers go?

Suharto

Do you really think so? Oh gracious me! I suppose I should inform the florist that a special arrangement may be needed then.

where the hell did my post reporting the death of Freddie from Freddie and the Dreamers go?

Probably got moved to the "not really famous..." thread

Not many people have heard of Freddie & The Dreamers, they were very much a flash-in-the-pan group

You rarely hear their songs on the radio, I've only heard of them because of footage that I've seen on "The Rock 'n' Roll Years" of their appearance on Blue Peter

Guest iain

but who got there first thats the question...

but who got there first thats the question...

Whomever got there first is of no interest of mine, although I know I got the age correct as he was 65 and not 66 when he sadly died

Freddie Garrity no longer with us. I've only just registered as well. Beginner's luck?

:)

PS He'll be dreaming for a while now.

For once, I find myself sympathising with Iain! Freddie Garrity relegated to the "Not Exactly Famous" thread?! He had 4 UK top 5 hits in the 60s, and anyone who was around then would surely class him as pretty famous. "I'm telling you now" went to No.1 in the US.

It doesn't happen often nowadays that I'm too young to remember someone. While I was, technically speaking, "around then", this was the first time I heard of this Garrity person. That US #1 defeats my "world famous in the UK" description, apparently.

I have no emotional investment in this, so I'll cheerfully move the lot back to "Near Misses", if you like.

[Posts moved back. Sorry, Iain -- MH]

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein

Not many people have heard of Freddie & The Dreamers.

I have to admit, when I saw the headline on Teletext & it said "Singer Freddie dies", I'd thought I'd gone back in time to when Mercury died. I was desperately trying to rack my brains whilst waiting for the story to come up to think of a singer famous enough to be called "Freddie" (ie just the one name). I failed. When I read the report, I found out I'd never heard of him anyway.

I have to admit, when I saw the headline on Teletext & it said "Singer Freddie dies", I'd thought I'd gone back in time to when Mercury died. I was desperately trying to rack my brains whilst waiting for the story to come up to think of a singer famous enough to be called "Freddie" (ie just the one name). I failed. When I read the report, I found out I'd never heard of him anyway.

I was surprised to see he got a mention on CNN I didn't think he was that well known over this side of the Atlantic

I was surprised to see he got a mention on CNN I didn't think he was that well known over this side of the Atlantic

I would guess he is as well known in the U.K. (at least to anyone who is over 50 years old, or who had parents who loved music of that particular era, like mine) as several in this years DL. A quick poll carried out by me today of exactly one electrician, who has only ever visited Ireland, and can not speak more than a few words in English, proves that Freddie and his music reached the South of France as well.

the body of Jimmy Hoffa may be on the brink of being found 30 years after he dissappeared

CNN claims that an ailing prisoner was the tipster.

Too bad he's not famous enough for the DL... he sounds sort of rough...

C.P., the link is not working for me and curiosity is digging its dirty nails deeply into my flesh as I wonder who the person you have mentioned might be. Please share this so others will not suffer as I currently am.

Thank you ever so much.

Strange how CNN doesn't work, but it's not unheard of.

The informant, Donovan Wells, 75, remembers "suspicious activity" on what is now called Hidden Dreams Farm in Milford Township, Michigan, at the time famed labor leader Hoffa disappeared, the investigator said Friday.

Never heard of him, I doubt anyone else has either.

Richard McIlkenny, one of the "Birmingham Six", has died.

They may've lapsed out of the public eye now, but as a lad, I remember all the hoo-ha about their imprisonment, and remember vividly when they were released.

I remember when they were released. How are te Guildford Four by te way?

Lee Jong-Wook, as mentioned, all so briefly, in the Ideas & Possibilities thread, has died.

He was head of the World Health Organisation, and was 61 years of age.