Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

Double world champion, John Phelps is suffering from liver cancer.

World champions tend to get a mention in the press when they die, but would this apply to a world champion...hairdresser? :(

Julia Carson, Indianapolis' first African-American Congresswoman, has terminal lung cancer.

Would she get an obit?

Not a chance. Julia Carson will get minor coverage from CNN\The Washington post but as far as the DDP required obituary goes she is nothing more then a waste of space. It's a shame because she won't make spring time.

Julia Carson, Indianapolis' first African-American Congresswoman, has terminal lung cancer.

Would she get an obit?

Not a chance. Julia Carson will get minor coverage from CNN\The Washington post but as far as the DDP required obituary goes she is nothing more then a waste of space. It's a shame because she won't make spring time.

Double shame. She'd be a cert for the Weatherman Dead Pool 08/09.... :(

World champions tend to get a mention in the press when they die, but would this apply to a world champion...hairdresser? :(

Doubt it, in fact I'd be dubious about him getting the bare qualification for the DDP of a tabloid paragraph. They like more freakish stuff so I'm seriously thinking of nominating Winnie Langley to puff her last in 2008, but this guy.....not sure.

Doubt it, in fact I'd be dubious about him getting the bare qualification for the DDP of a tabloid paragraph. They like more freakish stuff so I'm seriously thinking of nominating Winnie Langley to puff her last in 2008, but this guy.....not sure.

so a double world champion hairdresser wouldn't qualify but a 14 yr old with cancer would?

I think Phelps has done more than to deserve some sort of fame status than someone who gets a passing mention on the BBC as the "and finally..." story

On AOL searching 'John Phelps + world champion' leads to the story already linked. A few stops down you get this making it obvious that champioship hairdressing is as much a vanity sport as the real thing, doubt we'll see it in the Olympics anyday soon. So Phelps is as much Leona Lewis as Carl Lewis, sort of thing. Re the comparison with cancer riddled 14 year olds, take yer point but DDP points rely on newspaper articles and the truth is John Phelps would still be summat of an outside bet IMHO. For starters the article linked to his mention here is a local paper. If - for example - a former member of a dodgy old band like The Sweet were ill believed dead I have a hunch 'The Sun' would be on it already.

Re the above Terry Lubbock gets BBC coverage after collapsing with a seizure and ending up seriously ill in hospital. Not a double world champion hairdresser, more the dad of someone involved in the news. If he didn't recover and pegged out in 2008, such a level of coverage would be worth points.

Bobby Robson looked decidedly shaky on the Sports Personality prog last night

Re the above Terry Lubbock gets BBC coverage after collapsing with a seizure and ending up seriously ill in hospital. Not a double world champion hairdresser, more the dad of someone involved in the news. If he didn't recover and pegged out in 2008, such a level of coverage would be worth points.

Barely registers on the Fame-o-meter. Who could even name the guy who drowned in Barrymore's pool, much less his father?

Barely registers on the Fame-o-meter. Who could even name the guy who drowned in Barrymore's pool, much less his father?

Totally agree CR but that's not really the point I'm making, his death would be - near enough - a guaranteed score for anyone picking him under 2008 DDP rules. 'Fame' 'achievement' and 'newsworthy' are not necessarily the same thing.

Bobby Robson looked decidedly shaky on the Sports Personality prog last night

Just what I thought as well - I thought his speech was a bit slurred too, he's definitely a candidate for my list next year.

Totally agree CR but that's not really the point I'm making, his death would be - near enough - a guaranteed score for anyone picking him under 2008 DDP rules. 'Fame' 'achievement' and 'newsworthy' are not necessarily the same thing.

Sounds more like a desperate attempt for any points going

It's two different categories, and if indeed he'd score on the DDP under the current rules, then MPFC's well within his rights to select him. It's one of the reasons I don't bother with the DDP - who cares if the father of Barrymore's pool boy dies?

It's two different categories, and if indeed he'd score on the DDP under the current rules, then MPFC's well within his rights to select him. It's one of the reasons I don't bother with the DDP - who cares if the father of Barrymore's pool boy dies?

the same reason why I don't do the DDP

too many are considered as possibilites.

what claim to fame does father or Barrymore's pool boy have anyway apart from being interviewed on the news?

Guest Mrs Lubbock

I care.

World champions tend to get a mention in the press when they die, but would this apply to a world champion...hairdresser? :D

Phelps is getting coverage for not being dead :unsure:

Tony Snow who announced that his cancer was in remission back in October says in this article “I’m going to give about 100 speeches next year.” After hearing that I doubt he will have a place on my list.

(Sorry) the link is anti - presentable.

(Sorry) the link is anti - presentable.

presented

I hope he makes it since it seems like he is a nice guy. I think this is putting a brave face on it. His cancer is spread throughout his body including his brain.

World champions tend to get a mention in the press when they die, but would this apply to a world champion...hairdresser? :D

That's the story that was linked above. Kind of makes the point, mind. He's a local hero by the looks of it who scammed a few television appearances. For all our discussions of him that story has only gathered one more on line comment since I first looked at it. Even my usual barrel scraping, oh sorry: I mean skilled and discerning studying of form, wouldn't risk him on the DDP.

That's the story that was linked above. Kind of makes the point, mind. He's a local hero by the looks of it who scammed a few television appearances. For all our discussions of him that story has only gathered one more on line comment since I first looked at it. Even my usual barrel scraping, oh sorry: I mean skilled and discerning studying of form, wouldn't risk him on the DDP.

barrel-scraping sums it up entirely

I'm not sure I'd pick John Phelps either - I've got bigger, ecclesiastical fish to fry.

Going by the photo on his website, it looks like Phelps might be the man responsible for perming Peter Shilton - that's got to count for something.

Furthermore, I can advise you that he's worked in the movies as well:

John has won hairdressing competitions all over the world and was the hairdressing consultant for the movie Blow Dry which starred the legendary Alan Rickman.

I'm not sure I'd pick John Phelps either - I've got bigger, ecclesiastical fish to fry.

Going by the photo on his website, it looks like Phelps might be the man responsible for perming Peter Shilton - that's got to count for something.

Furthermore, I can advise you that he's worked in the movies as well:

John has won hairdressing competitions all over the world and was the hairdressing consultant for the movie Blow Dry which starred the legendary Alan Rickman.

someone finally had to claim responsibility for Shilton's perm. now who was responsible for Kevin Keegan?