Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

4 minutes ago, time said:

Help for Households - apparently the capping of bus fares at £2 falls under that umbrella.

You'd need buses for that to be any help. My village does have a bus service of sorts but it only goes to one town and the last bus back is at 1800.  Nothing on Sundays.

Unless your chosen film has an early afternoon showing, you can forget going on the bus.

• Sad 1

Watched 'Beehive ' yesterday.   Don't waste your time.  A movie you switch on,  switch off your brain and wonder wtf have I just watched.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Had no idea what your first bit referred to having not seen the film - saw it last night. Enjoyed it very much, a melancholy little tale though. Agree, must have been a contact lens, I was trying to wrack my brains wondering if I'd never noticed that Paul Giamatti had such a severe lazy eye. My friend confirmed not.

I saw Downsizing at the cinema a few years ago - was not very impressed. It looked good from the trailer but fell somewhat flat. This was much better. Not seen the other 2, although I am aware of Election.

Oh it was deliberately cryptic, a poor habit of mine, my apologies. I've now also watched Election.

My view? Don't rush, The Holdovers is the best of them by a margin and the only one I'd rewatch at some point.

• Like 1

Me and my wife watched these two movies over the weekend. Very good if you like horror and suspense. 

Haunt it's trending on netflix

Rent a pal . This is my type of movie and if you love a building of tension and a brooding atmosphere this is it. 

On 17/01/2024 at 20:04, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I watched the original Mean Girls last year and surprisingly enjoyed it, enough to the point where I re-watched it over Christmas. Today I watched the film adaptation of the broadway adaptation and it isn't good. It removes a lot of the substance of the film and feels very rushed and forced, certain characters have their entire arcs removed from the film and although some of the songs are catchy the lyrics are utter drivel.

Tina Fey tried to scapegoat "millennials" for the reason her musical didn't do well.

Add it to a long list of amazing things that millennials have apparently ruined: Applebee's, mayonnaise, doorbells, ironing.

I haven't seen the Holdovers yet, but it's one of those movies where I peeked onto the movie set while they were filming, so I'm curious for that alone. Although some local people (townies) were saying the food they order in the restaurant are not on the actual menu.

I worked for Gear Daddies last night  

Packed venue and was kept busy for the majority of the evening. I was able to get a photo during the soundcheck and one quick photo during the show.

Probably their best known songs are on the album "Billy's Live Bait" 

PXL_20240216_221720808.jpg

PXL_20240217_041056052.jpg

3 more films seen at the cinema in recent weeks:

Argylle - I enjoyed it. A fun concept, a clever twist and didn't take itself too seriously. Not the most high-brow film ever, but if you've seen the Kingsman films you know that's not Matthew Vaughn's style. Some have said it's too complicated to follow, but it was straightforward enough to me. Got a bit meta and complicated at the end and in the post-credits though.

All of Us Strangers - wasn't actually on our radar to see, but the one we'd gone to see was sold out. Actually an interesting, poignant and eerie watch. A character piece heavily focused on Andrew Scott's character and his grief. A bit fantastical but enjoyed it more than I assumed I would.

American Fiction - what we planned to see the previous time, despite knowing relatively little about it beyond a clip on Graham Norton and the awards season buzz in certain categories (it won the BAFTA for Adapted Screenplay on Sunday). Really enjoyed it, funny, witty, satirical - just slightly concerned it didn't quite stick the landing. All went a bit meta in the final 5 minutes, when actually I'd have liked it to end with the fade to black that preceded it, which would have been very ballsy.

Really looking forward to Wicked Little Letters next week with Jessie Buckley and Olivia Colman. Hoping we may be able to find Anatomy of a Fall and Zone of Interest somewhere too in the coming weeks while the awards buzz continues.

My father and I have just watched Edgar Wright's 2021 film Last Night in Soho, we both absolutely loved it. Thomasin Mckenzie is brilliant in everything I've seen her in and Diana Rigg gives one hell of a final performance. Moral of the story don't glorify the past, most men are bastards and murder is bad. Also it was a nice reminder that Eloise by Barry Ryan is an absolute banger.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

My father and I have just watched Edgar Wright's 2021 film Last Night in Soho, we both absolutely loved it. Thomasin Mckenzie is brilliant in everything I've seen her in and Diana Rigg gives one hell of a final performance. Moral of the story don't glorify the past, most men are bastards and murder is bad. Also it was a nice reminder that Eloise by Barry Ryan is an absolute banger.

Loved this when we saw it in 2021, great twist at the end and agree it was a fantastic final role for Diana Rigg. Well worth a watch - and Eloise didn't win the 60s No. 2s round of the King of Songs for nothing, you know. ;)

• Like 2

I've been to the pictures again! 

Finally, a mere 55 years after it's release, I've managed to see Kes

Recommended.

• Sad 1

Can’t say I didn’t enjoy Baby Driver.

Because I did.  The ending (hell, the last 10 minutes) was forgettable though, which is sad.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 14:11, time said:

I've been to the pictures again! 

Finally, a mere 55 years after it's release, I've managed to see Kes

Recommended.

I got made to watch that movie when in school. Only seen it once but it made an impression on me that's for sure.

Dune II - it's solid. I actually like the somewhat added cynical side which was a good play by the film creators considering that the novel (and Lynch movie, and TV miniseries) are so well-known, meaning, simply portraying the plot without any subtext wasn't enough. The scenery and music is impressive, as expected.

Also, Christopher Walken is pretty deathlisty, isn't he? Think he should be on the list after Robert Wagner's death. He looks very aged in the movie, maybe somewhat on purpose. I thought he was a bit of a weak spot.

Dune Part 2 was a good watch but was both too long but also not long enough. What was on screen was fantastic and I understood so.e of the choices they have made but there is a lot more in the book

I'll be seeing this in a week or two. Can't say I'm wildly looking forward to it. The first one dragged for me - too long and ponderous. Can't remember the plot that well, so the second one should be fun! Paul Atreides is an outcast, his father has been killed and he's been taken in by Zendaya's people is where we left it. There's also some giant sand worms and everyone's obsessed with spice. That's what I got from more than 2.5 hours of screen time... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Watched 'Spaceman ' at the weekend. An hour and a half of my life I won't get back.  Too weird for my liking,  a spidermonkey type of creature in a spaceship for company with Adam Sandler was a step too far.  (IMO) 

Three more films seen in recent weeks:

Wicked Little Letters - very enjoyable, Jessie Buckley is always worth watching and Olivia Colman was her usual self. Very sweary, and you'll see the twist coming a mile off but a classic British caper trying to catch the culprit. And it seems a decent chunk of it is true, more than I thought would be when watching it.

Bob Marley: One Love - don't know much about the man himself in all honesty, so was interesting to watch. Plot was quite vague and it wasn't the most engaging biopic I've ever seen, felt somewhat like it was just made to cash in on the Bohemian Rhapsody/Rocketman/Whitney Houston bandwagon. There's a better film in there to be made I think. Performances were good though from the leading couple.

Zone of Interest - saw it last night, really unsettling watch but well worth it if you get the chance. Possibly the most aural film I've ever seen (it completely deserved its Best Sound Oscar). Hard to watch this outwardly very normal family punctuated with subtle reminders of the horrors being committed. Plot was meandering, but it was much more a character study. Christian Friedel and Sandra Huller are superb. Still thinking about it.

Still not got around to Dune 2, it's going to be around for ages and we've more pressing concerns with smaller releases that will disappear sooner.

• Like 2

Just watched Lisa Frankenstein. Another one hour 40 minutes of my life I won't get back. Utter shite.  It might appeal to youngsters.  

On 13/03/2024 at 21:40, RoverAndOut said:

Zone of Interest - saw it last night, really unsettling watch but well worth it if you get the chance. Possibly the most aural film I've ever seen (it completely deserved its Best Sound Oscar). Hard to watch this outwardly very normal family punctuated with subtle reminders of the horrors being committed. Plot was meandering, but it was much more a character study. Christian Friedel and Sandra Huller are superb. Still thinking about it

I watched this last night and agree it's unsettling but more for what you don't see than what you do - I expected this going in of course but it's still a weird experience.

I'd also recommend seeing it without reading any more about it if you can avoid doing so. Not so much because of possible spoilers, more because I feel it's one of those films that's a better experience the less you know beforehand.

A recent refreshing of what you know about Auschwitz wouldn't go amiss or detract though, amongst others there's a reference to 'Canada' that you'd miss unless you remembered what it was in context.

It definitely benefits from decent sound equipment if you can get it, either at the local cinema or one of those home surround setups preferably with a sub, it's not crash bang wallop but you'd miss a lot without it.

Not for those that need 'in your face' entertainment though, a lot of its impact is inside your head already if you know anything about the holocaust.

• Like 1

I've just watched Scoop on Netflix, the new film about the Prince Andrew interview. It was fine, well directed but Billie Piper as the lead character is just a bit boring, she puts in a fine enough performance but there was nothing for me to connect to. It also felt weirdly sympathetic towards Andrew at points and I don't know if that was intentional. There's a solid ten-fifteen minutes of just recreating the actual interview which is near perfect but at that point you might as well just watch the real thing, in fact that probably applies to the entire film, just watch the original news-night special instead.

I started to watch Oppenheimer last night, but fell asleep after an hour and woke up at 0330 on the sofa.

On 22/02/2024 at 22:17, RoverAndOut said:

All of Us Strangers - wasn't actually on our radar to see, but the one we'd gone to see was sold out. Actually an interesting, poignant and eerie watch. A character piece heavily focused on Andrew Scott's character and his grief. A bit fantastical but enjoyed it more than I assumed I would.

So depressing though.  It could have been a very uplifting film if ..... no spoilers though.   I found the incessant ominous background music increasingly tiresome.

45 minutes ago, Toast said:

I started to watch Oppenheimer last night, but fell asleep after an hour and woke up at 0330 on the sofa.

So depressing though.  It could have been a very uplifting film if ..... no spoilers though.   I found the incessant ominous background music increasingly tiresome.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it could have had a happier, healing ending. Interesting film though.

Oppenheimer's good, but quite weighty. Probably not a just before bed film.

Watched any David Lynch yet?