Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

Two different people, which in my mind makes it worth mentioning, have mucked around with Bernard Archer's Wikipedia page, claiming that he died on May 1. While I cannot find a shred of evidence of this, usually when different people note the death of more marginal figures, my experience has been that it tends to be true and the people have some sort of privileged knowledge not available on the Internet. I'm not certain how famous he is, so I may just be spreading bollocks and apologies if I am, but if he is someone who might slip under the radar for a few days, it may be worth keeping an eye on. Also, it would be a unique-pick, joker hit for Obituarynotice on the DDP.

Two different people, which in my mind makes it worth mentioning, have mucked around with Bernard Archard's Wikipedia page, claiming that he died on May 1. While I cannot find a shred of evidence of this.

How about here or here.

Archard will certainly get a broadsheet obit, as should Mamo in the next week, but neither have a suitable obit at the moment.

Two different people, which in my mind makes it worth mentioning, have mucked around with Bernard Archard's Wikipedia page, claiming that he died on May 1. While I cannot find a shred of evidence of this.

How about here or here.

Archard will certainly get a broadsheet obit, as should Mamo in the next week, but neither have a suitable obit at the moment.

Those both popped up after I posted the message, in my defense.

Two different people, which in my mind makes it worth mentioning, have mucked around with Bernard Archer's Wikipedia page, claiming that he died on May 1. While I cannot find a shred of evidence of this, usually when different people note the death of more marginal figures, my experience has been that it tends to be true and the people have some sort of privileged knowledge not available on the Internet. I'm not certain how famous he is, so I may just be spreading bollocks and apologies if I am, but if he is someone who might slip under the radar for a few days, it may be worth keeping an eye on. Also, it would be a unique-pick, joker hit for Obituarynotice on the DDP.

You know, he was never really alive once Sutekh the Destroyer got hold of him... :angry:

Sorry, CP, I meant it as a guide, not a criticism. Guess I was cranky as I was tired & pissed off with Reading FC :angry:

Anyway, Mamo & Archard added to the list of the lost & site has been updated as normal. Apologies to anyone who received a blank e-mail last update, but you didn't miss much. Will be sorted out for the next update!

Now, when the next update DOES take place - the final part of the OOO jigsaw for the DDP will be in place - thanks to TMIB for his suggestion & as usual I have run away & expanded it a little bit:-

The DDP History is now complete & includes data right up to Hofmann's death (but not Mamo or Archard yet, cos it's not known if they count yet):-

Peruse all you like & make what you will of it here:-

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2008/DDP_history.html

Sorry, CP, I meant it as a guide, not a criticism. Guess I was cranky as I was tired & pissed off with Reading FC :angry:

Anyway, Mamo & Archard added to the list of the lost & site has been updated as normal. Apologies to anyone who received a blank e-mail last update, but you didn't miss much. Will be sorted out for the next update!

Now, when the next update DOES take place - the final part of the OOO jigsaw for the DDP will be in place - thanks to TMIB for his suggestion & as usual I have run away & expanded it a little bit:-

The DDP History is now complete & includes data right up to Hofmann's death (but not Mamo or Archard yet, cos it's not known if they count yet):-

Thanks for the thanks and thanks for the history - I didn't know I was doing so well overall! :angry:

I love it! One quick question just to make sure I'm clear - a "consecutive" hit means like... Hofmann died, then the next person to die was Mamo and I got them both, right? So a "consecutive" hit would only count if the person scored points right? And is the tally the number of times these people have got consecutive hits, or the number of consecutive hits they got (ie 3 means you got a consecutive hit three times in your career vs. 3 means you got Hofmann, Mamo and Archard in a row)?

Sorry if the question is dumb or confusing... I've been pouring thorough Olympic committee reports for my research all day...

I love it! One quick question just to make sure I'm clear - a "consecutive" hit means like... Hofmann died, then the next person to die was Mamo and I got them both, right? So a "consecutive" hit would only count if the person scored points right? And is the tally the number of times these people have got consecutive hits, or the number of consecutive hits they got (ie 3 means you got a consecutive hit three times in your career vs. 3 means you got Hofmann, Mamo and Archard in a row)?

There's a lot of questions there. :angry:

I can use Hoffman & Mamo as an example, actually.

One Foot In The Grave picked Hoffman. If/When Mamo gets an obit, because he picked Mamo as well, it will be a 2nd consecutive pick. Now if Archard DOESN'T get an obit all year, and let's say, Chuck Strahl passes away tomorrow, then OFITG will have three consecutive hits.

Hope that's clearer.

The total is the most consecutive hits in a row. So, Finbarr got 5 in a row in the early days of the game. In truth, I don't think that'll ever be beaten now. I think Nick J way, way back had the most consecutive hits in total. Maybe I should just tweak the title (or is it relatively clear - advice needed).

I must admit I was surprised when it was found that Mr C had the most hits out of everyone, but then he's been around for aeons & been consistent with it.

The points is a little skewed, so Meet Your Maker who has profited the most from the new points system leads that despite having much less hits than Mr C & One Foot. But to be fair, you don't get that many points for being average, so FF deserves to be there by right.

I'm amazed I'm doing so well, considering my first year & my latest year were average. But I have been in it longer & had three consistent years, so maybe fair's fair.

and of course, Jaymee Bowen will always (or as long as I run it anyway) be the youngest death on the DDP.

I was also surprised that there's only been 9 un-natural deaths in 12 yrs.

It was actually quite fun to put together at the end, but a bit of a slog getting the info from 05-07 especially. But I'm well chuffed to have all new pages & existing info up by May. I've already got the 2009 skeleton database ready so from now until September I need to do nothing bar updates. As I expect I'll be changing jobs soon, it means I can still run the DDP & work long hours without the two crossing over.

Sorry for the long-winded reply - I'll be interested what everyone makes of it when I do the next update.

For me though, it celebrates what the DDP has been over the last 12 years, and hopefully will make it a little more interesting for some competitors as they see themselves climb up the historic leaderboard as well as the current....

(and yes, I will update it after each & every hit with luck)

Congratulations OoO. May I add one extra stat? Deathlister with the highest left-brained rating:

Octopus of Odstock: 11/10, or in other words: off the left scale on my right brained/left brained squidometer.

Pollack has about thirty teams and three jokers riding on him. Busy day for OoO then.

Pollack has about thirty teams and three jokers riding on him. Busy day for OoO then.

I've told you before, MPFC, it makes no difference whether they have been picked by 5,000 teams or 1 -the actual update process takes the same time.

What does take time is when you have a number of obits to do at once. That is the case that faces me today (4 at latest count), and all being well I can do it this afternoon. But I might wait until the evening as that is when the filmcrew for the DDP "featurette" are coming around, so I can do a "live" update, as it were.

I've told you before, MPFC, it makes no difference whether they have been picked by 5,000 teams or 1 -the actual update process takes the same time.

What does take time is when you have a number of obits to do at once. That is the case that faces me today (4 at latest count), and all being well I can do it this afternoon. But I might wait until the evening as that is when the filmcrew for the DDP "featurette" are coming around, so I can do a "live" update, as it were.

Look at you Mr. Famous guy...OOO may be famous enough to be listed next year. :lol:

Look at you Mr. Famous guy...OOO may be famous enough to be listed next year. :lol:

If I keep eating pork pies like I have been doing in the last few months, I might be a suitable enough candidate too.... :lol: I would, of course, be worth a fair few points because of my age.... :lol:

I'm guessing you saw the BBC 4 programme on Graham Hill OoO. Thought it a fair portrait of a misunderstood man. Though they skated over the womanising and didn't mention the way his family were sued by the relatives of the others who died on his plane. Few fleeting clips of some old school accidents too, all mangled wreckage and melting tyres.

Current leaderboard...

1. The Living End 85 - 10 hits

2. They're Dead, Y'Know! 72 - 10 hits

3. Godot's Waiting List 71 - 9 hits

4. Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy 59 - 7 hits

5. R.I.P. It Up And Start Again 55 - 7 hits

6. Meet Your Maker 52 - 7 hits

7. Canadian Paul 50 - 8 hits

8. Misers 49 - 7 hits

9. Hunting Halos 46 - 6 hits

10. Already Dead 44 - 5 hits

10. Eejit 44 - 5 hits

Triple O, I can give you a reasonable diet which isn't devastating to follow. If you are interested I would be happy to give you some basics because if you happen to be obese at thirty 'You ain't gonna look fabulous at 50' so keep that in mind. A little bit of will power will take you a long way.

Current leaderboard...

1. The Living End 85 - 10 hits

2. They're Dead, Y'Know! 72 - 10 hits

3. Godot's Waiting List 71 - 9 hits

4. Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy 59 - 7 hits

5. R.I.P. It Up And Start Again 55 - 7 hits - Anubis

6. Meet Your Maker 52 - 7 hits

7. Canadian Paul 50 - 8 hits -err....

8. Misers 49 - 7 hits

9. Hunting Halos 46 - 6 hits

10. Already Dead 44 - 5 hits

10. Eejit 44 - 5 hits

F**k around with my posts, hey? I'll f**k around with my own posts, thank you.

Any chance we could see that list with their DL identities? I'm curious to know if there is anyone there who is not a DL poster. Also I keep forgetting who's who. Godot's Waiting List is me, by the way, and I would guess that Eejit is Eejit, Misers is Misers and Canadian Paul is William Shatner.

I'm guessing you saw the BBC 4 programme on Graham Hill OoO. Thought it a fair portrait of a misunderstood man. Though they skated over the womanising and didn't mention the way his family were sued by the relatives of the others who died on his plane. Few fleeting clips of some old school accidents too, all mangled wreckage and melting tyres.

Nope, I was down the pub with my mate, working on a holiday project. I might catch the repeat if -and it's a big if - time allows. I'm not super desperate to see it, because I pretty much know the Graham Hill story anyway.

Triple O, I can give you a reasonable diet which isn't devastating to follow. If you are interested I would be happy to give you some basics because if you happen to be obese at thirty 'You ain't gonna look fabulous at 50' so keep that in mind. A little bit of will power will take you a long way.

Banshees, thank you for your concern & potential suggestions, but I am happy to say I am neither obese, or even fat. (After all, it was a kind of tongue-in-cheek reply)

I'm medically about 3, maybe 4 pounds overweight (for my height - 5 ft 11), but isn't everybody always medically overweight, even Kate Moss?

I have a penchant for the odd pork pie as a treat from time to time, but am happy to say I exercise mainly, work hard & watch my eating like a good boy should.

But I do agree with your last statement.

But if you want to put me because of stress, then feel free. :angry:

Any chance we could see that list with their DL identities? I'm curious to know if there is anyone there who is not a DL poster

Godot, two of that top 10 are not DL'rs to the best of my knowledge - Tonight Matthew... and Hunting Halos.

I think 'Already Dead' is the only team 'in the top ten' which may not have any connection to this web site. I suspect they may also be American. I'm not positive, but while browsing at US deadpools 'which don't compare to the international DDP' I've seen the name around.

Overall I'm glad our dedicated DDP organizer is healthy. I guess the constant tasks of everyday life drag you down but you need to find a 'happy hour' where you can enjoy the wine or the champaign or whatever. That's how I do it.

Godot, two of that top 10 are not DL'rs to the best of my knowledge - Tonight Matthew... and Hunting Halos.

Not DL'ers and they're still THAT good. They f*****g should be DL'ers IMHO. They know about the DL, right?

I think 'Already Dead' is the only team 'in the top ten' which may not have any connection to this web site. I suspect they may also be American. I'm not positive, but while browsing at US deadpools 'which don't compare to the international DDP' I've seen the name around.

Overall I'm glad our dedicated DDP organizer is healthy. I guess the constant tasks of everyday life drag you down but you need to find a 'happy hour' where you can enjoy the wine or the champaign or whatever. That's how I do it.

They could always use other names...I don't use Misers in my US pools.

big hit for OOO on YSL

big hit for OOO on YSL

TWO big hits for Misers on YSL & BD!

I don't normally update two updates in two days, but I might have to do as otherwise I might have to wait until Saturday to do another one. (besides, it looks better from my perspective in the table :D )