Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

Simon Gray, a famous play write, who has gained epic fame for his 'smoking diaries' now officially has lung cancer. According to this article, he still won't stop smoking. The man claims he might die laughing. I can see from where he stands.

At this rate, any stuntman working on the new James Bond movie

We are practically 1\6th through the year 2008 and talking results we have seen both the expected and unexpected. Then again, it sort of works that way with everything. Today I give you a short report on candidates who were common but weak choices for the year 2008. My top ten in no specific order.

1. Tony Snow - I've seen him on at least two separate talk shows in the passed two or three months and both times he looked more healthy and seemed very active. His cancer is in remission so that should have meant 'Next year'

New CNN commentator Tony Snow was reportedly taken to the hospital this morning. In Washington state, the DC-based Snow canceled a series of speeches at Eastern Washington University because of illness. He was treated for exhaustion at the hospital, says a source. There is no word yet on his health status - he's been battling colon cancer - or whether he will appear on the air tonight with CNN, during its coverage of the Pennsylvania presidential primary.....

He was on my Weatherman90 team for this year before it was aborted. I may have to find a home for him when my RDP switches over in May (if he lasts that long).

CP: How many pools are you in? RDP?

RDP = Rotten Dead Pool it has the advantages of being able to start whenever, a Hall of Fame that starts at 7 hits and, since you have to choose from a predetermined list of a couple thousand names, there's no worrying about whether or not you'll get an obit or that you'll be competing against a team of Edna Parkers or Josie Groves. The downsides are that even among the thousands of choices, it tends to be fairly Americentric - and even still, they don't have Phil Hill and only just added Jack Ramsay, so you have to be prepared for the fact that you won't be able to pick a lot of your bankers. Also, since every hit is worth one point, there's no incentive to pick interesting picks - if Britney Spears dies, that's as many points as Billy Graham.

I was in 5 - DDP, WDP, CPDP, HDP and RDP. Out of those, however, I don't tend to take my own too seriously, since I don't really want to win my own pool, so I tend to try and pick more interesting (or at least less standard) teams for S&Gs. Also, NAP's HDP is reserved strictly for my "Dream Team," in which I only pick people who I have seen die in dreams. While I take the picks out of that pool seriously, it's still not exactly a winning strategy - and I list them in the order that I saw them die in dreams, so that means (at least it did last year) that I have to hope for incredible coincidence rather than using skill.

The WDP is gone now but, if Handy is going to be restarting her pool in May as she suggested, I will probably submit my WDP team (thus far, none have died *knocks on wood*) for that, along with other things I need to fill the gap, since all my picks should be eligible by her rules. So it will remain at five.

Also, to keep (sort of) on topic, I will be updated the I&P Names lists soon, now that I have a bit more free time because I'm done with one of my classes for the year (at least in terms of assignments).

Guest PtBacon

Does anyone here do Cash 4 Cadavers? Not seen much mention of it but it has a big cash prize. I'm currently running second in it with 8 deaths from 20- gonna be hard to win though as the person who's leading seems pretty immense.

We are practically 1\6th through the year 2008 and talking results we have seen both the expected and unexpected. Then again, it sort of works that way with everything. Today I give you a short report on candidates who were common but weak choices for the year 2008. My top ten in no specific order.

1. Tony Snow - I've seen him on at least two separate talk shows in the passed two or three months and both times he looked more healthy and seemed very active. His cancer is in remission so that should have meant 'Next year'

New CNN commentator Tony Snow was reportedly taken to the hospital this morning. In Washington state, the DC-based Snow canceled a series of speeches at Eastern Washington University because of illness. He was treated for exhaustion at the hospital, says a source. There is no word yet on his health status - he's been battling colon cancer - or whether he will appear on the air tonight with CNN, during its coverage of the Pennsylvania presidential primary.....

Interview with Tony Snow:

How is your health?

Health is fine. I had a little condition, not directly related to cancer, that I went through early in the week, but I’m doing fine.

"Not directly related to cancer" Hmmm....what does that mean. <_<

That means his cancer treatment weakened him to the point he got something like a respiratory infection, and 'fine' means medical management of the cancer is keeping him stable, for now. If you assume cancer is the elephant in the room as he speaks, it all figures.

How about the (latest) Austrian nut job? And/or his wife, who's going with "I had no idea what was happening" defence, so popular in that part of the world over the years.

Cellar dweller

Regrettably there's apparently no death penalty in Austria, but suicide or killed by fellow inmates could be a possibility, especially if the authorities do the decent thing and leave him totally unsupervised amongst the general prison population.

This is more down the "famous for being ill" line, but it's a decent one.

Stephen Jenkins, 58. Has AIDS, is in prison & wants to die in the UK as he will not survive his full sentence.

For those of you who go for this type of pick on dead pools, he seems a pretty decent bet. He seems a bit of a lowlife too, so no moral dilemma too, I guess.

The former Chief Constable of the Royal Ulster Constabulary, Sir John Hermon, 79, has been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for the last six years and now needs round the clock nursing care. He has just had to move nursing homes as information about his whereabouts was discovered by republican dissidents...

The former Chief Constable of the Royal Ulster Constabulary, Sir John Hermon, 79, has been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for the last six years and now needs round the clock nursing care. He has just had to move nursing homes as information about his whereabouts was discovered by republican dissidents...

and on my DDP team for the last two years...... :angry:

I knew he was ill, but if a Republican dissident got him, that would mean much more points than I envisaged..... Especially if they do it on the 13th of the month. :angry:

f**k sake, that says everything about the mentality of those after him. Then again, appauled as we may be, them points would be tempting if he's still in action on January 1st.

Paul Birch, a former footballer, who was labeled a star for the 'Wolves' and 'Villa' is reported seriously ill because he is suffering from bone cancer. He has undergone radiation treatment, but just started chemotherapy today. My knowledge on the game of football is very limited, but at the age of 45, he could be in some deadpoolers future plans. :party:

Paul Birch, a former footballer, who was labeled a star for the 'Wolves' and 'Villa' is reported seriously ill because he is suffering from bone cancer. He has undergone radiation treatment, but just started chemotherapy today. My knowledge on the game of football is very limited, but at the age of 45, he could be in some deadpoolers future plans. :party:

Fast. But not as fast as me :angry: .

He played a fantastic season for Exeter at the tale end of his career. Fondly remembered round here.

From what I've heard today, his prognosis is very poor indeed. He won't see 2009.

From what I've heard today, his prognosis is very poor indeed. He won't see 2009.

He'll get a suitable obit too. Played about 6 or 7 seasons in the top-flight & won the European Super Cup in 1982 for Villa. I well remember him running rings around our defence (not difficult :party: ) in 1986/1987 when we & Villa were briefly in the same league, if only by name rather than on the pitch.

This news, and Mark Kendall's recent death makes me feel a lot older than my years. I struggle to fathom the fact that three of Luton Town's squad & one of Arsenal's are already dead when they meet again to mark Luton's 1988 Littlewoods Cup triumph.... :angry:

He'll get a suitable obit too. Played about 6 or 7 seasons in the top-flight & won the European Super Cup in 1982 for Villa. I well remember him running rings around our defence (not difficult :party: ) in 1986/1987 when we & Villa were briefly in the same league, if only by name rather than on the pitch.

This news, and Mark Kendall's recent death makes me feel a lot older than my years. I struggle to fathom the fact that three of Luton Town's squad & one of Arsenal's are already dead when they meet again to mark Luton's 1988 Littlewoods Cup triumph.... :angry:

What do you mean, you still are?.....(at least until Sunday) :angry:

when we & Villa were briefly in the same league

What do you mean, you still are?.....(at least until Sunday) :party:

No, no. When we were really sh*t at the old Elm Park. Playing Villa & Man City that one season was like royalty - it had the same awe as playing Chelsea or Man United does now. I remember those two games coming around & the town was gripped with excitement. The likes of David Platt, Tony Daley, Paul Stewart, Allan Evans, Tony Coton - at Elm Park?! WOW!

Hard to believe now, I know. :angry:

The Curse of Kevin Drinkell? :party:

Have I got it right? Who was the Luton goalie who saved the penalty in that 1988 final?

The Curse of_______ is a play on the Deathlist 'Curse of Gene Wilder' gag...

Have I got it right? Who was the Luton goalie who saved the penalty in that 1988 final?

Andy Dibble. He's a mate of mine - damn good chap. Still has physical scars from those burns suffered during a match & mental scars from not being paid when he played for Wrexham.

Kevin Drinkell was a forward for Grimsby, Norwich & Rangers, and had nothing to do with Luton or Arsenal, hence my confusion.

Andy Dibble. He's a mate of mine - damn good chap. Still has physical scars from those burns suffered during a match & mental scars from not being paid when he played for Wrexham.

Kevin Drinkell was a forward for Grimsby, Norwich & Rangers, and had nothing to do with Luton or Arsenal, hence my confusion.

ANDY DIBBLE! That's the chap. I knew it was a quirky name....

[take 2]

The Curse of Andy Dibble? :party:

Are the burns from Lutons' infamous plastic pitch?

I came across this piece in The Guardian at the weekend - about Martin Allen, an 'historian' who forged documents and placed them in the National Archives to back up his extravagant claims about the UK's collaboration with the Nazi regime. The article states that the CPS has declined to prosecute him, partly on the grounds of his deteriorating health. I suspect that the newsworthiness of the story may guarantee him a mention somewhere.

Obviously the situation in Burma is pretty catastrophic for millions of people but it also can't do much for the blood pressure of the seriously ill Than Shwe, or for the health of jailed U Win Tin - who if this is accurate was pretty poorly before the cyclone - U Win Tin In Sin Bin. How people are going to get medical supplies or food to him right now, if his prison isn't flooded & the family members haven't already perished... it can't help, no?

But Aung San Suu Kyi has come through okay, except for an errant tree.