Death in Vegas

Time Added

Jergé Hoefdraad, a winger whose career was spent moving around smaller to medium-sized Dutch clubs, but always returning to Almere City, was shot and killed yesterday.

The 35-year-old spent his youth career at FC Abcoude then the giants AFC Ajax, before moving to RKC Waalwijk, where he made his professional debut.

After leaving Waalwijk, he joined Almere City, whom he would play for 153 times across three spells from 2009-2011, 2013-15 and lastly from 2017-2019.

Perhaps his best stint as a player, however, was at Cambuur Leeuwarden, whom he played for between his second and third spells at Almere - scoring six goals and assisting 21 in 51 matches.

His other club in his playing career was a two-year stint at SC Telstar between 2011 and 2013.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MarcJWallace said:

Jergé Hoefdraad, a winger whose career was spent moving around smaller to medium-sized Dutch clubs, but always returning to Almere City, was shot and killed yesterday.

The 35-year-old spent his youth career at FC Abcoude then the giants AFC Ajax, before moving to RKC Waalwijk, where he made his professional debut.

After leaving Waalwijk, he joined Almere City, whom he would play for 153 times across three spells from 2009-2011, 2013-15 and lastly from 2017-2019.

Perhaps his best stint as a player, however, was at Cambuur Leeuwarden, whom he played for between his second and third spells at Almere - scoring six goals and assisting 21 in 51 matches.

His other club in his playing career was a two-year stint at SC Telstar between 2011 and 2013.

He is alive.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, drol said:

He is dead

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, time said:

Is he dead?

Nope, even though he and Blatter look like reanimated corpses.

On 08/02/2007 at 11:19, Death in Vegas said:

There are also a number of famous ex managers who are getting on a bit. Bobby Robson's health problems are well documented, Mario Zagallo is well into his seventies and has suffered from an irregular heart-beat in the past, and it will surely only be a matter of time until Cesar Luis Menotti is diagnosed with lung cancer.

Mario Zagallo is 90 today! :birthday:

• Like 1

Franck Berrier, a former French footballer has died aged 37. He retired from playing a couple of years ago because of a heart condition, and subsequently died as a result of a cardiac arrest while playing tennis.

• Like 1

José Yudica, the manager of Argentinos Juniors when they won the league and Copa Libertadores in 1985 has died aged 85.

He also won the Argentine title with Newell's Old Boys in 1988, he was succeeded in this post by Marcelo Bielsa in 1990.

As a player, he won four caps for Argentina - scoring one goal and also scored 20 goals in 65 games for Boca Juniors between 1959 and 1961.

• Like 1

Oldest living football player, Arthur Hoyle Smith, died on the 21st, according to the Bury Times. Link is not loading for me, but Google knows. 

This seems like a copy/paste job of the original obit:

https://sayarimedia.com/2021/08/arthur-smith-bury-times.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=arthur-smith-bury-times

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Who's now the oldest living footballer?

EDIT: there is a dedicated thread, don't answer.

3 minutes ago, drol said:

Who's now the oldest living footballer?

EDIT: there is a dedicated thread, don't answer.

The dedicated thread really only discusses players from Britain though. The oldest person on that list is William Simpson (b. 1919).

But there must be an older player somewhere else in the world. 

• Thanks 1

I'd be very surprised if the oldest player in the world wasn't from the UK being as that's where the earliest leagues were codified. Wikipedia has no pages for any footballers older than William Simpson listed as still living (actually that's a lie: it has Eugen Rupf still living at 107, but he's listed as dying in 2000 on other language versions of Wikipedia and I'm sure if he was still alive something would have been made of it in the Swiss media).

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I'd be very surprised if the oldest player in the world wasn't from the UK being as that's where the earliest leagues were codified. Wikipedia has no pages for any footballers older than William Simpson listed as still living (actually that's a lie: it has Eugen Rupf still living at 107, but he's listed as dying in 2000 on other language versions of Wikipedia and I'm sure if he was still alive something would have been made of it in the Swiss media).

Yes, there seems to be a consensus on the year of death 2000:

https://www.transfermarkt.de/eugen-rupf/profil/spieler/588940 (big german language football site)

https://www.dbfcz.ch/spieler.php?spieler_id=13044 (something swiss)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The dedicated thread really only discusses players from Britain though. The oldest person on that list is William Simpson (b. 1919).

But there must be an older player somewhere else in the world. 

Maybe it's better in that thread, but I think William Simpson died in late 2019 or 2020 but can't check the GRO.

I suspect the oldest is 101 year old Graham Bailey but in the oldest footballers thread I seem to recall a Spanish ex Barcelona player who was either 100 or 101 recently.

Edit - https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/club/news/976331/barcas-oldest-former-player?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fc barcelona&utm_campaign=262bcf0e-0825-4894-90b9-df375f2fd517

102 years old so he's Drol's man.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Maybe it's better in that thread, but I think William Simpson died in late 2019 or 2020 but can't check the GRO.

I suspect the oldest is 101 year old Graham Bailey but in the oldest footballers thread I seem to recall a Spanish ex Barcelona player who was either 100 or 101 recently.

Edit - https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/club/news/976331/barcas-oldest-former-player?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fc barcelona&utm_campaign=262bcf0e-0825-4894-90b9-df375f2fd517

102 years old so he's Drol's man.

According to Twitter he turned 105 years old in May. That Twitter is from the Barcelona Players' Association which looks after ex-players of the club so I think it seems valid.

• Like 3

Former Arsenal youth team prospect Sam Oji, who floated around the non-league and League of Ireland later in his career, dead at 35. I remember him solely because he was the cousin of early 2000s R&B icon Lemar.

• Like 1

Sam Oji: Former Birmingham City defender and Arsenal youth player dies at age 35 - BBC Sport

Oji had a spell at my club, Hednesford Town , a couple of years back and everyone was unanimous in saying what a nice guy he was. Not clear what happened to him, but 35 is no age. RIP

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Jean-Pierre Adams, of French national team and PSG fame, has finally died after 39 years in a coma.

39 years???!! And due to an operation that went wrong...horrible way to die.

Must be one of the longest times someone has been in coma. Former record holder Elaine Esposito was in coma for 37 years until her death in 1978, Edwarda O'Bara and Aruna Shanbaug both for 42 years.