Guest Amo

Wrestlers/actors

The career of a lifetime.... right down the drain....

The most bummed out I've been about any death for fucking ages, Rhodes was truly the greatest fat man of the 20th century.

Really? I only know him from his days in the WWF (late 80s I think) and he wasn't really that impressive to watch. But then, what do I know about wrestling?

Bujt I'm sure that people like him wouldn't have a chance to step into the ring with the current fad of pretty boys and bodybuilders in the ring.

His late 80s WWF run was basically him collecting a paycheck (he said that he earned more money dressing up in polka dots and dancing with large black women in WWF than he ever did working on top in the southern territories, so fair play). But when it comes to pure charisma and the ability to sell a wrestling match on the mic, there was never anybody better. Just google "dusty rhodes hard times" to see the finest spoken-word performance in American performing arts history.

Dusty Rhodes on meeting the grim reaper: "He got a thickle!"

• Like 1

One to watch closely, Blackjack Mulligan has had another heart attack. He was already in fairly frail health before this.

– WWE Hall of Famer Bob “Blackjack Mulligan” Windham, who has had several health issues over the years, was scheduled to undergo brain surgery today to help relieve pressure on his brain but he suffered a heart attack on Tuesday, according to PWInsider. Windham, age 72, is currently in critical condition but is awake.

• Like 1

Buddy Landel, aka William Ansor, discovered dead, 53. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/590021-buddy-landel-passes-away

Edit: Cora Combs, vintage female wrestler also passes away at 92. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/589971-pro-wrestling-hall-of-famer-cora-combs-dies-at-the-age-of-92

Buddy Landel, aka William Ansor, discovered dead, 53. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/590021-buddy-landel-passes-away

Edit: Cora Combs, vintage female wrestler also passes away at 92. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/589971-pro-wrestling-hall-of-famer-cora-combs-dies-at-the-age-of-92

"Combs, who had been suffering from pneumonia in the last week of her life, was the last surviving member of the Billy Wolfe troupe in the heyday of women’s professional wrestling."

Seems to me we should take advantage of the Survivors thread whenever possible, cuz it isn't terribly often. Just throwing it out there.

SC

Cora Combs was the oldest living wrestler - that we know of. It used to be assumed Mick McManus was born in 1928 until he suddenly celebrated his 90th birthday one year, and there's a lot of folk for whom DOBs just aren't known.

This demise puts British wrestler Dave Kidney into the Top 10 on Wiki's list of oldest pro-wrestlers though. Never heard of him, beyond that list, but no doubt someone on here knows his entire CV!

Cora Combs was the oldest living wrestler - that we know of. It used to be assumed Mick McManus was born in 1928 until he suddenly celebrated his 90th birthday one year, and there's a lot of folk for whom DOBs just aren't known.

This demise puts British wrestler Dave Kidney into the Top 10 on Wiki's list of oldest pro-wrestlers though. Never heard of him, beyond that list, but no doubt someone on here knows his entire CV!

Can't find the documentary, but here's a story from 2009: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8172803.stm

Video still works.

• Like 1

Kidney is basically some schmuck who wrote into his local newspaper and told them he was a "British wrestling legend" and they believed him. He then lucked into a couple of BBC appearances off the back of that. He is very, very odd to look at and is basically as much of a wrestler as I am a footballer because I played for a Sunday league team twice.

Of that list of "oldest pro-wrestlers"... top two still living are both commentators, although Lance Russell would get a mention on Raw if he died which, I believe, would classify as a DDP-qualified obit as it airs on Sky Sports. Lord Littlebrook is one who is always on the outskirts of my DDP sides, for a midget to get to 86 is impressive, for him to survive about four years after having his legs amputated due to diabetes is stunning. Would get a proper obit as well because he's English and was a big (ish) name in the 60s over here, as well as being one of the few British people to have wrestled at WrestleMania.

Looking at other wrestlers over the age of 80 and their DDP potentials...

Don Leo Jonathan was Bret Hart's favourite wrestler ever, which might just sneak him a Raw mention.

Danny Hodge and Gene LeBell have enough to their careers outside of wrestling to get small British broadsheet obituaries maybe two or three weeks after they die.

Rene Goulet is a former WWE road agent so would get the Raw obit. Raw obits would be a slamdunk for Mr Fuji, Nick Bockwinkel and Mr Wrestling II as well.
Gypsy Joe is a bit of a wildcard but the fact that a guy had a wrestling career that spread from 1951 to 2009, including being willing to be bladed at the age of 78, might see him get a Daily Mail filler obit. Lost a foot to rickets the other year as well.

• Like 1

Kidney is basically some schmuck who wrote into his local newspaper and told them he was a "British wrestling legend" and they believed him. He then lucked into a couple of BBC appearances off the back of that. He is very, very odd to look at and is basically as much of a wrestler as I am a footballer because I played for a Sunday league team twice.

Of that list of "oldest pro-wrestlers"... top two still living are both commentators, although Lance Russell would get a mention on Raw if he died which, I believe, would classify as a DDP-qualified obit as it airs on Sky Sports. Lord Littlebrook is one who is always on the outskirts of my DDP sides, for a midget to get to 86 is impressive, for him to survive about four years after having his legs amputated due to diabetes is stunning. Would get a proper obit as well because he's English and was a big (ish) name in the 60s over here, as well as being one of the few British people to have wrestled at WrestleMania.

Looking at other wrestlers over the age of 80 and their DDP potentials...

Don Leo Jonathan was Bret Hart's favourite wrestler ever, which might just sneak him a Raw mention.

Danny Hodge and Gene LeBell have enough to their careers outside of wrestling to get small British broadsheet obituaries maybe two or three weeks after they die.

Rene Goulet is a former WWE road agent so would get the Raw obit. Raw obits would be a slamdunk for Mr Fuji, Nick Bockwinkel and Mr Wrestling II as well.

Gypsy Joe is a bit of a wildcard but the fact that a guy had a wrestling career that spread from 1951 to 2009, including being willing to be bladed at the age of 78, might see him get a Daily Mail filler obit. Lost a foot to rickets the other year as well.

That makes sense about Kidney as I was quite into the old school British wrestling when I was younger and had never heard of him. Neither, incidentally, has Cagematch or Online World of Wrestling.

Are RAW mentions counted for the DDP? If so, that really opens a can of potential.

Denucci would probably get a passing mention here somewhere due to be Mick Foley's trainer, I'd assume. Nick Bockwinkel is the one (apart from the ailing Littlebrook) I'd considered, as he is meant to be severely ill with dementia now, but I'm still over cautious about the obits, and more sensibly cautious about the fact one of the main sources of that information was Ric Flair.

Though, truth be told, I expect all of those names to outlive at least one more 90s after thought decades younger. Van Hammer or the like.

When it comes to looking for the oldest living wrestler of note.... this guy won't be getting any British national obits, but Carlos Rocha is 88 and, from what I can ascertain, is still alive somewhere in Canada.

He was usually billed as "The Portuguese Champion" and wrestled in towns that had a Portuguese ex-pat community as an ethnic babyface. You can see a lot of his history here, he was one of the main babyface challenges to Superstar Billy Graham during the latter's heel run as champ in the late 1970s.

Not of any interest to anyone other than pro-wres aspies, but there's enough of us here.

Kurt Angle says he has a tumor,and needs to have surgery.

If he don't change his life around with regards to steroids,health and such he is going to be the next big wrestling star to die under 50.

If he don't change his life around with regards to steroids,health and such he is going to be the next big wrestling star to die under 50.

I hope not. I sort of want him to go back to WWE but I also don't. It'll never be as good as the old days, you remember when he was the European and Intercontinental champ at the same time. And then when he got bored of that he went and cuckolded HHH.

Can you imagine if he leaned in to plant a kiss on Steph these days, she'd probably think she was about to get raped by the Michelin man....

I hope not. I sort of want him to go back to WWE but I also don't. It'll never be as good as the old days, you remember when he was the European and Intercontinental champ at the same time. And then when he got bored of that he went and cuckolded HHH.

Can you imagine if he leaned in to plant a kiss on Steph these days, she'd probably think she was about to get raped by the Michelin man....

I do indeed remember that and the wrestling then was phenomenal especially Chris Jericho vs Kurt angle matches. I do miss the European title , though probably just for nostalgia or some shit.

The WWE won't touch him nowadays ,he dies while under contract the bad publicity would be huge. According to the dirt sheets he was in line for a return but a WWE employee saw him off his face on something on a flight , and that put an end to Kurt even coming back to try for a physical which he would of failed anyway. Only HHH's friends like Kevin Nash can fail a physical and still come back and have a match. ;)

I do indeed remember that and the wrestling then was phenomenal especially Chris Jericho vs Kurt angle matches. I do miss the European title , though probably just for nostalgia or some shit.

The WWE won't touch him nowadays ,he dies while under contract the bad publicity would be huge. According to the dirt sheets he was in line for a return but a WWE employee saw him off his face on something on a flight , and that put an end to Kurt even coming back to try for a physical which he would of failed anyway. Only HHH's friends like Kevin Nash can fail a physical and still come back and have a match. ;)

Well yeah. When people miss something it's usually due to nostalgia.. :smoking-smiley:

Anyway, to move away from calling you thick for a second (j/k j/k don't kill me) there was some great antics with that belt early in the Attitude era. HBK had it as a vanity "side belt" just for laughs during the DX period when he was champ, I think he dropped it to HHH in some sort of comedy pushover match, not too long before he got that dreadful back injury that made him spend most of his WrestleMania title match against Austin hopping and hobbling like a man who's been waiting 7 hours to take a dump.

Then Owen and HHH had a great feud over it, their match at said WM XIV is one of the finest ever IMO. The only thing "lower card" about it was being early in the show.

I really should start that wrestling discussion thread over on extra-curricular shouldn't I. Nobody make it except me i'm the good one, you all blow Jim Cornette for milk bottle caps. While he's wearing those sweatpants he had on in the Dairy Queen video.

Reading up about the latest WWE lawsuit/counter (this time starring Koko B Ware and Blackjack Mulligan), I learnt that former pro-wrestler/tetchy old man Angelo Mosca has dementia now. Given the headshot issues, it should only be a matter of time before someone younger gets early on set dementia issues. Tommy Dreamer, for example.

C'est la vie. Shame as after following him on Twitter to keep tabs on his health condition I'd really grown to despise the prick.

Eaton in 2014, Travis here. On the third time lucky principle, I fear for the wrestler on Team Quantick 2016.

C'est la vie. Shame as after following him on Twitter to keep tabs on his health condition I'd really grown to despise the prick.

Ha! I think that's going to happen to me with Fabian Bolin.

Eaton in 2014, Travis here. On the third time lucky principle, I fear for the wrestler on Team Quantick 2016.

I think the solitary wrestler pick will be an ongoing tradition from me hereon in. Early gut feeling is 2016 will be the year Kamala finally chucks his spear in.

I think the solitary wrestler pick will be an ongoing tradition from me hereon in. Early gut feeling is 2016 will be the year Kamala finally chucks his spear in.

I I thought Kamala would be a goner by now. Holding on for that HOF call, clearly.

I think they'll wait until he's safely buried in a pine box before they give him the HoF call-up, it's not really a positive look for Titan to have one of its "legends" roll down the aisle with no legs.

• Like 1