chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

Yaddah yaddah subjective lists...

1967: Che Guevara (significant by death, not by being)****

...list continues...

**** He is only famous today because of his death on young age

Bollocks. IMHO I think his legacy extends a bit further than "THAT" photo, destined to adorn student bedrooms from then to forever. Especially in South America. They often take their heros to heart and their military figures too. Just as several of these countries have public holidays in honour of General San Martin, Simón Bolívar et al, to celebrate their liberation from the Spanish I think perhaps we would have seen a "Che Guevara day" if he had been successful in liberating their countries from the oppression of infamous dictatorships. Whether or not you believe his viewpoint that capitalism is at fault for economic inequalities and that a global (and violent) revolution would be the best way to instigate social reforms, his heart was in the right place. Leaders of powerful nations seem to come and go, all promising a better life, to resolve some of the world's problems and to live as one yet we still hear of third world debt, famine, disease, war... He may have tried and failed, but at least he tried.

You can chose to ignore this post, it is after all subjective twaddle, I for one think most politicians are a crock of sh*t and my objective when I vote is to chose who I might think to be the best of the worst. They're there to tax us and keep us in line, everything else is a bonus.

Here's my list:

2008: Tony Snow (Thus far)

2007: Luciano Pavarotti

2006: Saddam Hussein

2005: Pope John Paul II

2004: Ronald Reagan

2003: Bob Hope

2002: The Queen Mother

2001: William Hanna

2000: Barbara Cartland

1999: Victor Mature

1998: Frank Sinatra

1997: The Notorious B.I.G.

1996: Tupac Shakur

1995: Dean Martin

1994: Richard Nixon

1993: Audrey Hepburn

1992: Marlene Dietrich

1991: Freddie Mercury

1990: Jim Henson

1989: Mel Blanc

1988: Brook Benton

1987: Andy Warhol

1986: Cary Grant

1985: Rick Nelson

1984: Richard Burton

1983: Karen Carpenter

1982: Grace Kelly

1981: Natalie Wood

1980: Bon Scott

1979: John Wayne

1978: Pope Paul VI

1977: Elvis Presley

1976: Rosalind Russell

1975: Josephine Baker

1974: Juan Peron

1973: Jim Croce

1972: Harry S. Truman

1971: Nikita Khrushchev

1970: Jimi Hendrix

1969: Dwight D. Eisenhower

1968: Martin Luther King

1967: Che Guevara

1966: Walt Disney

1965: Winston Churchill

1964: Herbert Hoover

1963: John F. Kennedy

1962: Marylin Monroe

1961: Ernest Hemingway

1960: Boris Pasternak

1959: Buddy Holly

1958: Pius XII

Here's my list:

2008: Tony Snow (Thus far)

2007: Luciano Pavarotti

2006: Saddam Hussein

2002: The Queen Mother

2001: William Hanna

2000: Barbara Cartland

1999: Victor Mature

1997: The Notorious B.I.G.

1996: Tupac Shakur

1995: Dean Martin

1994: Richard Nixon

1992: Marlene Dietrich

1991: Freddie Mercury

1989: Mel Blanc

1988: Brook Benton

1987: Andy Warhol

1986: Cary Grant

1985: Rick Nelson

1984: Richard Burton

1983: Karen Carpenter

1982: Grace Kelly

1981: Natalie Wood

1980: Bon Scott

1979: John Wayne

1978: Pope Paul VI

1977: Elvis Presley

1976: Rosalind Russell

1975: Josephine Baker

1974: Juan Peron

1973: Jim Croce

1972: Harry S. Truman

1971: Nikita Khrushchev

1970: Jimi Hendrix

1969: Dwight D. Eisenhower

1968: Martin Luther King

1967: Che Guevara

1966: Walt Disney

1965: Winston Churchill

1964: Herbert Hoover

1963: John F. Kennedy

1962: Marylin Monroe

1961: Ernest Hemingway

1960: Boris Pasternak

1959: Buddy Holly

1958: Pius XII

2008: Paul Newman (by far)

Here are some of my choices:

2007: Benazir Bhutto

2006: Gerald Ford

1999: John F. Kennedy, Jr.

1997: Princess Diana

Guest The Holly Trinity
SNIP

2008: Paul Newman (by far)

Here are some of my choices:

Well that's clearly closed this theory of threes, Newman, Heston and, of course, Rigby.

Was Newman a more significant death than Heston? He was more likeable, sure, because of the roles he played, his lifetime of fidelity when he could have played away every night out, and the fact he didn't worship guns.

They both won Best Actor Oscar, but Heston's was for Ben Hur, one of the biggest movies ever, while Newman's was for The Color of Money, and seemed to be more of a "great career" Oscar rather than for a particularly memorable performance. Charlts was in The Ten Commandments, Airport '75 and a couple of Planet of the Apes films. Newman was in The Sting, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, and Towering Inferno. Newman's post-acting career featured salad dressing and race car driving, Heston's was guns.

It's close, but on balance I'd agree and say Newman's career, and life, was better.

Was Newman a more significant death than Heston? He was more likeable, sure, because of the roles he played, his lifetime of fidelity when he could have played away every night out, and the fact he didn't worship guns.

They both won Best Actor Oscar, but Heston's was for Ben Hur, one of the biggest movies ever, while Newman's was for The Color of Money, and seemed to be more of a "great career" Oscar rather than for a particularly memorable performance. Charlts was in The Ten Commandments, Airport '75 and a couple of Planet of the Apes films. Newman was in The Sting, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, and Towering Inferno. Newman's post-acting career featured salad dressing and race car driving, Heston's was guns.

It's close, but on balance I'd agree and say Newman's career, and life, was better.

And some; I wouldn't call it close at all. Heston featured in some big films but he was pretty stiff. He didn't have that "one of the boys" male charm that Newman had. Take away the chariot scene and Ben Hur was pretty dull. Towering Inferno wasn't great but some of Newman's earlier films like The Hustler and Cool Hand Luke were great performances. He was a real star. On the other hand Heston was in Soylent Green....

If Kim Jong-il dies this year (and if the reports are true, then that's likely the case), do you think he will be the most significant person to have died in 2008? Even moreso than Paul Newman?

What if Elizabeth Taylor dies this year? Perhaps 2008 would have a three way tie for most significant death that year...

For all you non-Americans, would you consider either Alexy II or Edmund Hillary to be a more significant death in 2008 than Paul Newman?

For all you non-Americans, would you consider either Alexy II or Edmund Hillary to be a more significant death in 2008 than Paul Newman?

Although virtually unknown in life, Alexandros Grigoropoulos's death was arguably more significant than that of an old, famous actor.

Although virtually unknown in life, Alexandros Grigoropoulos's death was arguably more significant than that of an old, famous actor.

Depends if Obama has any plans to visit Alabama between now and the 31st.

No it wasn't.

We were talking about this in the pub the other night. My mate Tzung, who is a Sherpa was most definitely of the opinion that Hilary's death was the most significant. Then his buddy Dmitri, who is a Russian Orthodox priest arrived for a pint of mild, he was mourning Patriarch Alexius and it is his firmly held view that his death is the most noteworthy thing that has happened this year. They were still arguing about it when I went home to watch Cool Hand Luke.

Personally I think the most significant death of the year was Janez Drnovsek's. If he'd survived and prospered, he might have saved the world.

They were still arguing about it when I went home to watch Cool Hand Luke.

How does the priest argue about "the most significant" death? I can vision this debate as material Larry David would use for his show. "Dmitri had become so overwhelmed that he began tossing chairs and screaming angry words" .. "everyone stared at Dmitri"

That's right, it's so crazy it could even be fiction!

They were still arguing about it when I went home to watch Cool Hand Luke.

How does the priest argue about "the most significant" death? I can vision this debate as material Larry David would use for his show. "Dmitri had become so overwhelmed that he began tossing chairs and screaming angry words" .. "everyone stared at Dmitri"

Heres a few you may forgotten

1969 Judy Garland

1985 Wilfred Brambell

1984 Leonard Rossiter

We were talking about this in the pub the other night. My mate Tzung, who is a Sherpa was most definitely of the opinion that Hilary's death was the most significant. Then his buddy Dmitri, who is a Russian Orthodox priest arrived for a pint of mild, he was mourning Patriarch Alexius and it is his firmly held view that his death is the most noteworthy thing that has happened this year. They were still arguing about it when I went home to watch Cool Hand Luke.

Personally I think the most significant death of the year was Janez Drnovsek's. If he'd survived and prospered, he might have saved the world.

Janez is a very intriguing choice. He was the President of Slovenia at the time of his death. A significant political figure in Europe and internationally.

I can see why most non-Americans would consider Alexy II and Edmund Hillary to be more significant than Paul Newman. They would argue that what Alexy II and Edmund Hillary did were revolutionary and had a truly meaningful impact on society. On the other hand, Paul Newman was "just" an actor. of course, these people forget that Newman was also a successful entrepreneur and a humanitarian who ran several charities and had a very successful business.

To continue this debate, I would like to throw another name as a possible candidate for most significant death of 2008: George Carlin. Carlin shaped and influenced modern stand-up comedy. He was the bridge between the old and the new. Comedy today wouldn't be where it is without Carlin's acerbic insights into society.

Paul Newman, I'm about your biggest fan ever. I think you're the man.

However, Mark Felt just died and he could easily challenge Newman as the most significant death of 2008. For cryin' out loud, Mark Felt pretty much single-handedly brought down the entire Nixon presidency. As cool as Paul Newman is, he was not responsible for exposing and bringing down a corrupt US President.

So now i'm wrestling with the decision here as to who should be designated Most Significant Death of 2008.

As cool as Paul Newman is, he was not responsible for exposing and bringing down a corrupt US President.

Nixon wasn't that bad. I can sympathise with him. :(

Probably because I, like him, am a narcissistic loner who lacks charisma.

Besides, the only difference between the Nixon Presidency and all the rest of them is that he was just unlucky enough to get caught.

As far as Felt being the most significant death of 2008, you have to ask what effect did Watergate have? Yes, it caused a US President to resign from office for the first time in history. But the only other things to happen as a direct result of Watergate was the Ford Presidency and the Carter Presidency. Did anything significant happen in those years? <_<:lol:

2008: Harold Pinter. One of the 20th century's most important dramatists, as well as being a great thinker and activist. Hell, he even has his own adjective in the dictionary.

I await the shitstorm of Newman protests. Yeah, he was a good actor.

2008: Harold Pinter. One of the 20th century's most important dramatists, as well as being a great thinker and activist. Hell, he even has his own adjective in the dictionary.

I have to respectfully disagree. Few individuals, let alone actors, have reached the iconic status Paul Newman has achieved.

With that said, Harold Pinter is certainly one of the most influential dramatists of the last century. I would say next to Paul Newman, Harold Pinter was the most significant death of 2008 (others I thought were truly significant who passed away in 2008, based on objective observations and not my personal feelings, include George Carlin, Alexy II, Mark Felt, Edmund Hillary, and Suharto).

Anyway, here's my update of most significant deaths from 1990 to 2008.

2008: Paul Newman

2002: Queen Mother

2001: Victims of 9/11

2000: Charles Schultz (slow year for celebrity deaths)

1996: George Burns

1995: Yitzak Rabin

1994: Richard M. Nixon

1992: Isaac Asimov (slow year for celebrity deaths)

1991: Dr. Seuss

It should be Heston then Newman...Pinter is like 10th. While I know his work, most people in the US don't even know who he is. A playright? in 2008? What percentage of people have any exposure to him? Even Edmund Hillary is a better pick.

I have to respectfully disagree. Few individuals, let alone actors, have reached the iconic status Paul Newman has achieved.

With that said, Harold Pinter is certainly one of the most influential dramatists of the last century. I would say next to Paul Newman, Harold Pinter was the most significant death of 2008 (others I thought were truly significant who passed away in 2008, based on objective observations and not my personal feelings, include George Carlin, Alexy II, Mark Felt, Edmund Hillary, and Suharto).

Part of the reason why I picked Newman over Pinter is precisely the reality that Pinter isn't that well known in the states. People probably have seen his movies or viewed his plays, but most people probably don't know him by name.

Hell, most people in the US don't really know Edmund Hillary by name.

Admittedly, my views are very American-centric, but of all the celebrities who passed away last year, Paul Newman was probably the most significant. I would still place George Carlin second and Charlton Heston third. All three are iconic symbols of American culture.

It should be Heston then Newman...Pinter is like 10th. While I know his work, most people in the US don't even know who he is. A playright? in 2008? What percentage of people have any exposure to him? Even Edmund Hillary is a better pick.

After reading and re-reading this thread, I still don't understand why the death of an actor is 'significant'. He made films, that went on the telly, that people sit in front of and watch. He was just an actor. He didn't find a cure for cancer, or orchestrate world peace - those would be significant achievements, in my opinion. I don't understand how one can single out the 'most significant' death. And one man's 'significant death' is another's 'who the f**k is he?'

• Like 1