Death Star

Arthur C Clarke

Arthur C. Clarke fighting going back in time.

I think that's the fourth now of my DDP candidates that's looking healthy as an ox... :unsure:

Child abuse allegations - Sri Lanka,could we have another Gary Glitter?

I think that's the fourth now of my DDP candidates that's looking healthy as an ox... :unsure:

Child abuse allegations - Sri Lanka,could we have another Gary Glitter?

It'd be fairly hard to argue against child complacency when the defendant is in a wheelchair though.... :lol:

another illusion shattered! arty, how could you!

i'm going to go take a stress pill and lie down.

(gulp)

:lol: daisy, daisy...

How is Arthur C Clarke doing these days? Must be in his late 80s, didn't he have a Gary Glitter like experience a few years ago? Can't have been good for his health. Or it might have been someone else.

DDT

Edited by football_fan

How is Arthur C Clarke doing these days? Must be in his late 80s, didn't he have a Gary Glitter like experience a few years ago? Can't have been good for his health. Or it might have been someone else.

DDT

There are rumours that he's a man of Gary Glitter standrads, which is why he's in Sri Lanka. Not sure how true or otherwise the rumours are though.

Edited by football_fan

Re the sexuality of 'confirmed batchelor' Arthur C Clarke check out this link. . Struck me as a rational run around the main points.

Alternatively, the following from a Guardian article on the great man rounds up the recent developments:

The Mirror claimed that Clarke had paid young boys for sex. It produced affidavits from the boys in question. Sri Lankan police later disproved them, he says. The story ran two weeks before Prince Charles flew to Sri Lanka to confer a knighthood on the grand old man of science fiction. The saga was the lowest point in his career. At a banquet in his honour Clarke, who has post polio syndrome, found himself hobbling away from the press, pursued by an unctuous reporter from the Daily Telegraph. The episode still upsets him. "I take an extremely dim view of people mucking about with boys," Clarke says. "The whole thing was distressing to me. It was vindictive and very unpleasant. I can only assume it was a plot to embarrass Prince Charles." The novelist finally got his gong this May, at a low-key ceremony at the British high commission in Colombo.

Clarke's private life remains a mystery. He was married briefly to an American, Marilyn Mayfield, now dead, whom he met while diving in Florida in the 50s. Asked whether he is gay, Clarke always gives the same puckish pro forma answer: "No, merely cheerful." The answer, presumably, lies in the "Clarkives" - a vast collection of his manuscripts and private writings, to be published 50 years after his death.

Re the sexuality of 'confirmed batchelor' Arthur C Clarke check out this link. . Struck me as a rational run around the main points.

Bloody hell. Is that incense I'm smelling, or the odour of sanctity?

PS: posts moved

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein

Bloody hell. Is that incense I'm smelling, or the odour of sanctity?

Incense I think, but when the joss sticks burn down and they're too busy to replace them I detect a hint of lube in the air!

I saw the house where he was born (in Minehead, Somerset) last week. I actually thought he was already dead!

I saw the house where he was born (in Minehead, Somerset) last week. I actually thought he was already dead!

Bob Marley's father was born in Minehead. Not many people know that.

So Arthur C might say to one of his young laddie companions; 'Stop messing about son, I want to get back to mine head!!!!!'

Get me Roy Chubby Brown on the phone....now.

Is there a blue plaque on the outside of the house?

I thought blue plaques were only issued once a person had been dead for a certain number of years

I thought blue plaques were only issued once a person had been dead for a certain number of years

Sound thinking, the famous person might still do nasty things and cause removal of the blue plaque(s).

For a similar reason most municipalties in Holland don't name streets after living people, Dutch royals excepted.

regards,

Hein

For reasons I brought up in the Joey Bishop thread, I was searching for Arthur C. Clarke news. This was the best I could find.

The e-mail is obviously automatic, but he was well enough at least earlier in the year to be received by visitors... not really all that illuminating, but I thought I'd share anyhow.

For reasons I brought up in the Joey Bishop thread, I was searching for Arthur C. Clarke news. This was the best I could find.

The e-mail is obviously automatic, but he was well enough at least earlier in the year to be received by visitors... not really all that illuminating, but I thought I'd share anyhow.

There's a blog mention somewhere, that he will be visiting two literary events in Sri Lanka in the first few months of 2007.

Ah here we are:- http://nazreen.wordpress.com/2006/11/20/pr...galle-lit-fest/

Mine head's on my shoulders! :blink::lol:

Guest Guest

Arthur C Clarke wil live a good few years yet I'll bet

There's a blog mention somewhere, that he will be visiting two literary events in Sri Lanka in the first few months of 2007.

Ah here we are:- http://nazreen.wordpress.com/2006/11/20/pr...galle-lit-fest/

There are pictures of Clarke at that event under "Day 4" - looks to be doing fairly well given his circumstances.

There are pictures of Clarke at that event under "Day 4" - looks to be doing fairly well given his circumstances.

I think he falls in the Ray Bradbury/John Mortimer/Gore Vidal (and on his bad days Harold Pinter) category - in a wheelchair, not in brilliant health lately but with enough gumption to keep on going a little while yet.

Guest Guest
So Arthur C might say to one of his young laddie companions; 'Stop messing about son, I want to get back to mine head!!!!!'

Get me Roy Chubby Brown on the phone....now.

??????????????????/ Does Mr brown give good head to.

Video of Arthur C. Clarke talking about spacey stuff and a little about his health. Make of it what you will, as always.

Video of Arthur C. Clarke talking about spacey stuff and a little about his health. Make of it what you will, as always.

Don't think he will see-out 2010! It would be quite profetic if it would be the year of his death.