Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

I don't know about 2008, but Percy Sonn, President of the International Cricket Council is evidently seriously ill in intensive care following a recent operation. Definitely a UK obit. somewhere, not least because of his ill-considered behaviour during the 2003 World Cup and the debacle of this year's effort.

Following a referral to the 3rd umpire in the sky, Percy's on his way after a sketchy knock of 57.

rot_027asml.jpg

I don't know about 2008, but Percy Sonn, President of the International Cricket Council is evidently seriously ill in intensive care following a recent operation. Definitely a UK obit. somewhere, not least because of his ill-considered behaviour during the 2003 World Cup and the debacle of this year's effort.

Too Late...

....and I bloody was an' all!

The current longest serving member of the House Of Lords Peter Carington is 88 and had his seat for 67 of those. Aparantly one of his predesors in that role had his seat for 72 years and managed never to speak in the house. Ah democracy...

Any one else pick up on the missing Jim Nabors from the Indy500 opening?

Think I'm moving him up in my list to about position 35th.

Perhaps he's gone fishing or something.... :lol:

Is it this Jim Nabors? If so, what does he have to do with the Indy 500?

Guest Guest
Is it this Jim Nabors? If so, what does he have to do with the Indy 500?

According to that article, he's sung some dumb flagwaving song at the start of every Indy 500 for the last 29 years, and an 'illness' kept him away this year.

There's nothing like a celebrity to advertise the fact that they will cop it.

There's a TV programme this week in which Beryl Bainbridge thinks she's had it

and wont be long for this world...

But the evidence of the blurb for suggests no concrete evidence,

Judge for yourself...

Not impressed with Bainbridge's reasoning, I mean, the genetic stuff, okay, but I'd have more money on Gazza carking it next year than her.

Former Indian Prime Minister, V P Singh, is in hospital for undisclosed reasons. He suffers from kidney problems and "benign cancer symptons"

Also, Sonia Peres, the wife of Shimon Peres, suffered severe heart failure last week, after watching a critical documentary about her husband's bitter rivalry with Yitzhak Rabin. She might not be famous enough just yet, but as Shimon Peres is in the running to be Israel's next President, she would certainly attract UK press attention if she were to die while he was running the country.

It was rather vague about his illness, but it must have been a sudden one as just a week before the event he was all packed & ready to go, fit as a fiddle etc as he was interviewed ad nauseum about it.

As for Lord Carrington, he lives 5 miles from me but keeps a quiet life. As far as I know he's healthy but shuns publicity, so it's hard to tell when he hasn't made a recent public appearance of how he looks etc.

probably won't get a UK obit, but talk show radio host in the Twin Cities, Kevyn Burger has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

However she may get a bit more media attention as she recently won a Gracie award for highlighting the need for women to do self examinations more frequently in order to detect breast cancer.

Zdravko Tolimir, "Serbia's third most wanted man", has been arrested and delivered to the war crimes tribunal in The Hague. He is believed to be suffering from cancer.

You know, I was watching that Andrew Marr show about post-war Britain the other day

and when he mentioned Gaitskell, I thought that there hadn't been any major political deaths

since John smith in 1994 and none from the government since Tony Crosland (I think) in 1977.

It would be of supreme irony if Prezza was to cop it and overshadow Blair's long goodbye... :o

You know, I was watching that Andrew Marr show about post-war Britain the other day

and when he mentioned Gaitskell, I thought that there hadn't been any major political deaths

since John smith in 1994 and none from the government since Tony Crosland (I think) in 1977.

:o

Donald Dewar? Lord Williams? Both died whilst they were part of the Labour cabinet and/or held a major role in the Labour power machine....

Donald Dewar? Lord Williams? Both died whilst they were part of the Labour cabinet and/or held a major role in the Labour power machine....

Lord Williams? My mind's a blank on that one! Donald Dewar didn't hold such a high profile position, although if we're talking prominent politicians, then Robin Cook, albeit not in the cabinet, was a big loss, in more ways than one.....

Lord Williams? My mind's a blank on that one! Donald Dewar didn't hold such a high profile position, although if we're talking prominent politicians, then Robin Cook, albeit not in the cabinet, was a big loss, in more ways than one.....

Tony Banks?

Same rules as Robin Cook, but Mo Mowlam's loss was a huge one in British politics.

Gareth Williams, Lord Williams of Mostyn for the most recent cabinet minister death.

Ian Gow was a high-ranking government minister at the time of his killing by the IRA back in 1990, but not a member of the cabinet as my mind originally thought.

Sir Anthony Berry was killed in the Brighton bombing in 1984. At the time of his death, he was one of the government's chief whips.

I swear there was at least one in the mid 90's, of natural causes, when John Major's paper-thin majority kept going down & down by MP's snuffing it left, right & centre. (and wasn't there a Lib Dem senior figure who died early? I can't remember..)

Fakhruddin Ahmed, c'mon guys, he's world famous being interim leader of Bangladesh and that.

Anyway, he's hit the deck making a speech. Might be the searing heatwave in his home country, might be summat more sinister.

On a totally spurious note, there's an area of Maryport - famed for the level of benefit claimed by the residents - that was for many years known to locals as 'Bangladesh.'

As the BBC plans to can Grandstand, it might be worth keeping an eye on Peter Dimmock, its first presenter (born 1920), pictured here. A more recent pic is at the end of this series.

Dimmock certainly had kept a low profile recently, but it appears he's happily retired. He'll be on telly soon, in a documentary about Queen Elizabeth II's coronation and has fond memories of the toilets at that time.

I swear there was at least one in the mid 90's, of natural causes, when John Major's paper-thin majority kept going down & down by MP's snuffing it left, right & centre. (and wasn't there a Lib Dem senior figure who died early? I can't remember..)

In the 90s there was a Tory MP for Eastleigh, Stephen Milligan, who was struck down by a terrible illness involving stockings, a satsuma and a walnut.

Same rules as Robin Cook, but Mo Mowlam's loss was a huge one in British politics.

Gareth Williams, Lord Williams of Mostyn for the most recent cabinet minister death.

Ian Gow was a high-ranking government minister at the time of his killing by the IRA back in 1990, but not a member of the cabinet as my mind originally thought.

Sir Anthony Berry was killed in the Brighton bombing in 1984. At the time of his death, he was one of the government's chief whips.

One of the most significant deaths came in 1979, when just weeks before the General Election, one of Thatcher's aides Airey Neave, was killed by an INLA (whoever they are) bomb. Just months afterwards, Lord Mountbatten was killed by the the IRA's aqua division. There have subsequent rumours that the pair were involved in a conspiracy to take over Britian at the appropriate moment.... :o

The Anglican Archbishop of Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia, Whakahuihui Vercoe of Rotorua :) , is reported to be ill. He is 77 and was described as "frail" in this report published in 2004.

I am unable to provide any further information whatsoever about him, but I couldn't let a finely named, ecclesiastical, Vietnam veteran go without giving him a mention. :P