Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Right this is my first one, so apologies if it's in the wrong place - I've searched and couldn't find a thread about her.

Phyllis Kirk of 'House of Wax' is dead at 79.

http://deathbeeper.com/1484622.html

IMDB link [HCW]

Edited by heaven can wait

Sandy West, drummer with legendary all-girl band The Runaways, is not only battling lung cancer but has also been diagnosed with a brain tumour so it's looking a bit grim. :rip:

*changed to correct cancer. Look, I've got a cold, ok?

Sandy West died yesterday, that's another potential DDP selection gone.

I wonder if she will get a UK obit.

Fook!

In the space of a week, DDP2007 is getting a lot harder....

Bugger. That's the 4th potential pick I have lost :rip:

I am sure she will get a U.K. obit

Robert Richenberg, the artist, died a few days ago, aged 89.

Being a crap speller yet curious, I revisted this because I was really thinking of Robert Rauschenberg who doesn't seem to be dead. Now I'm confused. There is Rauschenberg who seems to be alive. But I can find nothing else about this bloke Richenberg. Apologies (if anybody cared, which I doubt), one reason I look at artists as possible deadpool picks.

I studied Rauschenberg at uni, in my young-free-single days. I loved this guys art. Looking at it now, I still get quite excited... maybe that's just the memories of the good old days? Anyway, this is probalby one of his most famous pieces, called 'Monogram'... make of it what you will.

rau_monogram.gif

Sandy West, drummer with legendary all-girl band The Runaways, is not only battling lung cancer but has also been diagnosed with a brain tumour so it's looking a bit grim. :rip:

Oh balls, that's really sad. I'm a huge Runaways fan and I'm pretty gutted about the news, but it did seem inevitable. :rip:

I reckon she will get a UK obit, The Runaways were too important a band for her not to.

I'm surprised not only that no one picked Jane Wyatt on the DDP, CPDP, WDP or the HDP, but also that no one has mentioned her demise as of yet.

Still, putting her in near misses because I believe she was mentioned several times on this site.

Funny, today I was just looking at her profile, deciding if she'd make a good candidate...

In that case the search is screwed as I checked before posting :lol:

Search seems fine, as it brought up Phantom's original post in a millisecond.

Blaming the tools sounds like a poor defence to me, Vinegar Tits, which is highly apt as you support Leeds United. :P;)

I know the search can be a bit iffy at times.

I had no idea there were people who support Leeds United :D:P

I'm surprised not only that no one picked Jane Wyatt on the DDP, CPDP, WDP or the HDP, but also that no one has mentioned her demise as of yet.

Still, putting her in near misses because I believe she was mentioned several times on this site.

Funny, today I was just looking at her profile, deciding if she'd make a good candidate...

I got a phone call about Jane Wyatt last night. I saw it mentioned on Wikipedia but was waiting for it to appear on somewhere like CNN or BBC, in the end I decided to just watch a movie.

In that case the search is screwed as I checked before posting :lol:

Search seems fine, as it brought up Phantom's original post in a millisecond.

Blaming the tools sounds like a poor defence to me, Vinegar Tits, which is highly apt as you support Leeds United. ;):P

I know the search can be a bit iffy at times.

I had no idea there were people who support Leeds United :P:P

You'd be surprised. I don't but I have a brother who does.

Something to do with them dominating English football for a decade in the 60s/70s.

Dennis Wise as Leeds boss, they thought it couldn't get any worse but.... :D

Isn't that two decades?

Why are people trying to pick at my way of writing?

Oh very well - across two decades but basically the period between

their promotion to the old Division One in 1964 through to their defeat

in the European Cup final in 1975! And yes it's 11 years...

with that grumpy post, I've run up 500.... :lol:

Isn't that two decades?

Why are people trying to pick at my way of writing?

Oh very well - across two decades but basically the period between

their promotion to the old Division One in 1964 through to their defeat

in the European Cup final in 1975! And yes it's 11 years...

with that grumpy post, I've run up 500.... :lol:

Congratulations. Welcome to the "We Need A Life" club. :D

Robert Cheriuyut 'got away' because he survived but this is a means of death that none of us seem to have considered. One thing that strikes me in the video is the shockingly bad medical care. They're obviously worried about the mass of runners about to arrive and move him whilst he's still confused. If I were a major sportswear manufacturer with him on my books I'd be ringing lawyers and discussing a suit for 'reckless endangerment.'

Robert Cheriuyut 'got away' because he survived but this is a means of death that none of us seem to have considered. One thing that strikes me in the video is the shockingly bad medical care. They're obviously worried about the mass of runners about to arrive and move him whilst he's still confused. If I were a major sportswear manufacturer with him on my books I'd be ringing lawyers and discussing a suit for 'reckless endangerment.'

I clicked on your link, MPFC, before reading your text and came up with exactly the same conclusion. I was horror-struck at the way he was hauled up from the ground after hitting his head and remaining motionless for some seconds.

The latest news (from the same link) is that although he has been treated for a brain haemorrhage he is no longer confused and is expected to make a full recovery.

Did you notice that the first reaction of the commentators before: "Is he hurt?" was: "Did he cross the line?" It says a lot. So does the dumb decision of the sponsors to lay down a slippery logo in the road.

I'm guessing that this novel method of instant death for a healthy and - therefore - high point scoring deadpool pick will now disappear. The potential for instant death was made so clear by this little incident that a few corporate lawyers for high profile sponsors of such events will be briefing boardrooms this week about the dangers. Imagine - in all seriousness - if that had been Paula Radcliffe. We'd have had a week of national mourning and the sorry company on whose logo she slipped would have seen their share price collapse to the point your local corner shop could take them over, or summat.

Dennis Wise as Leeds boss, they thought it couldn't get any worse but.... :lol:

I think the only person I'd want to see at Leeds less than Dennis Wise is Paul Ince.

That's it, Ken Bates is going on my DDP list for 2007. Purely wishful thinking of course... :D

Dennis Wise as Leeds boss, they thought it couldn't get any worse but.... :lol:

I think the only person I'd want to see at Leeds less than Dennis Wise is Paul Ince.

That's it, Ken Bates is going on my DDP list for 2007. Purely wishful thinking of course... :D

Sure you want to put Leeds Utd on the DDP... :P

Michael Mayne, former Dean of Westminster, has gone upstairs. Another one of OoO's hopefuls bites the dust.

Michael Mayne, former Dean of Westminster, has gone upstairs. Another one of OoO's hopefuls bites the dust.

Y-E-E-E-S-S-S-S!!!!

Get me them points down on the CP deadpool.

Sandy West, drummer with legendary all-girl band The Runaways, is not only battling lung cancer but has also been diagnosed with a brain tumour so it's looking a bit grim. :)

She has...

Sandy West

Sandy West, drummer with legendary all-girl band The Runaways, is not only battling lung cancer but has also been diagnosed with a brain tumour so it's looking a bit grim. :)

She has...

Sandy West

I must admit to being quite surprised that she got a BBC obit, makes the fact that she didn't make it to '07 all the more annoying.

Michael Mayne's death is yet another DDP candidate gone early, this really is most vexing.

....they're dropping like flies!

Still, if a drummer in a band from the late 70s (and weren't even punk!) can get

a BBC obit, anyone can.

I'm going to do a OoO and scour the net for potential DDP candidates - he's got a few

up hid sleeve...

....they're dropping like flies!

Still, if a drummer in a band from the late 70s (and weren't even punk!) can get

a BBC obit, anyone can.

I'm going to do a OoO and scour the net for potential DDP candidates - he's got a few

up hid sleeve...

Nope, they weren't punk, but they were one of the first all-female bands that would actually play their instruments. Especially when you had members such as Joan Jett and Lita Ford.

Lita Ford's career took off properly when she married Chris Holmes from W.A.S.P. but I would say by about '91 - '92 the whole big hair rock had lived its days.

I see my name is mentioned above. Is that what "doing an OOO" is, eh MiB? Interesting... :)

I was astonished Sandy West got a BBC obit, but it's all moot.

Re. "mystery candidates"

I have about 10-12 candidates I know am hoping won't be chosen in the DDP. My secret though is I have "Who's Who's" books of certain genres, but they're not recent "Who's Who" (bout 10-20 yrs old). Therefore I find it easier to search through some of those, like footballers, racing drivers, politicians, UK TV actors & film stars, then perhaps scrolling on the net. Some of the names in this have been long forgotten & often don't have Wiki pages but would definitely get obits in some UK online source.

The other thing that helps is when I'm looking for news of a candidate, it sometimes brings up another candidate - ie whilst looking for Kenneth Kaunda, I found out Chiluba was an ill man.

I am certain I will have 1 unique candidate on 2007 DDP providing they live that long and I may yet sneak another five in too. We shall see.

Sure you want to put Leeds Utd on the DDP... :)

Following another embarassing display tonight, I think everybody should put them down as dead certs (for relegation) ;)

Add West Ham whilst you're at it. :)