harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

Bob Toski (wiki, born 1926) now the oldest living professional golfer?

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Bob Toski (wiki, born 1926) now the oldest living professional golfer?

Who played on tour?  Possibly.  I'd imagine there's a teaching pro out there somewhere who's 100 or older. 

Just over 6 months ago golf still had 4 major champions over 90.  Down to 1 now.  The deaths of Don January (May), Betsy Rawls (October), and now Jackie Burke leaves just Kathy Cornelius (who won the 1956 US Women's Open).  Joyce Ziske (won the Women's Western Open in 1960, when it was still considered a major) will turn 90 in May, if she makes it.  The oldest living major champion on the men's side is now Gary Player who just turned 89 eight days ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Who played on tour?  Possibly.  I'd imagine there's a teaching pro out there somewhere who's 100 or older. 

Just over 6 months ago golf still had 4 major champions over 90.  Down to 1 now.  The deaths of Don January (May), Betsy Rawls (October), and now Jackie Burke leaves just Kathy Cornelius (who won the 1956 US Women's Open).  Joyce Ziske (won the Women's Western Open in 1960, when it was still considered a major) will turn 90 in May, if she makes it.  The oldest living major champion on the men's side is now Gary Player who just turned 89 eight days ago.

You'd make Player about the best bet of any octogenarian male still alive to reach 100 though. He's surely fav to outlive Nicklaus at any rate. 

US Masters Champions 2024 annual photo. Gary Player aged 90 is now the oldest champion but based on this evidence I could see him outliving several of these guys. 

GKwyrGZXoAA70TX.jpeg

• Like 1

Think Nicklaus is at the stage where he may be worth a punt for the DL 50 going forward

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Think Nicklaus is at the stage where he may be worth a punt for the DL 50 going forward

He certainly looks worse than Player to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deathrace said:

US Masters Champions 2024 annual photo. Gary Player aged 90 is now the oldest champion but based on this evidence I could see him outliving several of these guys. 

GKwyrGZXoAA70TX.jpeg

Not being pedantic but Gary Player isn't 90 for another 18 months. Don't get me wrong, 88 is old (he's 4 years older than Nicklaus) but 18 months is a lot at that age. Agree he's going nowhere soon though.

If anybody wants to do some form spotting, Nicklaus took part in the honorary starters tee off this morning, alongside Player and Tom Watson (spring chicken at 75). Holds his wife's(?) arm as he makes his way out, and makes a joke about struggling to bend over to put the tee in but still whacks it alright. Player looks like he fancies playing the full 18.

6 hours ago, Deathrace said:

He'll probably make it past Tommy Aaron, Jack, and Tiger

Player looks absolutely fantastic.  He's so into fitness that it's not much of a surprise.  He looks and moves considerably better than Nicklaus.  It looks to me like Jack has noticeably slipped in the last year or two.  He's more overweight and he walks and moves a little less steadily.  RoverAndOut is right, he walks to the tee partially on the arm of his wife, Barbara.  I don't like the vibes I'm getting with him.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Not being pedantic but Gary Player isn't 90 for another 18 months. Don't get me wrong, 88 is old (he's 4 years older than Nicklaus) but 18 months is a lot at that age. Agree he's going nowhere soon though.

Sorry - my mistake 

16 hours ago, Neol Edmunds said:

Has Nicklaus' granddaughter shown us her Todger recently?

I honestly cannot believe that is the man's actual name. I would change it, especially because if you accidentally leave a letter out of his surname it sounds like some kind of rude Australian saying by a young man about his recent one night stand...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Noel Ratcliffe was born in Sydney and died on the same day. In his regular career he won three titles in Australasia and two in Europe, where his best year was 1978, when he finished 11th on the Order of Merit. He won the Belgian Open in 78, and the Benson & Hedges International Open '87

https://pga.org.au/news/noel-ratcliffe-passes-away-aged-79/

PGA-Professional-Template-web-1.png

• Like 1

Stephanie Sparks, longtime host of Golf Channel's "Big Break", dead at 50.  Doesn't seem to be a cause of death, at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Stephanie Sparks, longtime host of Golf Channel's "Big Break", dead at 50.  Doesn't seem to be a cause of death, at the moment.

I haven't seen any local obits yet, which is interesting considering that she was a local and Golf Channel is headquartered here in Orlando. I'm going to speculate based on the charities mentioned that her death was possibly cancer related?

On 11/04/2024 at 18:25, MrWonderful said:

Player looks absolutely fantastic.  He's so into fitness that it's not much of a surprise.  He looks and moves considerably better than Nicklaus.  It looks to me like Jack has noticeably slipped in the last year or two.  He's more overweight and he walks and moves a little less steadily.  RoverAndOut is right, he walks to the tee partially on the arm of his wife, Barbara.  I don't like the vibes I'm getting with him.  

I missed this last week during the Masters coverage but came across it tonight.  In this tribute video for Verne Lundquist, who worked his 40th and final Masters, notice at the 2:15 mark how Nicklaus' left hand/wrist is purple with what looks like senile purpura.  We've seen this with a lot of older folks like Mitch McConnell recently.  Perhaps he has some cardiovascular issues?  Speaking of which, you see a purple spot on Lundquist's right hand at the 3:33 mark.  Mr. Lundqvist is quite obese, so he may not be likely to see 90.  I'm guessing that neither of them do, and I'm particularly concerned for Jack.   (Jack is 84 and Verne is 83, for the record.)

• Like 3