Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

At least he isn't using zie and zir.

Franco-Chinglish isn't far off from that I find ;-)

BTW what is your stance on using the third person plural for anonymity? I am doing some English corrections for my former boss and in his letter to some reviewers he has opted to use his (her), him (her) etc. throughout. I think it is a bit Germaine Greer for my liking but I can't fault it, there are bigger squid to fry. Oh am I in for a riveting evening.

Mono your old boss has already asked this one here. :lol:

BTW what is your stance on using the third person plural for anonymity? I am doing some English corrections for my former boss and in his letter to some reviewers he has opted to use his (her), him (her) etc. throughout. I think it is a bit Germaine Greer for my liking but I can't fault it, there are bigger squid to fry. Oh am I in for a riveting evening.

Mono your old boss has already asked this one here. :lol:

Yôn

And be careful not to confuse they're with their. I see native speakers doing this all the time. It's not so hard once you know what they mean.

they're = they are (two words)

their = possesive (as in Joelline's post)

languageGuy

And don't forget also:

there = not here.

Now something seems eerily familiar, I can't quite place my finger on it, however I am sure I know of someone who liberally makes these mistakes time and again.

Shirley Bassey has had an emergency operation on her stomach.

Sadly, she is still alive.

She gets to be a "Dame" because she sang Goldfinger? Damn you Brits aren't all that discriminating in awarding that title.

We are not - it absolutely astounds and disgusts me that Kelly Holmes is a dame. She won a couple of running races. Whoopee sh*t. 'Dame' in Holmes' case is an absolute joke.

A bit strong Lardy. Did she throw a brick through your window or something? I think Blair was just keen to hand out a few popular gongs and titles. Brown should try it. He could enoble a Blue Peter Presenter or someone from Big Brother.

I see LB's point. These celebrities have the benefit of media coverage. Imagine someone from some more obscure domain, say newt-onian dynamics or to bring it closer to heart, squid science or anglobelgian relations. Let's take the squidophile, say they have some earth shattering breakthrough in their respective field making them internationally famous on the squid science conference circuit, i.e. top of their game for their profession. Is it fair that just because they don't make (insert popular British media outlet here) they won't get to see Bettie?

Godot, think of the squidophiles. Arise and take arms against this grave injustice today!

Monkey, its not fair but its life.

Do I detect a twinge of jealousy?

Are you in a state of fantasy? Are you reciting the very words that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand proud, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Dame Monoclinic."

Hmmm. :lol:

Are you in a state of fantasy? Are you reciting the very words that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand proud, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Dame Monoclinic."

Hmmm. :lol:

Not at all, I like travelling around too much to be focused at being "top of the game", that and the fact I have a desire to keep my tongue firmly on the red side of brown!

Even if I were some hot shot squidophile, I'm not Windsor. I have no desire to meet the Queen and the rest of her newt-onian family.

These are the people who should make us proud.

A fair few backsliders in that list, though. Hats off to Jane 'Tommo' Tomlinson, who accepted a gong and then couldn't even be arsed to show up and collect it.

A fair few backsliders in that list, though. Hats off to Jane 'Tommo' Tomlinson, who accepted a gong and then couldn't even be arsed to show up and collect it.

Mostly writers and artists, not many captains of industry. What does that say?

Micky Duff, boxing promotor, a bit further down the dementia road than Terry Pratchett, not so far from reality as Muhammad Ali, apparently.

One to watch, then.

Hmmm. :angry:

Not at all, I like travelling around too much to be focused at being "top of the game", that and the fact I have a desire to keep my tongue firmly on the red side of brown!

Even if I were some hot shot squidophile, I'm not Windsor. I have no desire to meet the Queen and the rest of her newt-onian family.

I quite agree with you.

What does grate on me even more are the cockspanners that refuse an honour because its not a big enough one!!!!!

Keep travelling Monkey, in some ways I envy you and your free spirit.

Your a class act.

Tony Snow is ill again. I don't believe all of his spin about how he is in remission from cancer and in good health. He is terminally ill and I'd say his prospects of living another year are no better than 50/50.

Anne Francis, actress from Forbidden Planet, Bad Day at Black Rock, Funny Girl and various other movies, has a cancerous chunk of lung removed and is now undergoing chemotherapy. Article says she's also suffered serious weight loss.

She's apparently beaten the cancer (this is her latest update, but the April one gave her a clean slate). Obviously a little biased, since it's coming from her herself, but looks positive anyhow.

An interesting list are those who returned their honours, mainly in protest at government policies, except the unspeakable Yasmin Alibhai-Brown,who seemingly did it after Benjamin Zephaniah got a lot of publicity for refusing his OBE. long and careful consideration about the role of post-colonial Britain in a changing world. or summat.

What does grate on me even more are the cockspanners that refuse an honour because its not a big enough one!!!!!

Senator. Arlen Specter, who I've already mentioned, has been given the news that his Hodgkins Lymphoma has returned. About 25% of the population diagnosed with the illness die from it. Specter is near 80, and has already had bypass surgery which he barely survived. Specter also had a misdiagnosed brain tumor which he was told to be fatal. After battling so many illnesses it provokes one to question why it's recurrences never fold.

Update on Specter. This real-life Unlucky Alf was also misdiagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease in the 1970s.

Chinghiz Aitmatov, Kyrgyz writer & ambassador, is seriously ill after renal failure.

To quote Wikipedia:

On 16 May 2008 Aitmatov suffered kidney failure and was admitted into a hospital in Nuremberg, Germany, where he is reportedly in a coma.

The latest is that he is "stable" but "in a grave condition". Earlier link

Not sure how famous he is, but I suspect he would get an obit, especially if he might be nominated, as is rumoured, for a Nobel Prize.

Steven Crawshaw, 47, the chief executive of Bradford & Bingley Bank, has resigned with immediate effect because he is suffering from a "serious cardiovascular condition"

Actress Tatum O'Neil arrested for purchasing Crack cocaine. That can't be very healthy.... :D

Actress Tatum O'Neil arrested for purchasing Crack cocaine. That can't be very healthy.... :D

Tatum's had a number of drug problems, she'll be off to rehab pretty soon.

At most if she's to die within the next year, it's most likely to be a suicide.

Anyway, she's been released and due to appear in court July 28th

The Wiki page of American radio DJ Eleanor Mondale, says that she was treated for brain cancer in 2005 and in 2008 she announced the tumour had returned. She has undergone surgery and is now receiving chemotherapy, she is well enough to present her radio show for 1 hour each day. Dead American radio DJs don't tend to get mentioned in the UK press, but this one might as her father is the former American Vice President Walter Mondale.

Senator Robert Byrd, 90, hospitalized

link

How's about Hiroo Onoda, fighting WWII until 1974, and one of the last Japanese troops to surrender?

Kelsey Grammer has suffered a mild heart attack

How's about Hiroo Onoda, fighting WWII until 1974, and one of the last Japanese troops to surrender?

I once knew of a guy who lived across the street and thought the Vietnam war was still going on. Early in the morning I would see him all covered in dirt as he came out of the bushes.

She will always be held in the highest esteem, if only for her work in the advancement of the bikini, but Brigitte Bardot is in trouble for again criticising Islam. There's a lot of them in France so you never know. Halibuts that is, not bikinis.