Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Claude Levi-Strauss

Guest Guest

The health of Claude Lévi-Strauss is very frail. It's explains the persistent absence of Mr. Lévi-Strauss in public events.

Or he might just be staying home to watch TV. :)

Mr. Lévi-Strauss don't like TV. He is a eminent intellectual. Besides, the Lévi-Strauss's articles in french press haven't published for long time.

The health of Claude Lévi-Strauss is very frail. It's explains the persistent absence of Mr. Lévi-Strauss in public events.

Or he might just be staying home to watch TV. :)

Mr. Lévi-Strauss don't like TV. He is a eminent intellectual. Besides, the Lévi-Strauss's articles in french press haven't published for long time.

I bet for £200K he'd haul his old arse into the celebrity Big Brother house.

How fabulous that someone other than myself has dredged the poor Professor up from the deepest darkest recesses of! Welcome, guest!

I "regularly" check for updates on french Google, but I 1) can never find anything new and 2) am not really sure what I'm looking at when I try to forage www.google.fr . Please keep us updated, guest! You give me hope. :)

Guest Guest

The life of Mr. Lévi-Strauss has been very reclusive for many months. The last notice about Mr. Lévi-Strauss happened in early of this year. He has a brief participation in a anthropological exposition at Museum of Man in Paris. In this occasion, the look of Mr. Lévi-Strauss revealed a extreme fragility.

I bet for £200K he'd haul his old arse into the celebrity Big Brother house.

Tempus; you're very close to a proposal I sent to Endemol mere weeks ago; Celebrity Carking Brother, kind of obvious format really except we don't vote on who leaves the house, just on what they do in there. So - for example - if the cross country running was picked ahead of drinking a pint of cream I think the oldsters would be seen off first.

Despite my rebuff from everyone in television with my idea of the footie league for the terminally ill, I've high hopes for this.

The life of Mr. Lévi-Strauss has been very reclusive for many months. The last notice about Mr. Lévi-Strauss happened in early of this year. He has a brief participation in a anthropological exposition at Museum of Man in Paris. In this occasion, the look of Mr. Lévi-Strauss revealed a extreme fragility.

Thank you again, Guest, for this limited but much-appreciated insight.

Unfortunately, I think that at 97 years of age, 'fragility' comes with the territory and is not really a decisive indicator of the state of his health. I suppose the very fact that he attended the exposition speaks somewhat to the degree to which his faculties are still under his control, really.

Any chance you have links to any relevant photos from said exposition? That would be great. :D

Guest Guest

The health state of Mr. Lévi-Strauss is critical. He may die in few months at most. Mr. Lévi-Strauss is the greatest alive thinker of his generation. His splendid book Tristes Tropiques, translated as A World on the Wane, is seminal.

The health state of Mr. Lévi-Strauss is critical. He may die in few months at most. Mr. Lévi-Strauss is the greatest alive thinker of his generation. His splendid book Tristes Tropiques, translated as A World on the Wane, is seminal.

Really? Can you provide us with a link to your news source? :D

I appreciate your input, guest, as Mr. Levi-Strauss is on my team. I would point out, however, that being "the greatest alive thinker of his generation" is not really high praise since there's only about half a dozen of them left.

Guest Christian

Today professor Claude Lévi-Strauss can celebrate his 98th-birthday! :shoot: I, unlike the most of you on this site, hope he will live for another year or to at least, so that we can celebrate this great thinker a little bit more. He deserves to be celebrated, having made some crucial contributions to the science of man, and he is actually still active. I can see that some of you ask for some information about Lévi-Strauss. I posted a link last year about him participating in a conference in Spain, and he still writes articles every now and then. He has, however, withdrawn from public life in generel, because he has got the Parkinson disease (like Michael J. Fox), but otherwise he is still going strong. Happy birthday, Claude!

Christian, student of anthropology

Today professor Claude Lévi-Strauss can celebrate his 98th-birthday! :) I, unlike the most of you on this site, hope he will live for another year or to at least, so that we can celebrate this great thinker a little bit more.

How the hell do you know what most of us think? I don't hope anyone discussed here dies. Neither am I rubbing my hands together in the hope that people on my deadpool lists die either. There is a big difference Mr so-called student of anthropology between "hoping they will" and "thinking they will".

In fact if one day I am famous enough, I would welcome being deathlisted since I would find it a great incentive to "prove the bastards wrong".

So you can take your self-serving, smug, patronising, sanctimonious remarks about Levi-Strauss and stick 'em up your arse. We need details of his health but the fact is you know nothing more about him than anyone else outside his inner circle.

Today professor Claude Lévi-Strauss can celebrate his 98th-birthday! :) I, unlike the most of you on this site, hope he will live for another year or to at least, so that we can celebrate this great thinker a little bit more.

How the hell do you know what most of us think? I don't hope anyone discussed here dies. Neither am I rubbing my hands together in the hope that people on my deadpool lists die either. There is a big difference Mr so-called student of anthropology between "hoping they will" and "thinking they will".

In fact if one day I am famous enough, I would welcome being deathlisted since I would find it a great incentive to "prove the bastards wrong".

So you can take your self-serving, smug, patronising, sanctimonious remarks about Levi-Strauss and stick 'em up your arse. We need details of his health but the fact is you know nothing more about him than anyone else outside his inner circle.

If I was included on several people's dead pool, I'd be flattered that I've become a well known name that people have heard of me.

I hope he lives for quite some time too, but I just think this year or next year might be his last on this planet

Today professor Claude Lévi-Strauss can celebrate his 98th-birthday! :D

:)HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY PROF LEVI-STRAUSS! :)

Absolutely gutted I missed The Big Day. This working-for-a-living malarky really is a bit much... :(

Nice to see you again, Christian; hope you're keeping well. Thanks for the reminder and update. Please do keep us abreast if and when you have any new news of our mutual friend. I, for one, greatly appreciate it. :)

I appreciate your input, guest, as Mr. Levi-Strauss is on my team. I would point out, however, that being "the greatest alive thinker of his generation" is not really high praise since there's only about half a dozen of them left.

And who are the great thinkers left alive? Chomsky? Baudrillard?

Scream? Pasquale? Dunn?

Fukuyama, Stiglitz, Sen, Dawkins, Hawking.

Guest Guest
Consequently, I wait with great impatience to YOUR deaths, all of you, may it be swift and soon..

That's a new one. We're usually wished long, slow, painful deaths.

Swift demises, and moderators being accused of being childish is all too much change for me. It's not the forum I once knew and loved.

Nobody can despise Levy Strauss, who sacrified his life to thinking.., and everybody can search the truth in different ways... but the truth is only one..

We have esteem LevyStrauss, and to respect everyone else who can still join or is searching the truth, and to condamn people who denied the truth permanently...

don't you agree?

Vasco - from Venice - Italy

Guest Christian
Absolutely gutted I missed The Big Day. This working-for-a-living malarky really is a bit much... :huh:

Nice to see you again, Christian; hope you're keeping well. Thanks for the reminder and update. Please do keep us abreast if and when you have any new news of our mutual friend. I, for one, greatly appreciate it. :huh:

First of all, thank you very much, 'in eternum+', for your reply! I appreciate that a lot. Secondly, I would like to emphasize that the reason for me writing at this site derives exclusively from the affection I have for the writings of Lévi-Strauss. It can seem a little bizarre to encounter a place, where people are concerned with the potential death of that same man. That is, however, not to say that you should put this hobby or whatever one could call it away. Rather, I find it appropriate to share with you that I find it to be a great thing that Lévi-Strauss is still alive, so that he as a "thinker" can give his view on certain things happening in the world at the moment. After all, it doesn't seem to be the case that people think before they act in our present day world. As a matter of fact, certain people declare that "we are not thinkers - we are do'ers"... So, what I'm saying is that instead of being focused on the potential death of a man like Lévi-Strauss, we should instead be a little bit more concerned with what the man did and do for obtaining a better understanding of life in the pusuit of making it better to live. I'm glad to see that not everyone on this site "hopes" he will die soon, although it seems to be the case for some. Consider for instance the very first posting under Lévi-Strauss made by Grim Reaper hoping to get a french too... Is the life of others just a joke for some people at this site? This joking with life is what I would like to comment on, and so I did. And about the health of Lévi-Strauss - I was only underlining my occupation as a student of anthropology to show that I was not just another somebody saying something about Lévi-Strauss he or she had seen on some obscure french homepage. I have actually met people, who themselves have met Lévi-Strauss just recently, in 2004 and 2005! I wanted to prove the validity of my information on the health of Lévi-Strauss, not to braggle. So screw you, Godot!

Absolutely gutted I missed The Big Day. This working-for-a-living malarky really is a bit much... :huh:

Nice to see you again, Christian; hope you're keeping well. Thanks for the reminder and update. Please do keep us abreast if and when you have any new news of our mutual friend. I, for one, greatly appreciate it. :huh:

So screw you, Godot!

Hey Christian, join the queue. Did you swallow a dictionary?

Perhaps, but he didn't get the word 'paragraph' right.

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest

Absolutely gutted I missed The Big Day. This working-for-a-living malarky really is a bit much... B)

So screw you, Godot!

Hey Godot, that's a really good answer. I'm impressed! Obviously it's hard for you to read a text containing more than two lines. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see that you got the most important part of my message.

Guest Christian

Scream? Pasquale? Dunn?

Fukuyama, Stiglitz, Sen, Dawkins, Hawking.

Oh, by the way, I couldn't resist this one. You consider Francis Fukuyama to be one of the remaining 'great thinkers alive'? The man with "The End of History", which nobody talk about anymore. It would be more appropriate rather to call it "The End of Fukuyama"!

Didn't you forget to place Samuel Huntington on your list?

Absolutely gutted I missed The Big Day. This working-for-a-living malarky really is a bit much... B)

So screw you, Godot!

Hey Godot, that's a really good answer. I'm impressed! Obviously it's hard for you to read a text containing more than two lines. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see that you got the most important part of my message.

Don't mention it Christian. It's not every day you get to see a student with his head so far up an anthropologist's arse. ;)

Guest Christian

So screw you, Godot!

Don't mention it Christian. It's not every day you get to see a student with his head so far up an anthropologist's arse. ;)

Bravo!