DevonDeathTrip

Hunger Strikers

On 27/10/2021 at 15:11, the_engineer said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59030936

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe's Husband begins a new hunger strike. He must really love her ,sadly I don't see this having a happy ending.

Celebs are even going to him. I saw on Twitter Victoria Coren-Mitchell visit him.

Oh and Keir Starmer trying to get the votes:

He suggested today that he’s about to give it up in the next couple of days because he doesn’t want it to impact his health. Sensible decision. He’s done well and he got a lot of media attention to the cause, which I suppose was the key aim.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Shame his missus can't end her incarceration just like that. Where's his fucking solidarity?

Him and Brendan Cox I won't miss if they never get reported on again. Probably another decade of it at least though.

13 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

AAQOAXd_img.thumb.jpeg.6f569daaa9a93eb7c60b3b2282369756.jpeg

I was wondering when the new series of The Undateables was due to start.

These people are so middle class it's painful. Doubt they'd last 5 days on a hunger strike.

Then again, considering they likely live on a diet of rabbit food most days, not eating anything won't seem too dissimilar.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

AAQOAXd_img.thumb.jpeg.6f569daaa9a93eb7c60b3b2282369756.jpeg

I was wondering when the new series of The Undateables was due to start.

These people are so middle class it's painful. Doubt they'd last 5 days on a hunger strike.

Then again, considering they likely live on a diet of rabbit food most days, not eating anything won't seem too dissimilar.

I can smell them through the screen.Stale farts hotdog water and mothballs.

• Haha 1

Interestingly the blue haired one with the sign got a reduced sentence due to ill health.Looks rough as a dogs arse and is only 58.

• Shocked 1

On 08/11/2021 at 21:57, arghton said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/11/8/georgias-ex-president-saakashvili-moved-to-prison-hospital

Mikheil Saakashvili moved to a prison hospital in a helicopter.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/europe-s-east/news/medics-say-georgia-hunger-striking-ex-leader-saakashvili-critical/

Saakashvili in critical condition according to a council of medics.

On 18/11/2021 at 11:40, arghton said:

https://civil.ge/archives/464654

Mikheil Saakashvili still in a prison hospital. Suffering from fluctuating blood pressure and a hypertensive crisis according to doctors.

Since he can’t be considered for Cup play…

Spokesperson for the Prisoner Affairs Commission said that the Israeli Prison Services (IPS) urgently transferred Khalil Awawdeh, from the Ramleh Prison to an Israeli hospital following a serious deterioration of his health.

Awawdeh, 40, a resident of Idhna town in the southern West Bank district of Hebron, has been on a hunger strike for 57 days now in protest of his illegal administrative detention without charge or trial.

SC

89 or 92-year-old Sikh activist Surat Singh Khalsa who has been on an (on-off?) hunger strike for seven (!!!!) years visited by some guy. He's fed through tubes. Not sure what's old news and what's new but he actually looks decent in the pictures, but apparently hasn't taken food since January 2015. He looked very frail back then.

That new picture:

bapu.jpg.3d4025d039739bf61f298e5c26ebc15d.jpg

Bapu Surat Singh Khalsa mentioned above ends his 8-year hunger strike. He's been in a hospital since June 2016 and fed through a NG tube because he's, until now, refused to eat anything via his mouth. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arghton said:

Bapu Surat Singh Khalsa mentioned above ends his 8-year hunger strike. He's been in a hospital since June 2016 and fed through a NG tube because he's, until now, refused to eat anything via his mouth. 

Yeah, cos they started to bung McDonalds down the tube. 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2023 at 01:09, arghton said:

This has gotten quite interesting:

First, a week ago some group said they want him to attend a protest. Then two days ago they tried to forcefully discharge him from the hospital saying he's detained there, but were apparently stopped by police. Now they're protesting to get him discharged, and a police commissioner says:

We have received the request for Khalsa’s discharge and he is being medically examined daily. He was admitted to the hospital eight years ago and once his reports are all okay, he will be discharged. We are not keeping him forcefully inside the hospital.

What are the chances they're forced to discharge him in some horrible state and he'll die a few days later?

On 01/03/2023 at 21:52, arghton said:

This has gotten quite interesting:

First, a week ago some group said they want him to attend a protest. Then two days ago they tried to forcefully discharge him from the hospital saying he's detained there, but were apparently stopped by police. Now they're protesting to get him discharged, and a police commissioner says:

We have received the request for Khalsa’s discharge and he is being medically examined daily. He was admitted to the hospital eight years ago and once his reports are all okay, he will be discharged. We are not keeping him forcefully inside the hospital.

What are the chances they're forced to discharge him in some horrible state and he'll die a few days later?

Surat Singh Khalsa discharged.

• Like 1

A few years ago, I had considered hunger striker Nacho Rocha as a DDP pick. I  decided against him partially because I wasn't even sure he'd qualify via the rules.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2023 at 16:51, arghton said:

Surat Singh Khalsa has recently gone on hunger strike again and media calls it a "death fast" as he's completely refusing any kind of food. 

According to facebook posts local cops have moved Surat Singh Khalsa back to the hospital because his "physical condition is critical" and the authorities don't want him to die.

SO many places I could post this…

A Kenyan accused of involvement in the deaths of hundreds of members of a starvation cult has died after a 10-day hunger strike in police custody, a prosecutor said on Wednesday.

Joseph Buyuka was among 30 people, including self-styled pastor Paul Mackenzie of Good News International Church, in custody over the deaths of 337 followers of the church.

SC

• Like 1