Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2008

Unique DDP pick Maila Nurmi, who played a sultry vampress by the name of Vampira, when Elvira was only two, has walked into the sunset (or perhaps, in her case, the sunlight), but thus far only garnered two small-time obits.

Well that would just be my luck, to finally have one of unique picks die and her not to get an obit, still early days.

Yeah, I wouldn't panic yet Handy, she was a cult heroine fairly widely known and also the sort who would be known to entertainment journos and the like so it may be that the Wiki page is currently being pillaged as the papers get onto the case for Monday. She was a hideous sight many years ago, missing part of her gum when interviewed about James Dean so it had never occured to me - and I guess many others - that she might still be alive. You may have an inspired pick there.

Two things -

1) Re. "Vampira"/Nurmi - her death, like many a cult actor/actress (say Dr. Who, James Bond etc.), or indeed a particular field (Hans Ruesch in motor racing, for example) is often filtered through very quickly through sites dedicated to that particular genre. It then usually takes a few days before it is copied & syndicated by the mainstream US (and thus worldwide) press/

I would be astonished if she doesn't get a UK obit.

2) TMIB asked amongst other things - thanks by the way - if Ayers was one of the shortest entries in terms of life-span on the DDP. After consulting my files, he was equal 8th.

Cyril Fletcher - who died on the 1st Jan was a hit for Rude Kid & Notapotato in 2005 & was the all-time shortest span. Choi & Princess thingymegub were joint 2nd, along with Charles "Garry" Betty & then Antonio Todde, Sir William Skate & Nap Botterell all died on the 3rd day of their first inclusion of the DDP. So did Abdulov, of course, but it depends on whether he will count in the annals of DDP history...

Two things -

1) Re. "Vampira"/Nurmi - her death, like many a cult actor/actress (say Dr. Who, James Bond etc.), or indeed a particular field (Hans Ruesch in motor racing, for example) is often filtered through very quickly through sites dedicated to that particular genre. It then usually takes a few days before it is copied & syndicated by the mainstream US (and thus worldwide) press/

I would be astonished if she doesn't get a UK obit.

2) TMIB asked amongst other things - thanks by the way - if Ayers was one of the shortest entries in terms of life-span on the DDP. After consulting my files, he was equal 8th.

Cyril Fletcher - who died on the 1st Jan was a hit for Rude Kid & Notapotato in 2005 & was the all-time shortest span. Choi & Princess thingymegub were joint 2nd, along with Charles "Garry" Betty & then Antonio Todde, Sir William Skate & Nap Botterell all died on the 3rd day of their first inclusion of the DDP. So did Abdulov, of course, but it depends on whether he will count in the annals of DDP history...

That's great, you obviously have more stats than I thought on these things.

It is possible to rustle up a few 'All-time' statistics, such as the competitor with the most hits in the history of DDP, most points etc. For instance, my own cumulative total is 18 'scoring' hits (1 non-scoring) and a points total of 108 (1 less than Meet Your Maker did for just 2007, which is a measure of the top man's class...)

That's great, you obviously have more stats than I thought on these things.

It is possible to rustle up a few 'All-time' statistics, such as the competitor with the most hits in the history of DDP, most points etc. For instance, my own cumulative total is 18 'scoring' hits (1 non-scoring) and a points total of 108 (1 less than Meet Your Maker did for just 2007, which is a measure of the top man's class...)

Er.. maybe. But I do have a lot on right now... :rolleyes:

I just went on the DDP past competition pages & worked it out.

The scoring is somewhat flawed, due to the changes, as it benefits the new & not the old. But if I had to guess, either Rude Kid or Jesus Jones have the most hits, simply due to being in the competition for so long, but Meet Your Maker must be catching them quickly.

Maybe, if I get all the little things done & both DDP, life & work gives me a few days clear (certainly ain't right now), a DDP History page might not be a bad idea....

Good News for Handrejka - the latest Associated Press "Obituaries in the News" features Vampira, so tomorrow or Thursday, that should reappear in the Guardian - if, of course, there's not another obit beforehand.

Perhaps an even more inspired pick than Anna Nicole Smith, The Winged Devil Monkeys are going to score an assload of points when a proper UK obit arises for Brad Renfro, dead at age 25.

I tip my hat to thee, well chosen.

Perhaps an even more inspired pick than Anna Nicole Smith, The Winged Devil Monkeys are going to score an assload of points when a proper UK obit arises for Brad Renfro, dead at age 25.

Aye top pick, respect to the Winged Devil Monkeys

Speaking of Monkeys, did any get awarded for 2007?

Good News for Handrejka - the latest Associated Press "Obituaries in the News" features Vampira, so tomorrow or Thursday, that should reappear in the Guardian - if, of course, there's not another obit beforehand.

Even CNN is reporting on it now. Surely the United Kingdom won't be upstaged by the American media?

Aye top pick, respect to the Winged Devil Monkeys

Speaking of Monkeys, did any get awarded for 2007?

The Monkeys panel is still deliberating on nominations. There is plenty of time for more if you wish to dig up the Monkeys thread.

Guest Guest_Handrejka_*

Even CNN is reporting on it now. Surely the United Kingdom won't be upstaged by the American media?

Was in The Times yesterday http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/o...icle3196978.ece and Brad doodah got a BBC obit

Well done Handejka for getting Vampira and well done to the Winged Devil Monkeys for the inspired choice of Brad thingy. Pity it wasn't a joker...

As Phantom mentioned in the dead thread, Canadian broadcaster Don Wittman is a goner. Remains to be seen whether he'll get a proper obit or not, though personally I'd be surprised.

Wittman, a moderately popular pick with one team Kackers United punting their joker in his direction.

We can only hope......

As Phantom mentioned in the dead thread, Canadian broadcaster Don Wittman is a goner. Remains to be seen whether he'll get a proper obit or not, though personally I'd be surprised.

Wittman, a moderately popular pick with one team Kackers United punting their joker in his direction.

We can only hope......

At the moment it's just the Canadian press offices that are reporting Wittman's death

edited to say:- I take that back, Sports Illustrated are now carrying the story

Actress Suzanne Pleshette has died aged 70.

She was the widow of "Mork and Mindy's" Tom Poston and the on-screen wife of Bob Newhart

Looks as if my DDP lead is short lived, with Wormer he's a Dead Man! (etc) and Misers getting points (subject to a proper obit of course).

And with Don Wittman signing off, that means Wormer should be in the lead with 4 hits in less than three weeks!

Just ahead with Misers, who's proving so far to be the Lewis Hamilton of the DDP...

Post moved - LG

Edited by themaninblack

Actress Suzanne Pleshette has died aged 70...

So that's a hit for the following...

2 Sick 2 Not Quit

But I'm Not Dead Yet

Chicken At Tresky's

Crazycarl

Croaker De'Ath And The Prognosticators

Dead And Don't Know It

Deadheaddawg

Dispatch Without Delay

From Dust To Dung

George Lass and the Gravelings

Harry Patch's Love Child

Jims Deadbeats

Misers

Perish, The Thought

Riding The Jesus Train

Shovelful Of Dirt

2008 Crematorium Cheerleaders

The Praying Vultures

The Reaper's Roundup

They Died And Left Me In Charge

This Team Is So Safe It Is Sponsored By Volvo

We Spin Terror

Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer...

Which means rookie Misers takes the lead with 26 points...

Guest Teethless

25 says the site.

25 says the site.

Oops, sorry..25 then.

Of course if Wormer gets a legit obit for Don Wittman, then he'll get 26 points...er, I think! ;)

Guest teethless again
Oops, sorry..25 then.

Of course if Wormer gets a legit obit for Don Wittman, then he'll get 26 points...er, I think! :)

No 25 as well.

Read Mr Odstock's latest update ;)

25 says the site.

sh*t, I had her last year - on my list that is - then took her off. I wonder if they'll leave her for the birds as Hitchcock did.

Taking this into perspective I'm surprised to hear Suzanne Pleshette is gone because the main reason I excluded her from my 2008 Master Mind team was because reports were consistent that she insisted her cancer was none existent. Anyway the outcome is real and the risk proves itself to serve the purpose and as anybody would have guessed Don Wittman has so- far failed to receive the so called required 'BBC Obituary'

Suwhoreto is unfortunately making a dramatic recovery after suffering from so many ailments it would have convinced the most blind - pessimistic - theme team orientated - mother f****r to believe that it was the real deal but he is giving it a fight and I'm starting to believe that news papers never fail to exaggerate the circumstances. By some miracle the cash chugging Suwhoreto lives on ... for now.

Anyway Pavle has regained a stable condition while Archbishop Christodolous is at his final show down. I also want to congratulate this Miser individual for taking first place in DDP while The Man In Black has also had this Ayers individual who was very unique I want to say - both good teams. If the "Misers' team only had Pausch as their joker I would be intimidated.

I am a bit peevaed that Suzanne Pleshette is gone also.

I removed her from my prospective list when it was anounced that she was cancer free last year.

Congrats to the teams that selected her.

Oops, sorry..25 then.

Of course if Wormer gets a legit obit for Don Wittman, then he'll get 26 points...er, I think! :)

No 25 as well.

Read Mr Odstock's latest update ;)

No, no, he's on 19. Wittman's worth 7 points so that makes it 26.

No obit yet mind...