chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

Guest robo

I think prince is the biggest.

Yup. He wins 2016. For now.

Bowie was way bigger

Globally: David Bowie

In America: Prince

Personally: Antonin Scalia (I'm a political junkie)

• Like 1

Heh, better. Certainly beats the standard fare of "I knew this one best so it's the biggest by definition".

• Like 1

I hold firm that statistically over a 8 month period a more significant death must follow than Prince or Bowie, who top the stakes so far.

Similarly to how Thatcher was bested by Mandela back in 2013. We haven't really seen a global powerhouse type figure go and there's plenty lying in wait with George H.W Bush, Jimmy Carter, Michael Gorbachev, Robert Mugabe etc all old and in varying states of health.

I hold firm that statistically over a 8 month period a more significant death must follow than Prince or Bowie, who top the stakes so far.

Similarly to how Thatcher was bested by Mandela back in 2013. We haven't really seen a global powerhouse type figure go and there's plenty lying in wait with George H.W Bush, Jimmy Carter, Michael Gorbachev, Robert Mugabe etc all old and in varying states of health.

Yes, fairly certain at least 1 of those 4 will go, however:

Do old, former politicians top the legends of the music world?

Obama would top Bowie/Prince, but Bush? Carter? IDK.

• Like 1

Yes, fairly certain at least 1 of those 4 will go, however:

Do old, former politicians top the legends of the music world?

Obama would top Bowie/Prince, but Bush? Carter? IDK.

I would say yes, the impact Bush and Carter had on the world is far beyond the impact Bowie ever had. Yes, Bowie had cultural influence but Bush and Cater had social, political, economic, cultural and military influence on the world. Their footprints are far far greater.

None of them in your 'feelings someone will die?'

• Like 2

None of them in your 'feelings someone will die?'

I think Jimmy Carter might go within a month or two. Michael Gorbachev around September. Prince Philip, January next year.

Politicians v Musicians. Interesting. I suppose it depends on what you are using as a tape measure. You could of course throw actors into the mix as well.

If the yardstick is overall influence in a number of areas then all politicians and American presidents in particular probably trumps a few songs.

If, on the other hand your measure is the sheer numbers of people aware of their existence (ie. their 'celebrity'), I'd imagine more people knew who Bowie and maybe even Prince were than almost any politician.

Further, it might be argued that although their influence may be in one area only, they do have at least some influence on more people and over a greater length of time than politicians.

Then there's the pope...or the Queen of England who are none of these things.....

Anyone top Queen Victoria ?

2 US Presidents: Ben Harrison of old age, and incumbent William McKinley was assassinated.

So probably McKinley.

Also Toulouse-Lautrec, but who knows if people even knew who he was back then... most artists seem to be discovered after death.

No, I'm pretty sure she died of natural causes.

• Like 6

:D THAT is THE post of the day !! :D

• Like 1

Shit and I thought my cream pie one had it!

• Like 2

Shit and I thought my cream pie one had it!

I got the cream pie one, so that'll be my 2nd fave.. oh hang on it's nearly midnight here... you can have that one for Monday. :hatsoff:

Bowie and Prince are tied by my point of view. I just can't choose one. Both got the same amount of tributes and media attention. Bowie wins for Europe, Prince for America. Because these two set the highest standard this year, I'm not able to choose the 2nd and 3rd place and hardly a top 10....everyone else is just mediocre. I'll make my decision in December.

Guest R bottom

1949 Margaret Mitchel author "Gone With the Wind"; 1951 William Randolf Hearst publisher & inspiration for "Citizen Kane"

I think prince is the biggest.

Whilst he was more popular and (probably) more well known than Bowie in the USA, Bowie had a much bigger worldwide audience in my humble opinion.

And by worldwide you mean Europe.

I think RadGuy made the most sense saying they're of equal footing. But I promise most of Asia wouldn't know Bowie if he resurrected on the Great Wall but they bloody well are aware who Prince was.

SC

This thread was never about 'speculation' rather each person's pronouncement as to who they believed was the most significant. A discussion of Bowie v Prince (and anyone else deceased) is fine. Naming names of famous people who would be 'even bigger' is ridiculous; lets just List A Million Living People.

Hey wait....

[for the record, were Muhammad Ali to die, it would be bigger than Bowie+Prince+all remaining names on DL 50. Discussion over.]

SirC

• Like 1

Career album sales in Japan:

Prince: 300,000

David Bowie: 200,000

Earth Wind and Fire: 500,000

Clearly Maurice White was the biggest star to die this year globally.

• Like 3

Mariah Carey has sold 14.5m albums in her career in Japan, fwiw.

Another metric could be to compare Bowie and Prince's album sales if you remove the US and UK from the figures.

Bowie: 6.3m

Prince: 7.4m

(Taylor Swift: 13.2m, to put into these into perspective)

Really, there is absolutely no argument against Cruyff being the biggest death of the year in terms of global fame.

Mariah Carey has sold 14.5m albums in her career in Japan, fwiw.

Really?

Not just a small race then, tone deaf cunts too.

• Like 5