Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

With this UK obit for the cricketer Norm O'Neill, it now seems as if we have a three way tie at the top of the leaderboard; TMIB, Godot and...well, let's just say it's not Banshees Scream. :unsure:

Well it's lonely at the top I suppose... :(

'Master Mind' is not short of confidence let us say and Godot is dark horse. Could be an interesting few months....

'Master Mind' is not short of confidence let us say and Godot is dark horse. Could be an interesting few months....

I'm still on 0. :unsure:

I'm still on 0. :unsure:

Things will pick up. BTW wasn't your birthday recently? It doesn't show on your profile anymore.....

I'm speechless here. I can't believe what I'm reading. Un - f****n believable.

Last night I was analyzing my opponents prospects and I was mentally calculating their probable outcome for this year. I do this about once a week and even as I hate to admit it I'm a pessimist when it comes to viewing the probability of my own candidates demise and I have the same mentality with just about everyone else. Now last night 'no sh*t man' I swear on my DDP teams success this year that I was looking over the Living End's team and I said to myself 'Norm O' Neil?' this has to be a selection based on impulse. I've never heard of him because I have little knowledge on the game of cricket sort of how most people in the UK have little knowledge on the game of American baseball. For this reason, I read a solid proportion of his Wikipedia 'so I could find an explanation for his selection' there wasn't one and on Monday, March 3rd 2008 he drops dead and they don't even mention a cause of death. It's unreal.

Anyway, congratulations to those who selected Jeff Healey. At one point he was on my draft list but his updates on his website were very optimistic but the result proves my perspective wrong and I made a bad call. The bright side is I have several candidates who can match his value and now it does in fact get interesting as a three way tie waits to be broken.

UK obit for Jeff Healey - well done to all of the teams who picked him on the DDP. :unsure:

I thought he wouldn't get one. Live and learn.

Last night I was analyzing my opponents prospects and I was mentally calculating their probable outcome for this year. I do this about once a week...

This is most worrying behaviour, Banshees. You need to take a step back from this whole DDP thing. It's consuming you.

Crumbs!

Juran, Raymond, Healey, O'Neill, di Stefano AND Gurung dead or obituary-met in a day!

Well, I had thought of leaving the next update til Tuesday/Wednesday, but not now... :unsure: Will be done later this evening.

TMIB,

1) Note how well Rude Kid is doing now he doesn't have to host the thing. Note how poorly I am doing - thing is, only Christodolous came close to my final 20 and I dropped him because I didn't think he'd get an obit.

2) It was my 30th birthday on Saturday 1st March.

Crumbs!

Juran, Raymond, Healey, O'Neill, di Stefano AND Gurung dead or obituary-met in a day!

Well, I had thought of leaving the next update til Tuesday/Wednesday, but not now... :unsure: Will be done later this evening.

TMIB,

1) Note how well Rude Kid is doing now he doesn't have to host the thing. Note how poorly I am doing - thing is, only Christodolous came close to my final 20 and I dropped him because I didn't think he'd get an obit.

Happy Birthday!!!! and Thanks for all the hard work!

Crumbs!

Well, I had thought of leaving the next update til Tuesday/Wednesday, but not now... :( Will be done later this evening.

TMIB,

1) You couldn't do it a bit later could you, so I can enjoy my lead a bit more! :)

2) Thought so! I never forget these things. You probably had an existential crisis approaching the big three-oh, but it'll pass. It did for me....until I turned 31! :unsure:

Anything happened lately? Any deaths the past day or two? :unsure: I was just passing and thought I'd bob in.

Not much, Godot old chap, but if you check the scoreboard you may notice something slightly different at the top.... ;)

* Sorry, TMIB, but you've had long enough up there for now! *

Not much, Godot old chap, but if you check the scoreboard you may notice something slightly different at the top.... ;)

* Sorry, TMIB, but you've had long enough up there for now! *

Well done OoO and nice to see it's in alphabetical order. I'm going to enjoy the limelight while it lasts - which won't be long.

Anything happened lately? Any deaths the past day or two? ;) I was just passing and thought I'd bob in.

Any deaths, just an avalanche that's all! None for me though which means there's three at the top (Me, You and DDT).

I'll take the left side of the bed if you don't mind....and don't take all of the douvet! :o

Anything happened lately? Any deaths the past day or two? ;) I was just passing and thought I'd bob in.

Any deaths, just an avalanche that's all! None for me though which means there's three at the top (Me, You and DDT).

I'll take the left side of the bed if you don't mind....and don't take all of the douvet! :o

I couldn't imagine any pleasanter bedfellows. It's just like Withnail and I. We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now.

Guest A bit o' Bully

So you get everything in this game for three in a bed ;)

The death of Pym means OoO must be finally off the mark!

Congratulations.

So it is. There's a birthday present for you! :rolleyes:

Hurrah!!

Now watch me get the other 19 hits.... :P

I'm going to resist temptation to remove the 0 by my name & do an update tonight, cos I've spent most of the morning uploading photos, so I'll probably do an update at the weekend (just in case anyone else goes overnight or Staurday - might as well kill two birds with one stone).

Now a two-way tie at the top - DDT has been kicked out of the bed & Godot & TMIB are sharing it very closely... :rolleyes:

Hurrah!!

I'm going to resist temptation to remove the 0 by my name & do an update tonight, cos I've spent most of the morning uploading photos, so I'll probably do an update at the weekend (just in case anyone else goes overnight or Staurday - might as well kill two birds with one stone).

Now a two-way tie at the top - DDT has been kicked out of the bed & Godot & TMIB are sharing it very closely... :rolleyes:

..... and the little one said: "Roll over, roll over, so they all rolled over and......."

Lazare Ponticelli has gotten a BBC obit, not surprisingly. Well done Time is NOT on our side on a unique hit!

Hurrah!!

Now a two-way tie at the top - DDT has been kicked out of the bed & Godot & TMIB are sharing it very closely... :P

..... and the little one said: "Roll over, roll over, so they all rolled over and......."

......all fell out.... :)

Once my e-mail server is fixed (again), I will be able to send out the update for Wilde/Scofield & the update for Wallace/Ewing.

All pictures are up, apart from those people that couldn't be found - I'll send an e-mail for help with these, but I think it's about 18 of the 1,000+ picked, which ain't bad at all.

Inane Analysis is currently being analysed, so that will be up soon (albeit in a slightly different format than before).

Then I hope to do two new pages :-

• List of the Missed
  • DDP History

The first is those who were picked before, but died this year - a bit like what CP has on his pool - because I am fed up of people picking already dead picks & this might go some way to eliminating that.

The 2nd is what it says - the history of the DDP, but updated - a bit of a stats cruncher, but current (and past) players can see where, precisely, they lie in the DDP Halls of Fame.

Then, I'll get the 2009 game set-up, which should - all being well - leave me with only death updates to do between late April to late November & I can have a wee bit more social life! :)

In the meantime, suggestions are always welcome & if it can be done & I think it enhances the game or the site, then it will be done.

Good work son....

I did notice that the picture for Bert Wallace the footballer is actually of Don Revie!

This is Bert...

1950_ENG_gk_BertWilliams.jpg

:)