Death in Vegas

Time Added

Naoki Matsuda, who played for Japan at the 2002 World Cup, is "extremely critical" after suffering cardiac arrest.
  • Like 1

Naoki Matsuda, who played for Japan at the 2002 World Cup, is "extremely critical" after suffering cardiac arrest.

And not a few hours later he's dead.

The third player (who appeared in a game) from the 2002 World Cup to be dead, and we're not even 10 years in.

Recent World Cup's:

2006: 1; Tchangai (Togo)

2002; 3; Lekgetho (South Africa), Matsuda (Japan), Foe (Cameroon)

1998: 3; Cargill, Malcolm (Jamaica), Cornejo (Chile)

1994; 4; Escobar and Gaviria (Colombia), Castillo (Bolivia), Foe (Cameroon)

1990; 4; Klein (Romania), Escobar (Colombia), Glatzmeyer (Austria), Clijsters (Belgium)

Then, as suspected it shoots up a bit after 21 years;

1986: 9; Cooper (Scotland), Hakim (Iraq), Bento, Damas and Antonio (Portugal), Scirea (Italy), Eriksen (Denmark), Clijsters (Belgium), Cuciuffo (Argentina)

1982: 7; Juanito (Spain), Daraselia (USSR), Drummond (Honduras), Dirceu (Brazil), Brotherston (N.Ireland), Scirea (Italy), Coeck (Belgium)

1978; 19; Torok, Kocsis and Peicani (Hungary), Pepi (France), Toninho, Dirceu, Mendoca and Chicao (Brazil), Pezzey and Happich (Austria), R Rojas (Peru), Nejazi (Iran), Scirea (Italy), Russmann (Germany), Akid (Tunisia), Juanito and Migueli (Spain), Deyna and Mazur (Poland)

On the flip side of the coin, after the death of Juan Tunas, there are no survivor players of the first 3 World Cup's in the 1930's, though French squad member Rene Llense is still alive from the 1934 World Cup.

German football player Fritz Korbach, best known as a manager in the Netherlands, died today from laryngeal cancer, aged 66.

m1ezsi3avtc9.jpg

regards,

Hein

Mark Ovendale, 37, former Northampton, Luton, York and Bournemouth goalkeeper, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. There is nothing more doctors can do for him and he is now in hospice care.

Mark Ovendale, 37, former Northampton, Luton, York and Bournemouth goalkeeper, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. There is nothing more doctors can do for him and he is now in hospice care.

He was in goal the first time I ever went to watch the Cobblers. Confirmation that my youth is done.

Oh, how dreadful. I remember him at Luton - pretty steady keeper in the lower leagues.

Oh, how dreadful. I remember him at Luton - pretty steady keeper in the lower leagues.

Mark Ovendale died this morning. :unsure:

Bernard Gallagher (or possibly Bernard Gallacher)

The former Aston Villa full-back has died aged 45 (or 44)

Blimey, first Ovendale, now Gallagher. I well remember that Aston Villa team - Reading were at the other end trying (and failing) to stay up. It was a good team that pretty much set them up for stability in the 1st Division - Platt, Allan Evans, Birch (mentioned in that article), Gallagher et al.

Sad news. :unsure:

Although in one good bit of news, Bryan Robson appears to have got the cancer all-clear according to the Daily Mail and Mirror a few days bacl

1950s Liverpool centre half Laurie Hughes has died aged 87. Bert Williams, Tom Finney and Roy Bentley are now the only remaining members of England's 1950 World Cup squad.

Former Swiss Captain Robert Ballaman, scorer of two goals in the Swiss defeat by Austria in a 7-5 thriller in the 1956 world cup quarter final, has died aged 85.

I'm indebted to wikipedia for informing me that the referee was one Mr Faultless, from Scotland.

Former Swiss Captain Robert Ballaman, scorer of two goals in the Swiss defeat by Austria in a 7-5 thriller in the 1956 world cup quarter final, has died aged 85.

56? Don't you mean '54?

Yes.

[Captain Mainwaring]

Well done OoO, I was waiting to see who'd spot that first.

[/Captain Mainwaring]

I suspect this error was caused by the digits 4 and 6 both being adjacent to 5, rather than me not being able to read a headline.

Theyab Awana who scored a famous back heel penalty has been killed in a road accident

Chus Pereda, who did much to help Spain win the 1964 European Championship on home soil, has died of cancer at 73.

Accrington cup tie abandoned after player suffers serious head injury

A serious head injury to Tom Bender has forced the abandonment of the Accrington Stanley and Tranmere cup tie in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Tom Bender

A hospital scan indicated Bender had escaped serious injury but he was kept in overnight for observation.

A relieved Accrington chief executive Rob Heys said: "I have been to the hospital. Tom is now conscious, he has been for a scan which has come back as normal.

"He has severe concussion and will be kept in overnight for observation but is expected to make a full recovery."

So, not as bad as it could have been.

Hungarian goalkeeper Gyula Grosics, 85, is recovering in hospital after falling down an escalator. He was part of the "Magical Magyars" team that destroyed England at Wembley in 1953.

• Like 1