Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

Congratulations on another cracking pick MIB. Selfishly, however, I am growing increasingly worried about Baba Amte who's in my team. I felt sure he would get an obit. But nothing yet.

As am I. I've had three hits thusfar, but Amte was the only one that I'd heard of outside of deadpooling. :rolleyes: Still, there's plenty of opportunities for an obit for now, as well as that BBC end of the month roundup that was posted somewhere in the other forum.

Dear TMIB,

When I first saw your DDP team I originally didn't think you would maintain such a respectful lead but your prospects have performed and the results have been immaculate. The most unique aspect of your team is not 'the candidates actually being unique' but the fact that a solid section of your candidates have much value and were not really taken by any serious competitors. To me that's what makes your effort stand alone.

But I don't think you will get Tolimir who is your joker worth 18 points. I cut him from my list a few days before because the lung cancer story seemed to have expired but my replacement Sturanovic for example the now former president of 'Montenegro' situation has not been exaggerated so 'in time' I plan on battling with you at the height of the standings.

Dear TMIB,

When I first saw your DDP team I originally didn't think you would maintain such a respectful lead but your prospects have performed and the results have been immaculate. The most unique aspect of your team is not 'the candidates actually being unique' but the fact that a solid section of your candidates have much value and were not really taken by any serious competitors. To me that's what makes your effort stand alone.

But I don't think you will get Tolimir who is your joker worth 18 points. I cut him from my list a few days before because the lung cancer story seemed to have expired but my replacement Sturanovic for example the now former president of 'Montenegro' situation has not been exaggerated so 'in time' I plan on battling with you at the height of the standings.

Oooh such flattery (waves imaginary fan at himself like some girly character in an 18th Century novel).... :rolleyes:

I must admit that Scheider was one of my more inspired choices (whereas Ayers and Jay were just plain lucky!). However BS, you've made a moot point about Tolimir. He'd actually be worth 20 points* if he pegs it before November 27th. He's the pick that could be the difference between me winning and getting close. Remember a few years ago when Milosevic snuffed it: Few people backed him to go because the condtradictory reports over his health and then...

And then you look at the rest. Pym and Pollack will surely follow. One of Helms and Getty will surely kick the bucket. Heston looks a good each way bet, same with Mortimer, same with Vidal. The only one on my list that I would definitely say will see in 2009, will be Jeremy Thorpe (after reading his very lucid recent interview in the Guardian), and even he's on the list for purely tactical reasons (still in his 70s).

So I'm rather hopeful now of getting back into the top 5 after a relatively disappointing 2007.... :)

* - You're right BS, he is worth 18. My mistake...

In reference to the tagline for this thread: oooooooooohhhhhhhhh (handbag to chest!)

I'd like to get ONE hit. :rolleyes:

I think the e-mail problem might have been solved - once I'm back from me badminton tonight, I'll double check.

I think both Amte & Whitney will get a broadsheet obit, and both have much more chance than Wittmann & Abdulov.

But both might have to wait a while, perhaps.

I am surprised Amte didn't get a mention on the BBC South East-Asia focus, and considering Whitney got a very quick NY Times obit, that nothing came through for her.

But in both cases, I think they will. If they do, it makes things very interesting. Also, Whitney comes in, then in eternum's tactic of detective-based picks, will finally pay off, 14 months on! :)

I also think Don Wittman's obit chances are pretty much f**ked to be honest.

And then you look at the rest. Pym and Pollack will surely follow. One of Helms and Getty will surely kick the bucket. Heston looks a good each way bet, same with Mortimer, same with Vidal. The only one on my list that I would definitely say will see in 2009, will be Jeremy Thorpe (after reading his very lucid recent interview in the Guardian), and even he's on the list for purely tactical reasons (still in his 70s).

'In my view' Charlton Heston is the most overrated candidate in Derby Dead Pool 2008. You say 'Pollack will surely kick the bucket' and I say 'there is nothing sure' about Pollack at all. Now don't get me wrong because he is my 'second joker' for DDP in so many words and I think he makes an excellent Deathlist candidate but I would leave the probability of him croaking no higher then a 50-50 chance.

Now I still don't know why everybody thinks Francis Pym is going anywhere?? I think it's a contagious 'gut feeling - it has to be' because I have no other explanation.

I do agree that either 'Getty who is my Heston' or Shamir or Helms 'or all of them' will end up fulfilling their purpose. I can't see how Deep Throat is going to live out this year either but like the New York lottery says 'Hey, you never know!' And I'm keeping that phrase in the back of my mind hoping Baba Amte can get the ..

'Qualified .... .. BBC .. .. Obituary'

I also think Don Wittman's obit chances are pretty much f**ked to be honest.

Totally concur, the trawl now is for an article that mentions the death in a UK national and therefore qualifies. I mean, maybe if our office helps clone a high profile animal and we name it Don Wittman in honour of the great man, get it born around December.........

Hand me that sperm from the centrifuge now!!

Hey look, Amte's got an obit in The Times.

:(:P

On a serious note, I wonder if this is more or less the reason he's got barely any coverage outside of India?

Hey look, Amte's got an obit in The Times.

:(:lol:

On a serious note, I wonder if this is more or less the reason he's got barely any coverage outside of India?

Proper UK obit for Baba Amte. Well done to all the teams who picked him on the DDP. :P

Proper UK obit for Baba Amte. Well done to all the teams who picked him on the DDP. :(

DDT, after practically losing all hope that Amte would get any qualified recognition this news ups my miserable f****n day 5%.

How is Fossett treated in DDP? My other league has a Hoffa rule so he will not count for 2008. People who had him in 2007 (and people did) get career stat credit. :D

How is Fossett treated in DDP? My other league has a Hoffa rule so he will not count for 2008. People who had him in 2007 (and people did) get career stat credit. :D

No points awarded.

I'll do a full explanation when I do the update tomorrow, but basically, in discussions last December, it was decided that today's announcement (as we knew it was coming), would be similiar to say, Norah Baring or Dame Helen Gardiner, or an obit that came through for someone who died in 2007.

Each team who entered Fossett was given an option to keep him or replace him & I made the position clear at the start of the competition in January, but I'll post the full explanation tomorrow.

In the Death League that I'm in, he wouldn't score because it would be impossible to pinpoint his exact time of death (2007? 2008?) as well as the difference between being declared legally dead and actually having a corpse. I'll be interested in Ock's take on it.

No points awarded.

I'll do a full explanation when I do the update tomorrow, but basically, in discussions last December, it was decided that today's announcement (as we knew it was coming), would be similiar to say, Norah Baring or Dame Helen Gardiner, or an obit that came through for someone who died in 2007.

Each team who entered Fossett was given an option to keep him or replace him & I made the position clear at the start of the competition in January, but I'll post the full explanation tomorrow.

Seems fair to me

In addition to the above - as I have slightly more time now - two other salient points.

1) As Mr. Stonehouse & Mr. Darwin proved, "declared dead" doesn't always mean "actually dead". :D

2) Until there is a body that determines when (indeed if) Fossett died, it is impossible to say an accurate death date & place. He will remain on the DDP until a body is found.

I only allowed Fossett in the first place on the premise that he didn't die in September, and is "Missing, presumed alive." If that is to be the presumption, then he, like anyone on that list, be it Cameron Diaz or Yitzhak Shamir has a chance of dying that year.

Likewise Al-Majid was allowed as he may die of extreme old age before he's actually executed.....

TMIB is building an impressive lead. Can he be caught? Someone will need a massive wildcard.

Miser

Mr.Miser, I don't think you understand.

Call me a heel if you want - I am the present and the future of DDP. I will go through every single opponent that stands in my way. I will dominate by all means. No Noose is a Good Noose - Tonight Matthew I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy - The Living End - R.I.P. It Up And Start Again - Godot's Waiting List - And You Mr. Miser .......... Bring it on.

And TMIB.. .. you have what is mine. I live for honor and the honor you possess will ... be mine. .''

Guest Nursey
Miser

Call me a heel if you want - I am the present and the future of DDP. I will go through every single opponent that stands in my way. I will dominate by all means. No Noose is a Good Noose - Tonight Matthew I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy - The Living End - R.I.P. It Up And Start Again - Godot's Waiting List - And You Mr. Miser .......... Bring it on.

And TMIB.. .. you have what is mine. I live for honor and the honor you possess will ... be mine. .''

It's time for your medication now Mr Scream.

Miser

What's the name of your DDP team BS?

I am the present and the future of DDP

Just a thought, like. The great thing about the DDP is that it is big enough and strong enough to survive if loads of us change our mind next year. As to the future of it, deadpooling is one activity with a future so long that none of us can really predict it. Speculation on high profile death preceded us all and will succeed us all, unless an asteroid trashes the Earth, or summat.

97-year old ex-UCLA basketball coach and surprisingly popular DDP pick has taken a fall at his home, but is said to be doing well.

I point this out because the Guardian has covered the incident, which means that they'll likely do the same for his death, meaning DDP points should it happen.

If Joseph Juran and Jeff Healey both get UK obits, that'll put Godot's Waiting List joint top of the DDP.

If Joseph Juran and Jeff Healey both get UK obits, that'll put Godot's Waiting List joint top of the DDP.

...the ever reliable Guardian.

With this UK obit for the cricketer Norm O'Neill, it now seems as if we have a three way tie at the top of the leaderboard; TMIB, Godot and...well, let's just say it's not Banshees Scream. :unsure: