Guest Amo

Wrestlers/actors

Not a WWF/WWE wrestler but a proper British (well Aussie) wrestler, the appropriately named Dr. Death, Paul Lincoln, has died aged 80-something.

Apparently he was also (sort of) responsible for inflicting Cliff RIchard on us.

• Like 1

Paul Orndorff has cancer.

According to the WON, this is a treatable form of throat cancer.

Paul Orndorff has cancer.

According to the WON, this is a treatable form of throat cancer.

still worth mentioning, tho. :skull:

Perhaps Mae Young's time will finally run out this year, just how will WWE cope without her ageless in-ring ability or side-splitting comedy segments?

On a non-WWE note, noticed that Mick McManus turned 83 the other day, one to keep an eye on. Perhaps there should be a seperate thread for vintage British wrestlers from the World of Sport era. Though many are no longer with us (Big Daddy, Johnny Kwango, Giant Haystacks, Les Kellett and Jackie Pallo all having passed on) there must a few old-timers populating nursing homes throughout the land.

By request...

He's already dead, but did you know Kent Walton was the producer of a bunch of sexploitation films in the 70s? Kinda weird to think the same guy that commentated on so many brave performances by Johnny Kwango is the same man who produced 1972's "Lesbian Twins".

Anyway, Kent Walton's dead. So is Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, my personal favourite farming nutcase Les Kellett, Bomber Roach, "Judo"/"Lord" Alfred Hayes, "Dr Death" Paul Lincoln, Mike Marino, King Kong Kirk, Brian Glover, Gorgeous George, Jackie Pallo (my mum used to think he was arrogant).... the list goes on.

Mick McManus turns 83 this year and I believe he still attends wrestler conventions as well as working in the world of antiques. "Exotic" Adrian Street has had both a heart attack and a run-in with cancer in the past few years, and lives in Florida. "Crybaby" Jim Breaks has retired with all the old British crooks to Gran Canaria, "Dynamite Kid" Tom Billington, as mentioned in the WWF/E thread, is an embittered cripple living off disability benefit in a Manchester council house, and Kendo Nagasaki is still absolutely fucking batshit insane, best illustrated by this story about him trying to tear a tree down a decade ago.

That's off the top of my head, anyway.

Anyone know the whereabouts of Skull Murphy nowadays? I remember reading a letter in Power Slam years ago from someone who saw him at a show, said he and the others resembled the cast of Last of the Summer Wine.

Anyone know the whereabouts of Skull Murphy nowadays? I remember reading a letter in Power Slam years ago from someone who saw him at a show, said he and the others resembled the cast of Last of the Summer Wine.

Seems there are 2 Skull Murphy's. This one and

. Google is your friend.

Spade, I think that one of the 'wrestler conventions' you refer to is an annual get together in a pub somewhere outside Dartford. Horton Kirby/ Sutton at Hone/ Eynesford or one of those nodescript places signed off the A20 thereabouts. Dunno which pub, who organises it or how you'd get to go along.

But mebbe someone on this thread would know more.

. Google is your friend.

The Skull Murphy I remember was a bad-tampered Irishman who I think performed the Gator hold

. Google is your friend.

Ah yes, Sheffield's own Alan Kilby. Interviews weren't his strong point : ) I saw 'Fit' Finlay wrestle at Stockport Town Hall in about April 1991, I never dreamt that years later he'd end up in WCW and eventually WWE. Saw Skull Murphy in a 6-man tag dark match on a WWF card at the G-mex again in about April 91. It was him, Johnny South and Chic Cullen if I recall against Danny Boy Collins, Tony St. Clair and I honestly can't remember who the other one was. The heels won

While never a wrestling devotee, I did grow up with it on World of Sport, 4pm every Saturday, just before the football results.

As Spade states in his opening post, the vast majority of the big names are long gone. My personal favourites were Les Kellett, Pat Roach and Leon Arras (Brian Glover).

A couple of interesting websites are British Wrestlers Reunion, which was formed after the untimely death of Catweazle, and Wrestling Heritage which has biogs of just about any wrestler you can remember (and lots that you priobably can't) from the 60's and 70's. A lot of the content is for members, but its free so if you're sufficiently interested, theres no reason not to sign up.

Talking about care homes...Kendo Nagasaki was in the news only a couple of years ago. He ran a care home and Inspectors raided the home because of vermin etc....

I would think he's still around.....possibly.

I went to a pool match in the 80s in Brixton and the pub manager was Prince Kumani....a huge WI guy. When we got there, the single white guy in the pub was looking or a fight. It was a pretty grim night, given this guy had wound up the locals.....

If anyone remembers the Mighty John Quinn, a work colleague had returned from Canada (being a war refugee). He knew John QUinn and his family. He said they were all big guys, but John QUinn was a qualified meterologist...it didn't gel with his "in-ring" persona.

In the early 80s, Wayne Bridge (former world champion) used to be the manager of the Cock pub at Clapham Common Old Town - and the place was full of old wrestlers. It came as a shock to trouble-makers when they got seriously pummeled by "older boys"

I wonder, though, what has happened to the others.......Kung Fu, Skull Murphy, Johnny Saint and the black guy from Deptford...

Oh well....this is a poor 1,000th post, but....what the heck :P

I wonder, though, what has happened to the others.......Kung Fu, Skull Murphy, Johnny Saint and the black guy from Deptford...

Have a look a few threads down...

My mother's cousin Kevin was a wrestler...

Also, for anyone who hasn't read Simon Garfield's oral history of the WoS era, "The Wrestling", do so. It's only a quid on Amazon, and contains dope anecdotes like this:

Adrian Street: Do you know the story of when Les got his hand bit? He was talking to a friend of his on the farm, feeding the hogs, and this big old boar bit him on the hand. He got an infection and his hand swelled up like a boxing glove. Instead of going to the doctor’s like a normal person, he was wrestling that night so he went to the show.

In the dressing room, the guy he’s wrestling with says “Don’t go in the ring and wrestle like that”. Les goes “Yes… yes, I think you’re onto something there. I can’t go in the ring and wrestle like that. So what I’m gonna do to get rid of the poison is put my hand here, on the ground, and I want you to stamp on it.”

“Oh, I can’t do that Les”

“But you’ve told me, and I agreed, that I can’t go in the ring like this. So stamp on it, or I’ll stamp on you.”

So this other wrestler stamps down, hard, on his hand, and all this blood and poison and pus comes shooting out of it. This is in full view of the other wrestlers. He had to be the centre of attention did Les”

Talking about care homes...Kendo Nagasaki was in the news only a couple of years ago. He ran a care home and Inspectors raided the home because of vermin etc....

I went to a pool match in the 80s in Brixton and the pub manager was Prince Kumani....a huge WI guy. When we got there, the single white guy in the pub was looking or a fight. It was a pretty grim night, given this guy had wound up the locals.....

If anyone remembers the Mighty John Quinn, a work colleague had returned from Canada (being a war refugee). He knew John QUinn and his family. He said they were all big guys, but John QUinn was a qualified meterologist...it didn't gel with his "in-ring" persona.

In the early 80s, Wayne Bridge (former world champion) used to be the manager of the Cock pub at Clapham Common Old Town - and the place was full of old wrestlers. It came as a shock to trouble-makers when they got seriously pummeled by "older boys"

Oh well....this is a poor 1,000th post, but....what the heck :P

no post that mentions the legend that is Kendo Nagasaki is poor !!!!

Also, for anyone who hasn't read Simon Garfield's oral history of the WoS era, "The Wrestling", do so. It's only a quid on Amazon, and contains dope anecdotes like this:

Adrian Street: Do you know the story of when Les got his hand bit? He was talking to a friend of his on the farm, feeding the hogs, and this big old boar bit him on the hand. He got an infection and his hand swelled up like a boxing glove. Instead of going to the doctor’s like a normal person, he was wrestling that night so he went to the show.

In the dressing room, the guy he’s wrestling with says “Don’t go in the ring and wrestle like that”. Les goes “Yes… yes, I think you’re onto something there. I can’t go in the ring and wrestle like that. So what I’m gonna do to get rid of the poison is put my hand here, on the ground, and I want you to stamp on it.”

“Oh, I can’t do that Les”

“But you’ve told me, and I agreed, that I can’t go in the ring like this. So stamp on it, or I’ll stamp on you.”

So this other wrestler stamps down, hard, on his hand, and all this blood and poison and pus comes shooting out of it. This is in full view of the other wrestlers. He had to be the centre of attention did Les”

Yeah I've got a copy of The Wrestling, particularly liked the anecdote about how Kellett dealt with a rude fan who barged into the dressing room demanding an autograph. They couldn't get him to agree to an interview though

Would be funny if he went around the home in his mask, and straightened out any disruptive residents with the kamikaze crash

Apologies if he has already been mentioned, but veteran announcer Lance Russell is worth bearing in mind, turns 85 in March

Apologies if he has already been mentioned, but veteran announcer Lance Russell is worth bearing in mind, turns 85 in March

To coin a phrase, if he gets a UK obit, I'll give you the money myself.

To coin a phrase, if he gets a UK obit, I'll give you the money myself.

Could happen, Fred Blassie and The Fabulous Moolah got obits in The Independent, he was around during their era, mind you don't think he ever worked for WWE, but he did have a cameo in Man On The Moon

"Superstar" Billy Graham has been hospitalised for "a bad pollen reaction". I'm not 100% sure if that's a euphemism.