Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

Guest P Vaaish

I knew my top 25 spot was too good to last. Respect to those who chose YSL and Bo Diddley.

Looks like you'll have to add Nonna Mordyukova to the list of the lost.

Give it a few days, H, I'm sure she'll get one. :)

Give it a few days, H, I'm sure she'll get one. :)

Russian actresses haven't done too well as far as UK obits go recently. Alla Kazanskaya died last month and never got an obit

Russian actresses haven't done too well as far as UK obits go recently. Alla Kazanskaya died last month and never got an obit

I remember a certain someone saying the same about Nurmi... :)

I agree with DDT - as long as there is not a huge spate of "big name" deaths, I should imagine she'll get one.

I know Aleksandr Abdulov didn't & he was just as famous in Russia as Mordyukova, but I think the timing (just after New Year) went against his favour.

I remember a certain someone saying the same about Nurmi... :)

I agree with DDT - as long as there is not a huge spate of "big name" deaths, I should imagine she'll get one.

I know Aleksandr Abdulov didn't & he was just as famous in Russia as Mordyukova, but I think the timing (just after New Year) went against his favour.

It is a bit reminiscent of Nurmi, it seems reclusive European cult actresses are my thing. Who knew?

I'm surprised Alla Kazanskaya didn't get a UK obit, it was that which prompted my worries about Mordyukova, we'll see.

I remember a certain someone saying the same about Nurmi... :angry:

It is a bit reminiscent of Nurmi, it seems reclusive European cult actresses are my thing. Who knew?

I'm surprised Alla Kazanskaya didn't get a UK obit, it was that which prompted my worries about Mordyukova, we'll see.

UK obit for Nonna Mordyukova :)

I remember a certain someone saying the same about Nurmi... ;)

UK obit for Nonna Mordyukova :)

Excellent

Current standings...

1. The Living End 94 - 11 hits

2. Godot's Waiting List 88 - 11 hits

3. They're Dead, Y'Know! 84 - 12 hits

4. Canadian Paul 81 - 11 hits

5. Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer... 76 - 9 hits

6. Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy 69 - 8 hits

7. Master Mind 68 - 8 hits

8. Misers 63 - 9 hits

9. Hunting Halos 61 - 8 hits

10. Meet Your Maker 58 - 8 hits

10. No Noose Is Good Noose 58 - 6 hits

UPDATED 28TH JULY

Poor old Henri Cartan is languising in the List of The Lost. Here's a UK obit for him.

Ta.

Site has been updated, but because I'm having a problem - yet again - with outgoing e-mails & the server, the e-mail update will be a little.. how shall we say.. staggered...

UK obit for Phil Hill. Congratulations to Maggots-R-Us for a unique hit bonus.

Quite a surprise that only one person picked him...

Current Standings...

1. The Living End 101 - 12 hits

2. Canadian Paul 88 - 12 hits

2. Godot's Waiting List 88 - 11 hits

4. Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer... 85 - 10 hits

5. They're Dead, Y'Know! 84 - 12 hits

6. Master Mind 76 - 9 hits

7. Meet Your Maker 73 - 9 hits

7. No Noose Is Good Noose 73 - 8 hits

9. Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy 69 - 8 hits

10. Misers 63 - 9 hits

Updated 21:25

Looking at who the top lot have after the death of Plews, it looks very much like a championship for Devon Death Trip.

Though Canadian Paul is an interesting one as he has different (and good) candidates remaining:

DDT

Right Rev. Ian Cundy

Shih Ming-Teh

Edwin Morgan

Patriarch Pavle

Rosemary Pitman

Jack Ramsay

Sir Bobby Robson

(Robson, Pavle & Morgan most likely)

CP

Milivoj Asner

Ronnie Biggs

Rev Billy Graham

Steven Hill

Eunice Kennedy Shriver

Patriarch Pavle

Joe Weider

(Graham, Hill, Shriver, Pavle & Weider most likely)

Godot

Maurice Allais

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Claude Lévi-Strauss

Harold Pinter

Sir Bobby Robson

Yitzhak Shamir

Russell Watson

Sir Nicholas Winton

(Robson.. Shamir, Allais & Levi-Strauss?)

Wormer

Fidel Castro

Farrah Fawcett

Steve Fossett

Connie Hawkins

Derryn Hinch

Larry James

Debbie Nelson

Zdvrako Tolimir

Don Wittman

Erick Wujcik

(I don't see any more hits, but if Wittman, Wujick get obits & Fossett is proved to have died in 2008, then things really change....)

TMIB

Basil D'Oliveira

Farrah Fawcett

Sir Lenox Hewitt

Patrick McGoohan

John Mortimer

Jeremy Thorpe

Zdvrako Tolimir

Gore Vidal

(Mortimer & D'Oliveira are the best bets here)

Banshees

Randa bin Laden

Right Rev. Ian Cundy

Patricia C. Dunn

W. Mark Felt

Daniel Geiges

Bobby Moncur

Patriarch Pavle

Sir Bobby Robson

Zeljko Sturanovic

Erick Wujcik

(Robson, Pavle, Geiges, Sturanovic & Cundy possibly yes. Wujcik obit would help too...)

Meet Your Maker

Abdul Aziz Al-Hakim

Philip Chevron

Right Rev. Ian Cundy

Patricia C. Dunn

Rev Billy Graham

Patriarch Pavle

Jack Ramsay

Yitzhak Shamir

Zeljko Sturanovic

(Cundy, Graham, Shamir, Pavle & Sturanovic, but Chevron is a no-go, which doesn't help)

But it's certainly livened up lately & well done to DDT & CP for a record 13th hit in one year.

TMIB

Bang on brother!

This has been the best DDP yet. The standard has been so high, I'm pleased just to be in the top ten!

There's always next year of course, where I'll looking to add one or two more uniques and maybe get the average age down...

TMIB

Bang on brother!

And the best bat.

I don't see any fat lady singing yet. Still two-and-a-half months to go. Don't count your coffins until they're dispatched.

I hope there is a next year for DDP, because - frankly - I'm ashamed by my woeful performance this year and want a chance to get within sight of the leaders next year.

I don't see any fat lady singing yet. Still two-and-a-half months to go. Don't count your coffins until they're dispatched.

You're right Godot. Remember there can only be one winner of the DDP this year:

Miser

Mr.Miser, I don't think you understand.

Call me a heel if you want - I am the present and the future of DDP. I will go through every single opponent that stands in my way. I will dominate by all means. No Noose is a Good Noose - Tonight Matthew I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy - The Living End - R.I.P. It Up And Start Again - Godot's Waiting List - And You Mr. Miser .......... Bring it on.

And TMIB.. .. you have what is mine. I live for honor and the honor you possess will ... be mine. .''

...If anyone can beat me this year ... congratulations ... you truly are the very best.

I hope there is a next year for DDP, because - frankly - I'm ashamed by my woeful performance this year and want a chance to get within sight of the leaders next year.

Perhaps it's time to weigh up your options, like.....or summat.

Roulette.jpg

Remember there can only be one winner of the DDP this year

The product of success in a competition such as Derby Dead Pool is based upon decision making. A decision in a competition such as this should be reached upon what succeeds in probability. I guess my skeptical approach ultimately led me into overlooking valuable prospects. I deserve to lose.

Even as I currently have 10 hits with more then 70 days left, I'm not dissapointed. I'm accepting of the result but at the same time the result is not potentialized. I've gained a better perspective this year and I plan on aiming at 15 hits for next year.

By the way, congratulations Devon. I have to admit that you truly are the very best this year. You the man. It's appropriate that I'm saying that, right? Being an avid listener of the woman's hour is an outright hint that .. (I'm just kidding)

Current Standings...

1. The Living End 108 - 13 hits (Record)

2. Canadian Paul 95 - 13 hits (Record)

2. Godot's Waiting List 95 - 12 hits

4. Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer... 85 - 10 hits

5. They're Dead, Y'Know! 84 - 12 hits

6. Master Mind 83 - 10 hits

7. Meet Your Maker 80 - 10 hits

7. No Noose Is Good Noose 80 - 9 hits

9. Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy 69 - 8 hits

10. Misers 63 - 9 hits

Apologies for the late delay of this year's competition but the 2009 competition is doing my nut in. :unsure: Nevertheless, I still hope, big deaths in the next 8 days notwithstanding, to get the new DDP up in some reasonable timescale & this year's competition all done & dusted asap. :angry:

Right, I think I'll now grab 4 hours max of kip before I go to work tomorrow. :)

'Dec 23 2008, 02:44 AM' [/b]post='126238']

Apologies for the late delay of this year's competition but the 2009 competition is doing my nut in. :unsure: Nevertheless, I still hope, big deaths in the next 8 days notwithstanding, to get the new DDP up in some reasonable timescale & this year's competition all done & dusted asap. :angry:

Right, I think I'll now grab 4 hours max of kip before I go to work tomorrow. :)

OoO, why don't you take a few days off? It will all still be there when you come back. Enjoy Christmas with friends and family and get drunk, I'd hate to think of you spending Christmas afternoon wrestling with HTML codes.

My team will be going in later today, I think it's safe to say I'm retiring from ultra competitive deadpooling. :)

[Edit - I lied about my DDP team, it's not that bad actually, but I won't be winning next year]