Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Claude Levi-Strauss

Absolutely gutted I missed The Big Day. This working-for-a-living malarky really is a bit much... :dead3:

Nice to see you again, Christian; hope you're keeping well. Thanks for the reminder and update. Please do keep us abreast if and when you have any new news of our mutual friend. I, for one, greatly appreciate it. :o

First of all, thank you very much, 'in eternum+', for your reply! I appreciate that a lot. Secondly, I would like to emphasize that the reason for me writing at this site derives exclusively from the affection I have for the writings of Lévi-Strauss. It can seem a little bizarre to encounter a place, where people are concerned with the potential death of that same man. That is, however, not to say that you should put this hobby or whatever one could call it away. Rather, I find it appropriate to share with you that I find it to be a great thing that Lévi-Strauss is still alive, so that he as a "thinker" can give his view on certain things happening in the world at the moment. After all, it doesn't seem to be the case that people think before they act in our present day world. As a matter of fact, certain people declare that "we are not thinkers - we are do'ers"... So, what I'm saying is that instead of being focused on the potential death of a man like Lévi-Strauss, we should instead be a little bit more concerned with what the man did and do for obtaining a better understanding of life in the pusuit of making it better to live. I'm glad to see that not everyone on this site "hopes" he will die soon, although it seems to be the case for some. Consider for instance the very first posting under Lévi-Strauss made by Grim Reaper hoping to get a french too... Is the life of others just a joke for some people at this site? This joking with life is what I would like to comment on, and so I did. And about the health of Lévi-Strauss - I was only underlining my occupation as a student of anthropology to show that I was not just another somebody saying something about Lévi-Strauss he or she had seen on some obscure french homepage. I have actually met people, who themselves have met Lévi-Strauss just recently, in 2004 and 2005! I wanted to prove the validity of my information on the health of Lévi-Strauss, not to braggle. So screw you, Godot!

My pleasure, Christian. I remember you from last year and am pleased to see you still around, and still sharing the same enthusiasm for Prof LS.

I acknowledge your points above about celebrating CLS's life's achievements etc. and certainly don't disagree. However, there are many places - both in and out of cyberspace - where that occurs (indeed, the fact that CLS has the honour of being on the DL circuitously does exactly that). However, our humble website elects to focus on individuals via the inevitability of their demise. To each their own, yes?

You seem clever enough to realise that the members of this site don't see anyone else's life as "just a joke", and it's a shame you wrote that as I think it demeans you somewhat; it's such a weak and pedestrian remark.

I hope you don't let Godot put you off. Again, I personally appreciate your CLSian contributions as there seems to be precious little information about him. If you hear anything further about his state of health etc., please do feel free to let us know!

I noticed that ie+ raised a question about his nationality in the famous Belgians thread. Is C L-S a Belgian? I understand he was born there. If so, he could be the strongest candidate for a famous Belgian on the Deathlist abd that's just what the DL needs - a famous Belgian that is (not to be confused with ie+).

I noticed that ie+ raised a question about his nationality in the famous Belgians thread. Is C L-S a Belgian? I understand he was born there. If so, he could be the strongest candidate for a famous Belgian on the Deathlist abd that's just what the DL needs - a famous Belgian that is (not to be confused with ie+).

I pointed that out months and months ago!!!!! :)

is he dead yet ?

and who cares where he's from !

and who let the Christians in. the romans had the best idea. lion food :)

I pointed that out months and months ago!!!!! :)

So? Some things take time. I gave you the credit. What more do you want? An OBE?

So? Some things take time. I gave you the credit. What more do you want? An OBE?

Patience brings all things. And with my patience being very frail, I did write my DDP and coincidently Deathlist places many canidates in the same numbers I've placed them. When I select for the year all canidates are placed on a certain seat for a reason. Claude Levi Strauss is among them.

Guest Guest

Mr. Lévi-Strauss has lived in complete reclusion lately. He suffers of Parkinson disease. It seems that Mr. Lévi-Strauss' death will happen soon. He is the greatest alive thinker of the world. A World on the Wane is the masterpiece of Mr. Lévi-Strauss.

Mr. Lévi-Strauss has lived in complete reclusion lately. He suffers of Parkinson disease. It seems that Mr. Lévi-Strauss' death will happen soon. He is the greatest alive thinker of the world. A World on the Wane is the masterpiece of Mr. Lévi-Strauss.

I've always been a fan of his 501s.

I've always been a fan of his 501s.

I'm more impressed with the revelation above that he wrote the original manuscript to Wayne's World... Trust Hollywood to alter the title, although at least they corrected the spelling mistake.

Yes, I'm still at work, if not actually working.

Claude Levi Strauss. What a bitch his headline will be. Anyway Deathlist's first hit this week is possible. Febuary is one of those months where you just hate the outside air.

Claude Levi Strauss. What a bitch his headline will be. Anyway Deathlist's first hit this week is possible. Febuary is one of those months where you just hate the outside air.

Levi's body bag zipped...

I dreamed last night that Claude Levi - Strauss a French anthropologist who developed the method of structuralism had handed over his ticket making himself certain for the principal of death. It was realistic, and I was actually trying to figure out what statement I could make regarding his demise. I mean obviously he isn't a character that you can read like a book. Now let's watch the showdown and see where the coin lands.

Guest richard brooke
I dreamed last night that Claude Levi - Strauss a French anthropologist who developed the method of structuralism had handed over his ticket making himself certain for the principal of death. It was realistic, and I was actually trying to figure out what statement I could make regarding his demise. I mean obviously he isn't a character that you can read like a book. Now let's watch the showdown and see where the coin lands.

I believe who the death of Claude Levi-Strauss is close. The anthropology will lose its major master soon.

He suffers of Parkinson disease. It seems that Mr. Lévi-Strauss' death will happen soon. He is the greatest alive thinker of the world

Just spotted the above from February. S'cuse the pedantry but how can you be the greatest alive thinker AND have Parkinsons at the same time?

I mean, he WAS the greatest thinker, fair enough. He IS the greatest thinker.....what does that say about the rest of us?

He suffers of Parkinson disease. It seems that Mr. Lévi-Strauss' death will happen soon. He is the greatest alive thinker of the world

Just spotted the above from February. S'cuse the pedantry but how can you be the greatest alive thinker AND have Parkinsons at the same time?

I mean, he WAS the greatest thinker, fair enough. He IS the greatest thinker.....what does that say about the rest of us?

I think you may be confusing Parkinson's and Alzheimer's MPFC...

Not exactly. In the later stages the following often occur:

Cognitive disturbances

slowed reaction time; both voluntary and involuntary motor responses are significantly slowed.

executive dysfunction, characterized by difficulties in: differential allocation of attention, impulse control, set shifting, prioritizing, evaluating the salience of ambient data, interpreting social cues, and subjective time awareness. This complex is present to some degree in most Parkinson's patients; it may progress to:

dementia: a later development in approximately 20-40% of all patients, typically starting with slowing of thought and progressing to difficulties with abstract thought, memory, and behavioral regulation. Hallucinations, delusions and paranoia may develop.

short term memory loss; procedural memory is more impaired than declarative memory. Prompting elicits improved recall.

In other words, if CLS is watching the body bag zip drawing back, his mind may - thankfully - be wandering.

Guest Christian

Once again were are some that, instead of waiting for death of professor Lévi-Strauss, can celebrate another birthday of his! Despite comments on that he's dying, that he's bag is zipped on so on, Lévi-Strauss is still going strong, still contributing to the world of academia, and we are some that are absolutely thrilled about that! I'm so much looking forward to the next year, where we hopefully can celebrate his no less than 100th birthday. So, sorry guys, you'll have to wait a little longer before getting another hit on all of your fine lists ;) Long live professor Claude Lévi-Strauss!!!

Waiting for Godot...

Guest Richard

Unfortunatelly, the death of Mr. Lévi-Strauss is very close. This wise thinker has lived in complete reclusion last years. The fellows of Mr. Lévi-Strauss at French Academy believe him must live few months at most.

Unfortunatelly, the death of Mr. Lévi-Strauss is very close. This wise thinker has lived in complete reclusion last years. The fellows of Mr. Lévi-Strauss at French Academy believe him must live few months at most.

The perfect DL post. Anonymous, using somewhat imperfect English (but much better than most DL'ers could do in a foreign language), making an entirely unsubstantiated prediction, and following quick on the heels of a similar post making an unsubstantiated, completely opposite prediction. The very reason this site was built.

There will be a strong lobbying effort to get this boring old git off the 2008 list. If he'd invented blue jeans, fine. Otherwise, he's just another not all that famous 99 year old. And a freakin' Belgian too. Bah!

Talking about the subjects on this list I have already convinced myself that the year 2007 will not hold an impressive outcome as most years have done previously. My main gamble was Mark W. Felt or Yitzhak Shamir, both who are very old and both who obviously cannot think very clearly. The facts are that their is only one month left in the year and believe it or not =- last year we had three hits from this point on and three hits with value - so no it wasn't Iain Smith)

If there was ever a post that had any connection to Claude Levi Strauss - it would be from Guest Richard who has demonstrated the tease but all in all to me (If you really read it) he gives absolutely no information what so ever. Take away the capital U and it's iain posting ...............................

It's very aggravating to see Michael Foot still alive - and Claude Levi Strauss - and most of all Ariel Sharon which I think it should be against the law to keep anybody over 75 in a coma over more then eighteen months. After that the plug gets pulled and then the family now has money for extra things.

The facts are that their is only one month left in the year

As you know Banshees, you are on my ignore list but I do look at occasional posts in the stubbornly held fantasy that some day they may improve. Alas they maintain a remarkable consistency, but what really gets my goat is the grammar.

There are just two spellings of there and their.

Think of their as belonging to people or living things: their bags, their children, their humbugs. Think of there for every other use: there but for the grace of God; there, there; there is only one month left in the year; neither here nor there.

OK you might want to use "they're" for they are. Nothing wrong with that.

It's a kind of courtesy to people to try and express words properly. No-one expects everyone to get things right all of the time but it seems to me that some people - and you are an arch offender - just can't be bothered trying.

There and their: this is not difficult stuff. So f*****g well learn it and get it right. :ph34r::banghead: :banghead:

Dear Godot,

There has been times where I might have said or used improper words that were either out of place or words that did not fulfill your grammatical expectations. It's not that I don't try but it's just sometimes I forget, it's done unconsciously. From now on just for you I will use the word 'there' only when I'm referring to a place and the word 'their' only when I'm speaking of people.

PS:

Anybody who seriously puts somebody on full ignore has no capacity, and it's a lame way to deal with a person who you either dislike or disagree with. If I didn't like somebody I would be up front with them on the issue, and hopefully come to positive terms instead of acting like a woman trying to torture her boyfriend by putting her social skills on mute. That's really how I see members who choose to put me on ignore - or pretty much anybody for that matter besides Iain because he has made false statements which are very f****n annoying. So from now on I'll use the [there\their\) family how they should be used, just as long as you stop acting like a unsatisfied wife.

Is it a deal? I like Godot, I have no problems coming to positive terms with you - or anyone for that matter. It all comes down to being rational, and if you want to be rational - so will I.

Edited by Banshees Scream

The perfect DL post. Anonymous, using somewhat imperfect English (but much better than most DL'ers could do in a foreign language), making an entirely unsubstantiated prediction, and following quick on the heels of a similar post making an unsubstantiated, completely opposite prediction. The very reason this site was built.

There will be a strong lobbying effort to get this boring old git off the 2008 list. If he'd invented blue jeans, fine. Otherwise, he's just another not all that famous 99 year old. And a freakin' Belgian too. Bah!

I vote to leave him on, conditional on the fact that he's still breathing come 2008. Certainly the father of Structuralism, while pretentious sounding, is worthy enough of legitimate fame. If you really want to get rid of "just another not all that famous" old person, try Ruby Muhammad, less likely to die and with no real claim to fame outside of a being a very old member of an organization (was not, as has been discussed, ol' Elijah's widow). Even if she did die, there'd be not much glory in that.