Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Charles Haughey

Guest Raspberry

:crossbone:

Soon to be gone and never to be forgotten, Haughey remains a shadowy and enigmatic presence in twentieth-century Irish politics, even now. Famed for fabulous personal wealth, equally fabulous bank overdrafts, Savile Row suits, Lobb shoes, a string of racehorses and a string of affairs, his political style was more akin to Robert Mugabe than Robert Emmett. A few ran at the throne but most were shot down before they got close enough: Haughey was ruthless and good at it.

Running Ireland like a personal fiefdom, he seemed to derive much of his pleasure from ignoring Margaret Thatcher at EU summits and decimating Garrett Fitzgerald on television. When he wasn't involved in one scandal, he was involved in a different scandal and was finally the subject of so many government tribunals and state investigations that the country went almost bankrupt staging them. Haughey sipped champagne and shrugged, surviving them all, intact.

A story goes that during his long period of dictatorship, a failing minister entered the Great One's office and after explaining his department's poor performance was waved away by Haughey. This private chamber was an ornate affair with oak-panelled walls and a door that in this maze of timber was difficult to spot. After searching in vain for an exit point, the flustered minister said "I'm sorry, Taoiseach. I can't seem to find the door".

Without as much as glancing up from his reading material, Haughey replied, "Then why don't you jump out of the f****** window".

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Sorry i could of sworn it said Charles HAWTREY. I've got to clean these glasses or learn to read............or both.

Guest Guest

Ha! Ha! Bodiddley.

It might as well have been Hawtrey.

Hawtrey would at least have had the good grace to offer that poor minister a cup of tea B4 telling him to f*** off!

Looks like he's on the way out - finally!!!

Former taoiseach Charles Haughey is seriously ill in hospital after a significant deterioration in his health in recent days.

Mr Haughey (80), who has been suffering from prostate cancer for several years, was brought to the Mater private hospital this week after becoming significantly weaker last weekend.

He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1995 and has been hospitalised on a number of occasions.

Mr Haughey's illness prevented him from giving evidence about his finances to the Moriarty tribunal over the past few years.

His financial affairs were in the news again last week after the tribunal heard evidence of a €5 million tax settlement he made to the Revenue Commissioners in 2003 in relation to gifts of large sums of money he received from Ben Dunne and others.

At the time, this was the largest tax settlement made by an individual taxpayer.

The Moriarty tribunal agreed in 2001 that Mr Haughey should no longer be required to give evidence due to illness.

(Source Irish Times - www.ireland.com March 30th 2006)

Thank you very much Mr Corkdood! (lovely area of the world with very comely woman too :o )

At last, some positive news about one of my DDP selections!

(and also for people to cheat when guessing numero Cinq!)

:D

If he's in hospital it must have spread. It doesn't sound good, If it's got in to his liver it will be a matter of days. This could be my first DDP hit in the offing.

Looks like he's on the way out - finally!!!

Thanks for the news. He is one of my DDP selections!

Here is the story from the http://www.unison.ie website, but it requires registration to view the article, so I have included it below:

ff

Haughey in hospital after deterioration in health

07:19 Thursday March 30th 2006

Former Taoiseach Charles Haughey is believed to be in a serious condition in hospital after a deterioration in his health in recent days.

The 80-year-old, who has been suffering from prostate cancer for several years, is believed to have been admitted to the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin on Monday night suffering from dehydration.

Fianna Fail has confirmed that he is hospital, but has declined to reveal any further details about his illness.

Mr Haughey has been hospitalised on a number of occasions over the past 10 years and his ill health has prevented him from giving evidence to the Moriarty Tribunal, which is investigating his finances.

Indeed, fantastic news from Ireland - thanks to Noel for breaking it to me!

This is fairly exciting as he could be our 5th success and my 3rd on DDP. It's not even April yet!

The 80-year-old, who has been suffering from prostate cancer for several years, is believed to have been admitted to the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin on Monday night suffering from dehydration.

Nothing a few pints can't cure, I'd say, although it may cause some trouble at the other end.

Just taking the piss,

Hein

No problem I was surprised to see an Irish politician on your list (albeit one of the most corrupt ones) He was meant to come up before courts and tribunals for tax evasion several times over the last 10 years but slimed his way out of them each time claiming ill health.

He can't escape the grim reaper though. :o

I saw him a few years ago attending (ironically enough) the funeral of another former prime minister (taoiseach) It was a very formal state ocassion and many hundreds of people had lined the streets to watch the funeral processing pass by. I could see from his expression that he knew that when his time came not half the people would come out to watch his funeral.

He is a very hated public figure in Ireland but hopefully when he dies we'll get a day off to mark the occasion!

Guest jedimaster

charlie Haughey passed away this afternoon in the mater it will be announced tonight at some stage, now i hope all you greeny nimby types will shut up and allow him to be buried in dignity

charlie Haughey passed away this afternoon in the mater it will be announced tonight at some stage, now i hope all you greeny nimby types will shut up and allow him to be buried in dignity

I did a search and I have not found any mention of it. Can you post a link to the story?

Regards,

ff

I did a search and I have not found any mention of it. Can you post a link to the story?

Regards,

ff

Well, it's not on Wikipedia, so it musn't be true. :o

I think that was supposed to be some inside information.

Thanks Yoda...

Right before I opened this thread I had a feeling of death surrounding his name.

But I suppose - So far it's only a rumor? After just checking apparently not.

Heres the story - http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?...904&p=zy9445776

Number 5 may be on it's way... That lovely Banshee, she should be screaming for the former irish PM.

Screaming as usual...

Guest Guest

im not saying how i found out but all ill say is its true, as it wasnt on the main news at nine im guessing morning ireland will have it

im not saying how i found out but all ill say is its true, as it wasnt on the main news at nine im guessing morning ireland will have it

Well so far - I haven't found any evidence of his death. If he just died it hasn't hit the internet just yet.

I'll stick around... :o

But will Morning Ireland be in mourning?

Heard similar myself. Might be just hearsay but - then again - the same source had told me that he was in hospital yesterday, before it hit the news...

I'd say you have lucky number 5.

Heard similar myself. Might be just hearsay but - then again - the same source had told me that he was in hospital yesterday, before it hit the news...

I'd say you have lucky number 5.

Excellent.

I hope that your sources are right.

But as Hein said - we shouldn't count our coffins until...

That wasn't me.

regards,

Hein

That wasn't me.

regards,

Hein

Ah, sorry.

BTW, I always thought Cowboy Ronnie was American. Turns out he lives in London...

That wasn't me.

regards,

Hein

Ah, sorry.

BTW, I always thought Cowboy Ronnie was American. Turns out he lives in London...

I have always known Cowboy Ronnie lived in London. Infact I bet he knows Grim Reaper in the flesh.

Now... back to searching Google to see if the Banshee has screamed for the 5th time.

Now... back to searching Google to see if the Banshee has screamed for the 5th time.

Rather gratifying that my own Google search for Charley boy had a couple of DL links at the top....