Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

My team will be going in later today, I think it's safe to say I'm retiring from ultra competitive deadpooling. :)

[Edit - I lied about my DDP team, it's not that bad actually, but I won't be winning next year]

Oh, I disagree. So far, it's the team to beat, although one newcomer has put in a VERY strong team.

I submitted my team a couple of days ago.

I didn't go with that skin cancer woman (something I will probably regret when I see the list of picks), and completely forgot about Fidel Castro.

I'm not doing mine till New Year's Eve, because if I do it now, knowing my shitty luck every bastard on the list will die between now and the 31st.

I'm not doing mine till New Year's Eve, because if I do it now, knowing my shitty luck every bastard on the list will die between now and the 31st.

In which case Lardy, why not submit an entry made up exclusively of people from DL 2008, and we'll have a bumper finish to the year. Nothing like taking one for the team.

Aye, mine is going in around the 29/30th, I've lost a tenth of the team already - Felt/Bevel - and I'm anxious to get 'quality' replacements. Then again, I could simply resubmit the current line up since most of the bastards are still breathing.

Guest Guest

If Pinter died on Christmas Day it puts Godot's Waiting List one point behind the leader. But I think he died on Christmas Eve.

'Dec 23 2008, 02:44 AM' [/b]post='126238']

Apologies for the late delay of this year's competition but the 2009 competition is doing my nut in. :) Nevertheless, I still hope, big deaths in the next 8 days notwithstanding, to get the new DDP up in some reasonable timescale & this year's competition all done & dusted asap. :D

Right, I think I'll now grab 4 hours max of kip before I go to work tomorrow. :o

OoO, why don't you take a few days off? It will all still be there when you come back. Enjoy Christmas with friends and family and get drunk, I'd hate to think of you spending Christmas afternoon wrestling with HTML codes.

My team will be going in later today, I think it's safe to say I'm retiring from ultra competitive deadpooling. ;)

[Edit - I lied about my DDP team, it's not that bad actually, but I won't be winning next year]

OoO Can't possibly have time off at this time of the year. It's not like Santa who can put his feet up now. There's the DDP to update, after all. :) Yes, Death and OoO are going to be busy in the next few days.

Current standings with 3 days to go...

1. The Living End 108 - 13 hits (Record)

2. Godot's Waiting List 102 - 13 hits (Record)

3. Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer... 98 - 11 hits

4. Canadian Paul 95 - 13 hits (Record)

5. Master Mind 88 - 11 hits

6. They're Dead, Y'Know! 84 - 12 hits

7. Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy 82 - 9 hits

8. Already Dead 80 - 9 hits

8. Meet Your Maker 80 - 10 hits

8. No Noose Is Good Noose 80 - 9 hits

Godot has set up a grandstand finish, will The Living End be deprived of the lead, held since April, at the death?

Congratulations DDT, a very well deserved win. I can't do much now with the timewasters left in my team. Unless Maurice Allais was to peg it at the last, it would need two more deaths clear of your own picks and no-one would give odds on that. You can never trust the French.

It's been fun and surprising to be up there all this year and I'd like to thank all those committed picks who "took one for the team." Pinter, you old dog, making us wait like that, but adding a little spice at the last. A good effort but not quite good enough.

Not sure whether to enter for 2009 as I need to quit the DL for a time but might put together a scratch squad at the death, so to speak.

Congratulations DDT, a very well deserved win. I can't do much now with the timewasters left in my team. Unless Maurice Allais was to peg it at the last, it would need two more deaths clear of your own picks and no-one would give odds on that. You can never trust the French.

It's been fun and surprising to be up there all this year and I'd like to thank all those committed picks who "took one for the team." Pinter, you old dog, making us wait like that, but adding a little spice at the last. A good effort but not quite good enough.

Not sure whether to enter for 2009 as I need to quit the DL for a time but might put together a scratch squad at the death, so to speak.

Oh go on...you're doing so well!

It's been a splendid year for DDP. I get 12 hits and still end up in 6th place! A bit miffed that Banshees overtook me. I would have liked to have matched my 2006 placing, but I can't really grumble. I'm not going to congratulate DDT yet (don't want to put the mockers on it), but I'm sure Football Fan is at this moment applying Brasso to the crown in readiness to hand it over after two years... :)

I've enjoyed this year's DDP. It kept its excitement throughout. Well done OoO for organising it.

Yeah, seconded. A selfless act to run the biggest deadpool, and put up with the rest of us.

Congratulations DDT. A very well deserved win.

G

Congratulations DDT. A very well deserved win.

G

Congrats from me too.....a very impressive performance

Just tidying it all up now.. but well done Devon Death Trip & to everyone else in what was an excellent year for the DDP!

Congrats DDT!

Too bad for that fellow who had a hit but too late in the year for it to count. A suggestion for the next time the rules get shuffled might be to allow for obits for December 31 deaths to appear up to 24 hours later. I can just see Ronnie Biggs dying on December 31st late in the evening and not having it reported until after midnight. :unsure:

Congrats DDT!

Too bad for that fellow who had a hit but too late in the year for it to count. A suggestion for the next time the rules get shuffled might be to allow for obits for December 31 deaths to appear up to 24 hours later. I can just see Ronnie Biggs dying on December 31st late in the evening and not having it reported until after midnight. :unsure:

Yes I find that a bit unfair too. How about a weeks grace?

Congratulations on an impressive win, DDT. Also thanks to the Octopus for all his hard and dedicated work.

Congratulations, DDT! I'm in this year so you can be 100% guaranteed to beat at least one person! :unsure:

Before we close this thread, a final look at the standings...

Top 20

The Living End - 13 hits, 108pts

Godot's Waiting List - 13 hits, 102pts

Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer - 11 hits, 98pts

Canadian Paul - 13 hits, 95pts

Master Mind - 11 hits, 88pts

They're Dead, Y'Know! - 12 hits, 84pts

Tonight Matthew I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy - 9 hits, 82pts

Meet Your Maker - 11 hits, 80pts

Already Dead - 9 hits, 80pts

No Noose is Good Noose - 8 hits, 80pts

Octopus of Odstock - 10 hits, 67pts

They Died And Left Me In Charge - 9 hits, 67pts

Hunting Halos - 9 hits, 66pts

Clathrate Gun - 7 hits, 66pts

Misers - 9 hits, 63pts

Croaker De'Ath And The Prognosticators - 8 hits, 62pts

Rude Kid - 8 hits, 62pts

Eejit - 8 hits, 59pts

The Last Gasp - 7 hits, 58pts

R.I.P. It Up And Start Again - 7 hits, 55pts

The End of the World As We Know It - 6 hits, 55pts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The White Jersey goes to Tonight Matthew... as the best rookie. Also good debuts for Hunting Halos and Misers.

Best placings ever for The Living End, Godot, Wormer, Canadian Paul, Master Mind, No Noose, They Died etc, Clathrate Gun. Indeed the top seven was different from last years top seven. Indeed of the top 10, They're Dead, Y'Know, Meet Your Maker, Already Dead and No Noose had made the top 10 before...

The highest climber was Croaker D'eath, up from equal 205th!

Thanks everyone! :)

I wish I could say that winning meant nothing to me, but when I found out on Christmas Day that Harold Pinter had died, it took a lot of effort to stop myself leaping on to the nearest computer and going straight to the DDP site to see if I'd been knocked off the top. I had to take a few deep breaths and "have a word with myself".

I do fully understand that winning a deadpool competition is nothing to get too excited about and it does rank fairly low on the list of good things that have happened to me in the last year. We all know that picking a list of twenty people you expect to die over the last twelve months is, to put it mildly, morally and ethically questionable. I can't help wondering if he who does it best does the most damage to his karma. :rolleyes:

My victory has been a bit of a defining moment for me. As from now I'm going to give posting on the ideas thread a break and pursue other hobbies for a while. Besides, I reckon I'd have had a bundle of unique picks in the last two years if I'd kept my cards a bit closer to my chest.

I doubt anyone on DL, apart from Rude Kid, took part in the 2000 DDP. Here is a very venerable thread from the alt.obituaries group, which mourns the passing of MT Graves, who managed to win that year's competition posthumously:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.obitu...amp;q=MT+GRaves

I doubt anyone on DL, apart from Rude Kid, took part in the 2000 DDP. Here is a very venerable thread from the alt.obituaries group, which mourns the passing of MT Graves, who managed to win that year's competition posthumously:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.obitu...amp;q=MT+GRaves

Thanks for that link DDT, that is a truly remarkable read

I remember Dave, and both Rude Kid and I know Zach Love. Zach recently surrendered his pool to a successor as it became too time intensive.

DDT deserves to win. Nice job. :rolleyes: