Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

The latest Jackass movie is reassuringly puerile with more ball sac close ups than any predecessor. Myself and the young 'un  greatly enjoyed our big screen experience, going on the gales of laughter around us so did several others. Ends on a big production number built around "The Vomitron," basically a fast moving roundabout on which a few of the cast attempt to drink large quantities of milk whilst undergoing severe centrifugal forces, before the whole thing ends in a shoot out!

• Like 1

Watched the new Ghostbusters - fell asleep half-way through. 
I was more interested of recognizing the places it was filmed at. 

• Like 2

Just been to see Death on the Nile

Very difficult to judge as I remember the Peter Ustinov one so vividly. It drags at the beginning but warms up in the second half. 

Egypt is probably the Star.

• Like 4

Watched Godard's One Plus One (Sympathy For The Devil) in the small hours of yesterday morning. I really like the scene in the sleazy bookshop and the "interview" scene with Anne Wiazemski. Also noticed that the film's almost exactly at the halfway mark when "Sympathy For The Devil" suddenly starts sounding like its final form.

• Like 1

Oddly enough all four films that were trailed at the beginning of Death on the Nile either my wife or I said we wouldn't mind seeing which is a rarity mostly the trailers are utter for utter trash

• Like 1

Dangerous Liaisons is currently on iPlayer and it's brilliant. Great cast and the costumes and locations are excellent. As a fan of Cruel Intentions it's fun to see how much was copied from the earlier film despite the radical differences in period and setting.

• Like 1

I went to the cinema on my own last night for the first ever time. I needed to kill some time whilst my wife and daughter were at a show in Birmingham.

The choice was between Downton Abbey and the new Dr Strange film

Because I do still have some standards I picked Marvel instead of Julian Fellows and went it. I will try to avoid spoilers but as this is the first Marvel film outside the X-Men franchise I have seen I am not sure what counts as spoilers but there were a lot of things that I felt I was missing the point of because I had not seen the preceding films. However even taking that into account between Benedict Cumberbatch's American accent and the complete lack of coherent plot it was not a great film just a series of overlong pitched special effects laden battles which bored me but judging by the response of the rest of the audience there was certain ripples of excitement when certain characters appeared though to me it just felt like those later series of Allo, Allo where the characters come on and say their line and it gets a laugh anyway whether it is funny or not.

However I may not be the key demographic for this movie and possibly a grumpy old film snob

• Like 4

Yeah, see I wouldn't have hesitated to see Downton Abbey because I know at least I'd be able to follow the plot.  On the other hand I might have gone for Doctor Strange on the mistaken assumption that it was a Stephen King thing.

I've seen films in the cinema alone a number of times over the years.  I saw all the LOTR films by myself as at the time I didn't know anyone else who wanted to go, and/or was free to go. 

I only wish I had realised earlier in life that you can go to things on your own.  I missed out on a lot because of other people not liking the same things as me.

Last film I watched was Midsommar.  That was a mindfuck. :wacko:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I went to the cinema on my own last night for the first ever time. I needed to kill some time whilst my wife and daughter were at a show in Birmingham.

Because I do still have some standards I picked Marvel instead of Julian Fellows and went it. I will try to avoid spoilers but as this is the first Marvel film outside the X-Men franchise I have seen I am not sure what counts as spoilers but there were a lot of things that I felt I was missing the point of because I had not seen the preceding films. However even taking that into account between Benedict Cumberbatch's American accent and the complete lack of coherent plot it was not a great film just a series of overlong pitched special effects laden battles which bored me but judging by the response of the rest of the audience there was certain ripples of excitement when certain characters appeared though to me it just felt like those later series of Allo, Allo where the characters come on and say their line and it gets a laugh anyway whether it is funny or not.

However I may not be the key demographic for this movie and possibly a grumpy old film snob

I watched the Marvel films (the MCU ones) in timeline-order (rather than release order)  for precisely this reason, over Christmas & New Year, on Disney+. Enjoyed them, and I'm probably not the key demographic either!

However, because Disney doesn't own the rights to The Incredible Hulk, it wasn't included. It's now on Amazon Prime, so I gave it a viewing last night, but that didn't really seem to fit into the chronology - William Hurt is still General Ross, Robert Downey Jr is still Tony Stark/Iron Man (& Stan Lee still has a cameo), which implies it is part of the chronology, but it very much feels a stand-alone movie., possibly because Ed Norton was replaced by Mark Ruffalo for subsequent MCU appearances. 

The Spiderman (rev 3) films weren't on Disney+ either (same reason, distribution rights), but Homecoming has appeared on Netflix, so I'm tempted to watch that tonight. At least Tom Holland isn't replaced by anyone.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2022 at 13:17, Bibliogryphon said:

I hadn't seen any of them until a few months before the release of Endgame in 2019, then watched the lot and am fully immersed now. Went to see it on Sunday with my mate, and in our discussions afterwards, we were trying to consider it as a standalone film and as something someone could enjoy without any background and suggested that in this instance, rightly or wrongly, Marvel was past that point now. The universe is too involved now to explain everything at every juncture. Many of the recent releases have been standalone (Shang-Chi, Eternals, the recent Moon Knight series on Disney+), but Doctor Strange 2 required some knowledge of Doctor Strange's backstory and, to really get it, a fair amount of understanding of Wanda's backstory, which was expanded on in the Disney+ series WandaVision too. I can fully understand why you would have been disappointed/unimpressed, and I also think it wasn't a perfect film by any means, but I did really enjoy it overall.

Oh, and Downton Abbey was alright too overall. :lol:

• Like 2

On 06/05/2022 at 15:22, time said:

I watched the Marvel films (the MCU ones) in timeline-order (rather than release order)  for precisely this reason, over Christmas & New Year, on Disney+. Enjoyed them, and I'm probably not the key demographic either!

However, because Disney doesn't own the rights to The Incredible Hulk, it wasn't included. It's now on Amazon Prime, so I gave it a viewing last night, but that didn't really seem to fit into the chronology - William Hurt is still General Ross, Robert Downey Jr is still Tony Stark/Iron Man (& Stan Lee still has a cameo), which implies it is part of the chronology, but it very much feels a stand-alone movie., possibly because Ed Norton was replaced by Mark Ruffalo for subsequent MCU appearances. 

The Spiderman (rev 3) films weren't on Disney+ either (same reason, distribution rights), but Homecoming has appeared on Netflix, so I'm tempted to watch that tonight. At least Tom Holland isn't replaced by anyone.

The Incredible Hulk is definitely a bit of an anomaly. It is definitely part of the MCU generally, but is often overlooked for various reasons. General Ross obviously pops up many times afterwards, and Banner does although played by someone different. Liv Tyler has never appeared again in the MCU as Betty Ross, but the character did appear in one of the 'What If?' Disney+ series episodes. Tim Roth's character (no spoilers) makes a brief appearance in Shang-Chi, and I think he may appear again in the upcoming She-Hulk Disney+ series, but it's not as interconnected as many other MCU films. The Downey Jr. appearance at the end was tagged on to show the interconnected nature of the universe they'd started creating, and Stan Lee cameos in every Marvel film whether MCU or not (until his death).

The Spiderman films (Homecoming, Far From Home, No Way Home), although not on Disney+, are completely part of the MCU, featuring characters from the MCU and influenced by events in the MCU. 

• Like 1

Everything Everywhere All at Once

An incredible onslaught on senses and mind. The sheer intensity of everything gets a little watered down because the movie is 20 minutes too long, but until then, two thumbs up.

• Like 3

Cha cha real smooth.

A rom com of sorts. Had never heard of lead man (Cooper something) before but he looks like a young David Tennant so may appeal to certain of you for differing reasons. At one time the plot threatens to go in a Graduate-type direction but ultimately doesn't really end up going anywhere. The cougar mother is Dakota Johnson, whom I had only previously encountered when being dragged to see two of the 50 shades films at the cinema by GAB. The good news is she's still gorgeous (unfeasibly so for someone who has spent the last 17 years bringing up an autistic daughter solo) and has also learned to act a bit. The bad news  - for people like me at least -  is that she is now sufficiently well known not to have to take her clothes off at regular intervals (or indeed at all in this case).

Not awful but probably one for couples only.

• Like 1

How many of you can put on a movie, walk to the house where the movie’s main star lives, and walk back home before the movie is complete? 

Boudicca and Sir Creep can.

The movie: 8 Mile.

The movie’s star: Eminem.

FTR Eminem lives about a half mile away, as a crow flies (‘Americans will use ANYTHING to avoid using the metric system’).

DC44142E-CE3D-45B8-B13A-8339D407BB42.jpeg

• Like 1

Banana Splits movie. A horror movie involving the characters from the kids show Banana Splits. Funny little B movie with some cool gore scenes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cropsy said:

Banana Splits movie. A horror movie involving the characters from the kids show Banana Splits. Funny little B movie with some cool gore scenes.

One Banana, Two banana, Three banana, gore!

• Like 1

I watched The Father (on Netflix) recently. Anthony Hopkins fully deserving of his Academy award.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2022 at 18:32, time said:

I watched The Father (on Netflix) recently. Anthony Hopkins fully deserving of his Academy award.

Excellent film. Very interesting experiencing dementia from the sufferer's perspective. Remember leaving the cinema still unsure as to what the truth was.

• Like 1

Dunno how many people hereabouts have seen Elvis, I'd presume to know quite a bit about the man and his history so had a few worries (especially about Tom Hanks' casting as The Colonel). Would have to say I thought it really good. The main drawback being that - a bit like Will Smith as Muhammad Ali - you have to get your head round the fact the original guy looked so recognizable that no actor can totally carry it off. A few scenes take liberties with the truth to move the story forward (notably the way Elvis and Parker's near-split in 1974 is treated), but it's a timely reminder of how great he was at his best and the 2 hours 40 didn't drag at all IMHO. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen this - don't think it's out yet, but it looks promising.  I loved these two in In Bruges.

• Like 2

Me and the wife just finished watching the black phone . Love movies especially horror set in the 70s/80s. Brilliant movie you're really rooting for the main character by the end and Ethan hawke's character really is easy to hate, definitely gets you invested. We were actually saying that it reminds us of a few Stephen king movies we've seen. Come to find out it's based on a short story by Stephen king's son Joe hill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Me and the wife just finished watching the black phone . Love movies especially horror set in the 70s/80s. Brilliant movie you're really rooting for the main character by the end and Ethan hawke's character really is easy to hate, definitely gets you invested. We were actually saying that it reminds us of a few Stephen king movies we've seen. Come to find out it's based on a short story by Stephen king's son Joe hill.

Watched about 3/4 of it so far. ( I really must find time to watch a film ) From what I've seen of it, it looks a really good film and might not be able to watch the remaining bit until Friday. 

B.T.W. Question to all.  Is the Elvis film any good? 

• Like 2

On 15/08/2022 at 20:04, the_engineer said:

Thanks for your post. You're now the third unconnected person that's recommended this film, which means it's passed my arbitrary scoring system. (Once is a fluke, twice a coincidence, thrice is a pattern.)

I now have to figure out how to access it because the same arbitrary system forbids me to watch anything else until this one is checked off the list. Providing it passes the next test. The 10 minute rule.

Warmest Regards! :D

• Like 2