Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Hell, I'd no idea he was still alive, I mean he isn't now, obviously, but you get my drift.

He was mentioned in the Opera Thread about 2 days ago.

I said he didn't write any operas, a thing which I ascertained from Wikipedia, and which turns out to be wrong.

Danny Flores AKA Chuck Rio.

Bad week for ageing musicians eh?

Mentioned two days ago in the Not Exactly Famous.. thread, MPFC.

I do hope you're not turning into Iain. Also, calling Sir Malcolm Arnold a "musician" is a bit of a misnomer. :(

Danny Flores AKA Chuck Rio.

Bad week for ageing musicians eh?

Also, calling Sir Malcolm Arnold a "musician" is a bit of a misnomer. :(

Is that you pouring scorn on Sir Malcolm's compositorial abilities? Or don't you think composers count as musicians?

Is that you pouring scorn on Sir Malcolm's compositorial abilities? Or don't you think composers count as musicians?

The latter. Not as a loose term anyway.

Comparing someone like Arnold, who was the last of the great British composers of his era, to some guy that shouted "tequila" in a pop song is like comparing William Shatner to Sir Laurence Olivier.

Comparing someone like Arnold, who was the last of the great British composers of his era, to some guy that shouted "tequila" in a pop song is like comparing William Shatner to Sir Laurence Olivier.

One could say that Arnold was a great musician and Chuck Rio just a musician. Perhaps someone else might want to vehemently defend the opposite point of view. But they are both musicians, just as swedes and broccoli are both vegetables.

Well both Shatner and Olivier are/were hams, personally I always thought Olivier a very overrated thesp.

Gielgud was so much better.

Can't see me turning into Iain anytime soon. Problem with yer man Flores was that I only searched under his much better known name; Chuck Rio, and that brought up nowt.

Well both Shatner and Olivier are/were hams, personally I always thought Olivier a very overrated thesp.

Gielgud was so much better.

I felt if I mentioned Gieglud, someone would bring up the "Arthur" films. :(

NAP, I take your point. I still slightly disagree in one sense, but your vegetable usage in your argument is a fine one, and deserves to be the last word on the subject.

and wearing my MPFC coat, :ph34r: quite apt as that (a vegetable) is what poor old Sir Malcolm was in his last years.

I'll get my coat as well.....

Senior Sinn Fein Assembly member Michael Ferguson has died two months after being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

I bet One Shot Paddy wishes he knew about this diagnosis before he submitted his Northern Ireland Political Figures theme team to the CPDP. :(

Senior Sinn Fein Assembly member Michael Ferguson has died two months after being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

I bet One Shot Paddy wishes he knew about this diagnosis before he submitted his Northern Ireland Political Figures theme team to the CPDP. :o

BUGGER :ph34r:

Thats the problem with MLAs noone has heard of them since the elections 3 years ago! :(

In other Near Misses for the CPDP, Tetsuro Tamba, who played Tiger Tanaka in You Only Live Twice has died, yet was not selected by Dead to the World's James Bond Team.

The proof is on his homepage apparentely, but since I don't read Japanese, it's not going to help to post a link.

Aye CP, but she wasn't Tokyo Rose. Convicted back then but pardoned by Gerald Ford, mainly because the prosecution had pressured a few locals into lying to get her convicted.

Of course military-related justice has moved on a long way since then, non of that kangaroo court nonsense now, eh?

The baritone singer Thomas Stewart has died

"... Mr. Stewart was a commanding singer, muscular and with a moustache and beard that seemed suited to the often imperious roles he sang..."

Aye CP, but she wasn't Tokyo Rose.

True. Product of laziness more than anything really though. :D

What with Toguri, and Vance, there's been arguments of sloppy journalism lately - this is another case in point.

If you're born in 1934, how old were you? That's right, 72. Not 77.

What am I on about? Elizabeth Allen, film & Broadway star, is dead. Though not a front-line actress, I've heard of her - in fact I have a vivid memory of her as her role as Miss Platagenet in Cheyenne Autumn where she memorably tries to outact James Stewart & John Carradine in a memorable scene. Also starred in Donovan's Reef, but better known for theatre work. The sloppy counting is in this article. IMDB Page

As suggested by Devon Death Trip for next year's list, Walter Hadlee has left the crease. His son, Richard, may be more famous, but Walter played a significant role in raising the profile of NZ cricket in the late 1940s.

Twelvetrees; we are all into the gutter but some of us are face down in the sh*t! In the circumstances I admire your perusal of the drains.

I should listen to my instincts more:-

QUOTE(Octopus of Odstock @ Feb 23 2006, 11:51 PM)

Another name from that period, Sally Gray has just turned 90. She too could be a decent bet.

Sally Gray is no longer a candidate, I'm afraid

I should listen to my instincts more:-

QUOTE(Octopus of Odstock @ Feb 23 2006, 11:51 PM)

Another name from that period, Sally Gray has just turned 90. She too could be a decent bet.

Sally Gray is no longer a candidate, I'm afraid

Sally Gray's name didn't ring any bells for me, but then reading her obit I saw she was in Green For Danger starring the superb Alistair Sim. I must have seen that film loads of times a reel classic.

John Glover a great of non-league football, if such exist. Formerly of Welling United and Maidstone United and capped by England's semi-pro ranks in the mid eighties. There's a message board strand I found on the Maidstone site.

John Glover a great of non-league football, if such exist. Formerly of Welling United and Maidstone United and capped by England's semi-pro ranks in the mid eighties. There's a message board strand I found on the Maidstone site.

umm.........

MPFC, is this really a NEAR miss? I don't even think he musters enough fame for the "Not Famous but.."! I love me non-league footy, but even I've never heard of him.

Are you sure you're not Iain in disguise? :sick:

Peter Norman, the 'other' man on the podium during the infamous

Black Power salute in the Mexico Olympics has died aged 64. :referee:

Peter Norman