The Miser

Paul Newman

I wouldn't have been offended until you added "no offence but.." that's a bloody stupid saying, no offence.

It's late here and I'm tired and I realised my mistake very quickly and edited the post straight away.

He's not looking good...

No-one looks good in a McHat.

Nice watch though. Can I have it when he's gone?

• Like 1

He's heading towards the chequered flag...

I've actually bought his cereal before.

I believe his agent. I'm not buying into this cancer business.

The image doesn't convince me.

I wouldn't have been offended until you added "no offence but.." that's a bloody stupid saying, no offence.

It's late here and I'm tired and I realised my mistake very quickly and edited the post straight away.

Its dawn Handrejka, here's your blindfold, now just make your way over to that post, don't worry about the boys here with the guns. Ready.....aim....fire!!!

Claims he is doing nicely according to the Torygraph. He doesn't look like he is doing so nicely in the picture though.

Claims he is doing nicely according to the Torygraph. He doesn't look like he is doing so nicely in the picture though.

A.E. Hotchner claims that Newman does have cancer

I've actually bought his cereal before.

I believe his agent. I'm not buying into this cancer business.

The image doesn't convince me.

BS, you can't possibly be serious. Agents and other mouthpieces are paid to lie. It's pretty much certain that Newman has cancer.

BS, you can't possibly be serious. Agents and other mouthpieces are paid to lie. It's pretty much certain that Newman has cancer.

I say "Why lie?" Here is one of the latest articles which this A.E. Hotcher claims to be misquoted by the media. Some political figures (Probably Than Shwe.. Umaru Yar’Adua... Yasuo Fukuda) are all names who tried to conceal their health struggles, but that's politics. From the reactions in some of the articles, I'm being given the impression (He had surgery, he is now recovering) sort of vibe. I don't think it's impossible that he has cancer but having it be terminal is an example of how tabloids overreact.

I say "Why lie?" Here is one of the latest articles which this A.E. Hotcher claims to be misquoted by the media. Some political figures (Probably Than Shwe.. Umaru Yar’Adua... Yasuo Fukuda) are all names who tried to conceal their health struggles, but that's politics. From the reactions in some of the articles, I'm being given the impression (He had surgery, he is now recovering) sort of vibe. I don't think it's impossible that he has cancer but having it be terminal is an example of how tabloids overreact.

The answer to "why lie" is that celebrities don't like their personal struggles to be aired publicly (a perfectly understandable reaction). There is far too much evidence here to deny that Paul Newman has a very serious type of cancer (lung cancer is probably it). If we were sitting in a bar I would ask how much you want to bet. As I said in a previous post, "sad last days" stories are one of the things that tabloids often get right.

The answer to "why lie" is that celebrities don't like their personal struggles to be aired publicly (a perfectly understandable reaction). There is far too much evidence here to deny that Paul Newman has a very serious type of cancer (lung cancer is probably it). If we were sitting in a bar I would ask how much you want to bet. As I said in a previous post, "sad last days" stories are one of the things that tabloids often get right.

I've had Paul Newman as a strong candidate for my deathlist of 2009, even 2008. But at this juncture, if Paul Newman doesn't want to be bothered right now, re: any potential illnesses, let him be.

He's a wonderful act who's always been low-key and private.

With that said, as much as I'm rooting for him to recover (if he's indeed sick), at his advanced age (83) and the way he has looked, I don't have much hope for him.

There is far too much evidence here to deny that Paul Newman has a very serious type of cancer

There is hard evidence of much speculation but there isn't hard evidence of what the extremity of his condition is. It's rational to theorize about the possible circumstances but until it's official (which it is not) I'm not fully convinced his diagnosis is terminal. With many of his associates denying his illness and with him replying "I'm doing nicely" it encourages one to think his illness is exaggerated. By how much it is exaggerated is the next question. Without being optimistic couldn't you agree? Emphysema is a little different then lung cancer. .

Emphysema is a little different then lung cancer. .

Yes, but short of a double lung transplant, it's an irreversible, degenerative and terminal condition which leads to a horrible death. Give me a quick end from lung cancer any day.

I doubt very much Paul Newman has emphysema, he was still halfway fit and healthy until last year - acting, motor racing etc - someone would have noticed his breathing difficulties earlier if he had a chronic pulmonary complaint.

There is far too much evidence here to deny that Paul Newman has a very serious type of cancer

There is hard evidence of much speculation but there isn't hard evidence of what the extremity of his condition is. It's rational to theorize about the possible circumstances but until it's official (which it is not) I'm not fully convinced his diagnosis is terminal. With many of his associates denying his illness and with him replying "I'm doing nicely" it encourages one to think his illness is exaggerated. By how much it is exaggerated is the next question. Without being optimistic couldn't you agree? Emphysema is a little different then lung cancer. .

He has Cancer.

He is 83 years old.

Id say that is pretty f*****g terminal, wouldnt you? :)

I've had Paul Newman as a strong candidate for my deathlist of 2009, even 2008. But at this juncture, if Paul Newman doesn't want to be bothered right now, re: any potential illnesses, let him be.

With that said, as much as I'm rooting for him to recover (if he's indeed sick), at his advanced age (83) and the way he has looked, I don't have much hope for him.

Yes, BC, I'll "let him be". I won't go to his house or call him on the phone, OK? Regarding whether I want him to recover, although it's been said, the idea of this sort of thing (death pools, death leagues) is to correctly predict who's going to die, not wish for it. One of my first picks in the Death League was Mother Teresa. I admired her as one of the best people in the world and certainly didn't want her to die, but as she was old and sick, I selected her as a terrific candidate.

Yes, BC, I'll "let him be". I won't go to his house or call him on the phone, OK? Regarding whether I want him to recover, although it's been said, the idea of this sort of thing (death pools, death leagues) is to correctly predict who's going to die, not wish for it. One of my first picks in the Death League was Mother Teresa. I admired her as one of the best people in the world and certainly didn't want her to die, but as she was old and sick, I selected her as a terrific candidate.

Fair enough deadsox. I enjoy participating in these death pools though there are times I wish that I wouldn't be picking names of celebs I actually like (Newman, Patrick Swayze, etc.).

Though frankly, the celebrities that i am rooting to die (Fidel Castro, Billy Graham), aren't exactly knocking on death's door. :birthday2:

Just like in sports betting, it's best to keep emotions out of it. I wouldn't bet on teams I like, e.g. because I'd always be thinking up reasons why they might win instead of rationally figuring if they were likely to win. In my league, one team used their "franchise" tag on Osama bin Laden for six years. Needless to say, he didn't score and they lost money all of those years.

Regardless, if they survive I see a lot of Swayze/Kenneddy/Newman picks.

Just got this quote from an article reporting the death of Fire Engineer Eddie Keen in Redlands, California.

"He had very light Paul Newman blue eyes that you just couldn't pull away

from him," another firefighter said. "He was the best dad in the world he

could be ...

Paul Newman Eyes? reminds me of the song "Dickie Davis Eyes" by Half Man Half Biscuit

Just got this quote from an article reporting the death of Fire Engineer Eddie Keen in Redlands, California.

could be ...

Paul Newman Eyes? reminds me of the song "Dickie Davis Eyes" by Half Man Half Biscuit

Gary Gilmore's Eyes by The Adverts?

could be ...

Gary Gilmore's Eyes by The Adverts?

Bette Davies eyes by Kim Carnes?

I think "Dead Eyes Opened" by Severed Heads is a better choice.

I think "Dead Eyes Opened" by Severed Heads is a better choice.

I think

, is an even better choice. For what, I forget.