chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

Lard Bazaar, with all due respect, Paul Newman was not "just an actor." He was also a successful businessman and humanitarian. Besides, he was an international cultural icon.

Can Mark Felt, Alexy II, or Harold Pinter be considered international cultural icons? (Arguably, Edmund Hillary is a cultural icon in New Zealand and from my understanding, much of Europe, but in America, most people will ask "Who the heck is Edmund Hillary?")

With that said, you're not alone in your opinion. I've had this discussion with quite a few people, and many of them actually agree with you. They point out that Newman, like you say, is just an actor. One person I talked to felt that Edmund Hillary should be the most significant death of 2008 b/c he did something extraordinary that Newman could never do (which I conceded). Another person I talked to felt that Mark Felt should be the most significant death of 2008 b/c he essentially brought down an entire Presidential administration (Nixon). Again, I acknowledge that that's something extraordinary which has had a profound impact on society and forever changed the perception of American politicians. And I concede that Paul Newman could never do something like that.

And a couple of Europeans I know point out that Alexy II should be considered the most significant death of 2008. Because what Alexy II did had actual impact on a wide group of people.

Others whom people I talked to argue are more significant deaths than Paul Newman are Albert Hoffmann (!!!), the creator of LSD (not sure why anyone would pick him, but I guess they are into LSD and want to thank Hoffmann) and Dr. Michael E. DeBakey (he performed the very first heart transplant).

"Who the f**k is Paul Newman?" The only people I know who would actually ask this question are 12-year-olds who are into Miley Cyrus (yeah, THAT's talent, *sarcasm*).

I love this topic b/c I love the fact that people are challenging my opinion (and my honest general perception) that Paul Newman is the most important death of 2008.

Lard Bazaar, just curious, who do you think is the most significant death of 2008? Edumund Hillary, Mark Felt, Harold Pinter, Albert Hoffmann, Frances Pym, Alexy II, or someone else?

After reading and re-reading this thread, I still don't understand why the death of an actor is 'significant'. He made films, that went on the telly, that people sit in front of and watch. He was just an actor. He didn't find a cure for cancer, or orchestrate world peace - those would be significant achievements, in my opinion. I don't understand how one can single out the 'most significant' death. And one man's 'significant death' is another's 'who the f**k is he?'

Lard Bazaar, just curious, who do you think is the most significant death of 2008? Edumund Hillary, Mark Felt, Harold Pinter, Albert Hoffmann, Frances Pym, Alexy II, or someone else?

After reading and re-reading this thread, I still don't understand why the death of an actor is 'significant'. He made films, that went on the telly, that people sit in front of and watch. He was just an actor. He didn't find a cure for cancer, or orchestrate world peace - those would be significant achievements, in my opinion. I don't understand how one can single out the 'most significant' death. And one man's 'significant death' is another's 'who the f**k is he?'

I don't have a 'most significant' death, because, bizarrely and unbelievably, I don't take this game at all seriously, because that's what it is - a game! All this analysing of significant salad cream inventors this or significant king of remote island in the pacific that, it's all bollocks mate, I couldn't give a sh*t! When I hear of a death, I think 'oooo I wonder if they're on the list' - if they are, I let out a small celebratory yelp of satisfaction, and then it's back to my real life, because it's just a game.

But if you're going to force me to choose, it would have to be Abdul Latif.

Some people really have too much time on their hands.

Fair enough, Bazaar.

Personally, I cared more about this year b/c of the number of high profile celebrities who died which were popular among the youth (the twenthsomething) generation (Isaac Hayes, Newman, Heston, Bernie Mac, George Carlin, Tim Russert, Heath Ledger, etc.). Contrast that to 2007. I really didn't give two sh*ts b/c outside of Anna Nicole Smith, Luciano Pavoratti, Robert Goulet, and Benazir Bhutto, virtually all the celebs who died in 07 were unknown to me and my generation.

Then again, I remember one of my co-workers actually "mourning" the deaths of Albert Hoffmann and the guy who invented Egg McMuffin. I was thinking, "who the f*** cares?" (the fact that i don't remember the name of the guy who invented egg mcmuffins or even bothered to look up his name shows i really don't give a f*** about him).

I don't have a 'most significant' death, because, bizarrely and unbelievably, I don't take this game at all seriously, because that's what it is - a game! All this analysing of significant salad cream inventors this or significant king of remote island in the pacific that, it's all bollocks mate, I couldn't give a sh*t! When I hear of a death, I think 'oooo I wonder if they're on the list' - if they are, I let out a small celebratory yelp of satisfaction, and then it's back to my real life, because it's just a game.

But if you're going to force me to choose, it would have to be Abdul Latif.

Some people really have too much time on their hands.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not going to coment on who the most significant death has been globally this year as that seems very prescriptive . My most significant death this year was probably my ex colleague who killed herself on my birthday. As for celebrities, the death closest to my heart was that of Adrian Mitchell. He wouldn't be known at all in the US (though why Americans think a person has to be known there to be imprtant is beyond me) and even if he were he'd be dismissed as a loony leftie, but I spent an enjoyable evening in his company and found him witty, genuine, warm and entertaining. The next most significant for me and probably for a lot of Brits my age would be a close run thing between Humph and Oliver Postgate (note the number of Postgate related avatars that sprung up after his death, can't remember seeing any Tim Russett avatars.)

Now the death that got most of my colleagues talking wasn't Newman or Heston or even Ledger, it was good old Captain Birdseye.

Facts are facts, the average American knows little of the world outside of the USA.

Thats fair enough, the country is utterly vast BUT its makes being objective in "Who is the most significant death" a tad difficult.

Paul Newman was a successful Businessman and Humanitarian because he was a FAMOUS and VERY RICH actor.

His name opened doors and his interests outside of his profession were made somewhat easier because it was Paul Newman driving the Bus, not John Doe.

Significance is down to who they are to you, how you relate to them and what they were.

I would say that IF Jady Goody was to peg it before the end of this year, it would be far more a significant death to the average Brit than Paul Newman was.

Which goes to prove the point that you can be a complete cretin and be more famous than a Great actor, humanitarian and businessman.

Now, you see, significance can be triggered by any number of things.

I am going to vote for Jack Douglas (Carry On films actor), and the reason for this is because his death had escaped me until I did some 11th hour DDP research at lunchtime and got all disappointed.

So, the fact that I was shocked to find he had shuffled off without letting me know is significant in my opinion.

DWB :rolleyes:

I would like to venture the opinion that there has been no significant death in 2008. Just as in the Leeds piano competition they don't award a 1st prize every time, I think 2008 should have a blank left next to its name.

If Benazir Bhutto had died a few days later... if the most famous president of the 4th most populous country in the world had had a bigger international impact (Sueharto) ... if there had been a REALLY famous acting death (Brando, De Niro, Cruise) ...

But there wasn't, and unless Prince Charles chokes on a walnut on New Years Eve, 2008 is destined to remain forgotten.

If we have to choose one, I would nominate Lady Gertrude Bliss. As I'm unlikely ever again to have a joker / unique pick combination on DDP.

2008 will be best known as the year the economy went down the toilet...

For me:

2001 : Aaliyah

2002: Lisa Left Eye Lopes / Queen Mother

2003 : Laura Sadler

2004: John Peel

2005 : Richard Whitley

2006 : Steve Irwin

2007 : Mike Reid

2008 : Heath Ledger

Facts are facts, the average American knows little of the world outside of the USA.

Thats fair enough, the country is utterly vast BUT its makes being objective in "Who is the most significant death" a tad difficult.

Paul Newman was a successful Businessman and Humanitarian because he was a FAMOUS and VERY RICH actor.

His name opened doors and his interests outside of his profession were made somewhat easier because it was Paul Newman driving the Bus, not John Doe.

Significance is down to who they are to you, how you relate to them and what they were.

I would say that IF Jady Goody was to peg it before the end of this year, it would be far more a significant death to the average Brit than Paul Newman was.

Which goes to prove the point that you can be a complete cretin and be more famous than a Great actor, humanitarian and businessman.

We should make a rule that if Clive Dunn ever dies then he automaticly is named the most significant death for that year. Although I don't believe that it will ever happen.

Actually, forget what I said before. I have a contender for most significant (i'm growing to hate that word) death of the year.

It's Marie Smith Jones. With her a death a whole language and culture died, a language we'll never hear spoken by a native speaker again, now that, my friend is what I call significant. Oh and she's American by the way, so I don't want to hear any of of that "not known outside the US" crap. You should know about this sort of stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Smith

Actually, forget what I said before. I have a contender for most significant (i'm growing to hate that word) death of the year.

It's Marie Smith Jones. With her a death a whole language and culture died, a language we'll never hear spoken by a native speaker again, now that, my friend is what I call significant. Oh and she's American by the way, so I don't want to hear any of of that "not known outside the US" crap. You should know about this sort of stuff.

Quote fromWikipedia: "Jones became politically active, and on two occasions she spoke at the United Nations on the issues of peace and indigenous languages."

Those speeches to the UN were productive (for the dead language)....NOT*

* added for our US amigos who may not recognise** irony with the obligatory, delayed "NOT".

** Whoops, me and my use of English.....I should have mistyped "recognize". (Hope this helps.)

Quote fromWikipedia: "Jones became politically active, and on two occasions she spoke at the United Nations on the issues of peace and indigenous languages."

Those speeches to the UN were productive (for the dead language)....NOT*

* added for our US amigos who may not recognise irony with the obligatory, delayed "NOT".

She didn't have a very good track record at the UN; her talk on peace appears to have gone down like a lead balloon too.

I don't believe in this "most significant death" bullshit at all, but I do love adding fuel to the fire. In this case, TCM has released its latest tribute to actors who have died this year, and they usually save their last two spots for "most significant" female and male death this year. This year, that honour went to Anita Page and Paul Newman.

By the way, the above link is the second version, where they gave Roberta Collins the boot for Van Johnson. For the couple of actors who died later in the year than he, who may be argued eligible for the video (Sam Bottoms, Majel Barrett, Harold Pinter, Eartha Kitt) As they tend to focus on those with mainly film careers, there's a good chance that those last three will probably be left off.

At least they didn't cop out and put f*****g Heath Ledger in the final spot. My respect for them is maintained. Did have the unfortunate effect of reminding me that Michael Crichton was dead though.

As an antidote to all this seriousness, here's a lighthearted look at some of the less reported deaths of 2008. Warning, link contains a picture of an old person eating

http://www.cracked.com/article_16926_where...eaths-2008.html

Another article with the topic: http://www.sarahconradofeaglecreek.com/les...own%202008.html

Has many more names listed, but in less detail. Some interesting ones are listed, although I wouldn't call Roy Scheider "lesser known."

As an antidote to all this seriousness, here's a lighthearted look at some of the less reported deaths of 2008. Warning, link contains a picture of an old person eating

http://www.cracked.com/article_16926_where...eaths-2008.html

Another article with the topic: http://www.sarahconradofeaglecreek.com/les...own%202008.html

Has many more names listed, but in less detail. Some interesting ones are listed, although I wouldn't call Roy Scheider "lesser known."

Overlooked and Underappreciated: Top 10 Celebrity Deaths of 2008 Ignored by the Media

Christopher Allport: TV actor and leading man of B-movie cinema. I will never forget him for his memorable role as the heroic sheriff in the cult classic Jack Frost (no, not the shitty Michael Keaton version).

Julius Carry: Sho'nuff from The Last Dragon! One of the most memorable screen villians of the 80s. Carry was also fantastic as Bruce Campbell's sidekick in the TV series The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Lilyan Chauvin: Memorable as the queen bitch Mother Superior in Silent Night, Deadly Night, Chauvin had a long career in films and television.

Roberta Collins: Mathilda the Hun in Death Race 2000! A sexy siren of 70s exploitation cinema.

Paul Davis (singer): Because he sang one of my favorite made-out songs, "I Go Crazy." Yes, I got laid to this song once. TMI, I admit.

Robert DoQui: Sgt. Reed in the RoboCop films! Another sentimental favorite of mine died unexpectedly in 2008. DoQui had a distinguished career in cinema. Besides the RoboCop films, he also was memorable in Miracle Mile and Coffy.

Danny Federici: Founding member and key component of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. Died too young, but I thank Federici for being Bruce Springsteen's rock during his legendary music career.

Rudy Ray Moore: Dolemite! Who can forget the guy who made pimpin' cool and hilarious.

Cirio H. Santiago: One of my all-time favorite B-movie filmmakers. I had many fond memories watching his crappy post-apocalyptic Mad Max rip-offs. His films were full of boobs, blood, explosions, car chases, and cheesy special effects.

Tiffany Sloan: One of the only Playboy Playmates to have her own feature video centerfold. A beautiful girl next door with stunning blonde looks, Tiffany was the epitome of the 90s dreamgirl. She died tragically at a very young age, reportedly of a drug overdose.

Let me state the obvious.

2009 Michael Jackson

One of the top three deaths of the entire decade I would say behind Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan.

2009 Michael Jackson

One of the top three deaths of the entire decade I would say behind Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan.

Depends on your view on 'significant' - JP2 and RR were expected, so I wouldn'd class them as significant deaths. MJ's certainly wasn't expected, and I wold probably class that one as significant.

Three Four significants in one post. Howzat Mono?

2009 Michael Jackson

Depends on your view on 'significant' - JP2 and RR were expected, so I wouldn'd class them as significant deaths. MJ's certainly wasn't expected, and I wold probably class that one as significant.

Jade Goody, now that's what I call significant. A significant improvement to the gene pool? Let's hope for the sake of her kids nurture over nature works eh?

2009 Michael Jackson

Depends on your view on 'significant' - JP2 and RR were expected, so I wouldn'd class them as significant deaths. MJ's certainly wasn't expected, and I would probably class that one as significant.

By you maybe, I picked him and I guess there were lots of hits on the DDP so I would say it was reasonably expected. A freak with all of his significant work behind him, no major loss if you ask me (which I know you didn't).

Fair point SBD and whilst hardly predictable down to a window of opportunity, Jacko wasn't a massive surprise. I posted something ages back suggesting I couldn't imagine him as an old man and I know others expressed the same idea. It'd be pretty much the same - for example - if we woke up tomorrow and heard the announcement Gazza had gone.

2009 Michael Jackson

Depends on your view on 'significant' - JP2 and RR were expected, so I wouldn'd class them as significant deaths. MJ's certainly wasn't expected, and I would probably class that one as significant.

By you maybe, I picked him and I guess there were lots of hits on the DDP so I would say it was reasonably expected. A freak with all of his significant work behind him, no major loss if you ask me (which I know you didn't).

I've said this to people and I'll say it here, Michael Jackson's death was a shock but not a surprise...

Michael Jackson's death is easily the most significant of 2009.

Some might argue he's the most significant death of this decade.

of course, the only other possibilities I could think of that (may) top MJ's death in terms of significance are Steve Jobs and Ted Kennedy. Steve Jobs practically transformed technology and the computer industry. Although he appears to be on the mend right now, if he were to suddenly fall ill and die this year, many computer geeks, nerds, and "highly educated" snobs would argue that Jobs's death is much more significant b/c his impact was much deeper while they will dismiss MJ as just "some entertainer."

if Ted Kennedy dies this year, many would probably argue his death is more significant than MJ's simply b/c he's been such a prominent and influential politician for decades who shaped the law and public policy.