Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

... And if we want to go full-blown geek, I found some online discussions where people have tried to guess the Myer-Briggs personality type of each incarnation of the Doctor. :reading-glasses:

The common consensus seems to be:

William Hartnell First Doctor: INTJ (Scientist)
Patrick Troughton Second Doctor: ENTP (Visionary)
Jon Pertwee Third Doctor: ESFP (Performer)
Tom Baker Fourth Doctor: ENTP (Visionary)
Peter Davison Fifth Doctor: INTP (Thinker)
Colin Baker Sixth Doctor: ENFJ (Giver)
Sylvester McCoy Seventh Doctor: INFJ (Protector)

Paul McGann Eighth Doctor: INFP (Idealist)

John Hurt War Doctor: ISTP (Mechanic)

Christopher Ecclestone Ninth Doctor: INTP (Thinker)
David Tennant Tenth Doctor: ENTP (Visionary)

Matt Smith Eleventh Doctor - ENTP (Visionary)

Peter Capaldi Twelfth Doctor - INTP (Thinker)

Jodie Whittaker Thirteenth Doctor - ENFP (Inspirer)

Roger Delgado Master: INTJ (Scientist)
Peter Pratt Master: INTJ (Scientist)
Anthony Ainley Master: ENTJ (Executive)
Eric Roberts Master: INTJ (Scientist)
Derek Jacobi Master: INTP (Thinker)
John Simm Master: ENTJ (Executive)

Michelle Gomez Missy: ENTP (Visionary)

Kate O'Mara Rani: INTJ (Very, very INTJ, in fact.)

It rings true that most of the Masters are the same personality type as cold hearted scientists and corrupt business executives. I read online once someone who supposedly knew Steve Jobs in real life and said he had the same personality as the Master. :P

EDIT: I had originally thought the Fifth Doctor was an INFP and a few websites out there argue that he is. However, the people in the discussion on this page present a very strong and overwhelmingly convincing case that the Fifth Doctor is in fact an INTP:

https://listfulofhorrors.wordpress.com/2018/02/02/dr-who-and-myers-briggs/

Case closed.

INFP screen heroes are actually very rare as, in real life, quiet loner idealist  introverts of this type end up being writers, not gregarious action heroes. One of the other rare examples of an INFP science fiction hero is Luke Skywalker, who joins the rebels as a naive idealist and wishes to follow in his father's footsteps as a Jedi. Later his idealism leads him on a quest to redeem his fallen father and eventually embrace non-violence. His ideals shattered by Kylo Ren's betrayal and blaming himself for his own weakness  and failure to help Kylo, the introvert withdraws and becomes a recluse on an island, rejecting the Jedi and seeing their belief system as toxic. Kylo himself is also most likely an INFP turned evil.

Frodo Baggins and Fox Mulder are apparently also screen examples of INFP heroes and we can see that Luke, Frodo and Fox are all quite similar to each other and all very different from the Fifth Doctor. The Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) is definitely much closer to being an INFP.

Besides Kylo Ren, Sweeney Todd is another good example of an INFP who has become twisted and evil by the betrayals he has experienced.

This series of Doctor Who has been popular outside of the dedicated fan base which is good but I am hoping that as with Peter Capaldi's first series they learn and improve. There needs to be more menace and there needs to be better story telling. Some of the exposition is excruciating. However there were no real stinkers but there was also no real classics. I am looking forward to NYD as I feel this would be a better slot for a special than Christmas Day.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am looking forward to NYD as I feel this would be a better slot for a special than Christmas Day.

It turns out there is an official Christmas special after all, narrated by Bradley Walsh. Watch it here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1075013174833876993

I'd say it is the best episode of the year.

12 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This series of Doctor Who has been popular outside of the dedicated fan base which is good but I am hoping that as with Peter Capaldi's first series they learn and improve. There needs to be more menace and there needs to be better story telling. Some of the exposition is excruciating. However there were no real stinkers but there was also no real classics. I am looking forward to NYD as I feel this would be a better slot for a special than Christmas Day.

@msc will probably tell me to stop reading Gallifrey Base, but aside from the few who simply cannot get there head around the existence of a female Doctor (although none quite as forthright or bonkers as Ian "Start Again BBC. You raped my first love" Levine.) the general consensus is that it's decent TV but it's not quite got all the hallmarks of great Doctor Who; it plodded in parts. A series arc would probably help give it a bit more structure, and Chibnall needs to trust his writers a bit more.

Can see Jodie doing one more series and then leaving, giving Chibnall 2-3 series with the 14th doctor.

New Year's Day move isn't welcomed for me, the Xmas Day episode of Doctor Who sorted of marked the transition to somewhat normality after christmas day. 

• Like 1

Well, The ABC Murders is quite frankly, shite.

Don't get me wrong...acting's pretty good. The adaptation though is making the whole story one-dimensional and practically obvious where it is going, focusing on Poirot's background and demons is missing the point. Hastings might not be necessary to the story, but missing him out means the viewer is not personally engaged.

And the guy playing Donald is the least handsome I've seen in any adaptation.

Shame, it's one of my favourite stories.

Awful, and shot in near-darkness as seems to be the fashion now.  Might as well be on the radio.  That's the last time I watch anything that Phelps woman has had her grubby fingers in.  I should have known better after last year's abomination where she changed the entire plot and the murderer as well.

• Like 1

Just watching the Michael Palin documentary on North Korea- admittedly the extended highlights.

Was fantastic series in the Autumn and this is just as excellent. One of Channel 5 best things ever

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:29, YoungWillz said:

Difficult.

I like the move away from an oblique story arc extending over a whole series. Quite simply, I remain entirely baffled by the Time War, Bad Wolf, who fits in where and why jigsaw efforts of Davies and Moffatt. Why they still can't do a longer series with more double headers I don't know. They are still fitting the denouement into about 6 or 7 minutes at the end with little time for proper set-up - and therefore character sympathy is dripped in like a soap opera over several episodes, watering it down.

The Doctor? No quirks or eccentricities, little "alien" content, thus making her indistinguishable from say, Maggie Philbin on Swap Shop. (Jeez, what a reference!).

I like the idea of getting off Earth more and also historicals. (Why the Tardis didn't inform them they were back in the Witch Finder times I have no idea...Doctor seemed lost and perplexed about what time zone they were in without any need for it.) Historicals can encourage watchers to find out about real events - least they did when I was a kid. And I never believed the Terreleptils started the Great Fire of London, ha! More of a lead into the next episode after rounding off the one you've just watched - again, a welcome back for that.

It's become a little worthy in its messaging, and seemingly aimed at a very young age group. Even OldWillz started watching again when Capaldi was on, he's given up on this one. Come on, imagination isn't just for kids!

Needs a juicy baddie!

I saw Resolution last night. IMHO, it was atrocious. Probably the worst episode since the flatulent aliens at the beginning of the New Who era. :(

Good points:

1. I liked the opening scene in the Dark Ages. They could have made a whole Beowulf-style story out of it.

2.Brexit killed UNIT. Yay!!! Hopefully it is permanently written out of the show.

3.Nice parallel scene between the Doctor making her sonic and the Dalek forging new armour.

Bad points:

1. Most pure schlock script since Time and the Rani. Absolute trash.

2. I was sitting on the fence about Jodie but this episode clinched it for me: She can't act, at least not as the Doctor. She is a nice persona of the Dictir, poorly executed.

3.Yas is still completely undeveloped.

4. Daleks were once Nazi analogies. Now they are just semi-immortal demons that go around possessing people. Why? What do they represent?

5. The Doctor hates guns and killing but likes UNIT and has no qualms about tossing Daleks into supernovas...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

I saw Resolution last night. IMHO, it was atrocious. Probably the worst episode since the flatulent aliens at the beginning of the New Who era. :(

Good points:

1. I liked the opening scene in the Dark Ages. They could have made a whole Beowulf-style story out of it.

2.Brexit killed UNIT. Yay!!! Hopefully it is permanently written out of the show.

3.Nice parallel scene between the Doctor making her sonic and the Dalek forging new armour.

Bad points:

1. Most pure schlock script since Time and the Rani. Absolute trash.

2. I was sitting on the fence about Jodie but this episode clinched it for me: She can't act, at least not as the Doctor. She is a nice persona of the Dictir, poorly executed.

3.Yas is still completely undeveloped.

4. Daleks were once Nazi analogies. Now they are just semi-immortal demons that go around possessing people. Why? What do they represent? 

5. The Doctor hates guns and killing but likes UNIT and has no qualms about tossing Daleks into supernovas...

"What do they represent? "

BBC going downhill

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, runebomme said:

"What do they represent? "

BBC going downhill

:D

"Ladies and gentlemen, from the people who bought you Jimmy Savile, meet the new hacks we have entrusted with our flagship multi-million dollar science fiction show... Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker."

I'll try and keep this short.

I liked the idea of possession (a la Spiders From Mars) unfortunately it's yet another Pertwee idea (Green Death/Arachnids In The UK) rip off. I think the dig at UNIT's suspension was more at Trump - allies who have withdrawn support. Noice, just blunderingly done.

There was an air of menace...when they were actually focusing on the Dalek. The whole soap opera extended highlights on Ryan's dad could have been kept within the action, rather than stand away...made it look like we were watching two programmes at once. However Ryan and Grandad's acting knocks the spots off most in the whole series (Alan Cumming was delicious though!).

This would have been a much better story had it not been a Dalek. Why not just invent a new alien who could have done everything the Dalek did? It didn't sit well with Dalek lore.

Imo, the writers need to read more speculative science journals like they did in the old days and extrapolate from their imagination, rather than watch Doctors and EastEnders and think they can throw a bit of alien in.

Yes, it is a bit like if the Davison era were making watered down versions of Pertwee stories as rewritten by Pip and Jane Baker! :)

Seriously, maybe the Dalek I meant to represent how Nazi ideology never truly dies but can "infect" people in later generations, which would be rather apt in this time of rising populism. I really don't know if Chibnall is that thoughtful though. It is hard to tell what his stories are saying about anything.

For instance, he rids us of UNIT but his Doctor mourns them for instance. Taking your interpretation, does the story lament the decline of the alliance under Trump or endorse it? It is good to be nuanced but his stories seem so equivocal they end up not really saying anything.

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I'll try and keep this short.

I liked the idea of possession (a la Spiders From Mars) unfortunately it's yet another Pertwee idea (Green Death/Arachnids In The UK) rip off. I think the dig at UNIT's suspension was more at Trump - allies who have withdrawn support. Noice, just blunderingly done.

There was an air of menace...when they were actually focusing on the Dalek. The whole soap opera extended highlights on Ryan's dad could have been kept within the action, rather than stand away...made it look like we were watching two programmes at once. However Ryan and Grandad's acting knocks the spots off most in the whole series (Alan Cumming was delicious though!).

This would have been a much better story had it not been a Dalek. Why not just invent a new alien who could have done everything the Dalek did? It didn't sit well with Dalek lore.

Imo, the writers need to read more speculative science journals like they did in the old days and extrapolate from their imagination, rather than watch Doctors and EastEnders and think they can throw a bit of alien in.

I watched it again just to give it a second chance. Everything, from the script to Jodie's acting, is just as risible as I thought it was.

"I liked the idea of possession (a la Spiders From Mars) unfortunately it's yet another Pertwee idea (Green Death/Arachnids In The UK) rip off."

Yes but it was also a staple of early 1950s B-films before that. "It Conquered the World" starring Lee Van Cleef is an example that is fairly similar to this episode, which is probably partly why I find it so schlocky. Planet of the Spiders, by contrast, is full of rich ideas.

• Like 1

Late to the party as always, I'm catching up on Black Mirror.  Great stuff.

LOL - some whinger has started a change.org petition to sack Chibnall:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-sack-chris-chibnall-as-dr-who-producer/c

On Reddit, they are classing Resolution in the "so bad it's good" territory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/comments/ac86n3/last_episode_was_probably_one_of_my_favorite_its/

8 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

LOL - some whinger has started a change.org petition to sack Chibnall:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-sack-chris-chibnall-as-dr-who-producer/c

On Reddit, they are classing Resolution in the "so bad it's good" territory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/comments/ac86n3/last_episode_was_probably_one_of_my_favorite_its/

Resolution was like the rest of Series 11. It was fun to watch but there is no plot and some painful exposition.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Resolution was like the rest of Series 11. It was fun to watch but there is no plot and some painful exposition.  

Fundamentally good idea, fundamentally shit execution.

A Dalek has just possessed a human, so let's take an extended momentum break for some good old EE family drama but instead of everybody being a self-centred twat like in EE everybody's fundamentally reasonable - and we'll make the scenes so long you can make a cup of tea and slice of toast (I tested this about a minute into the Ryan and his dad scene). It doesn't help they've cast a companion who is more Doctory than the Doctor herself as well (highlighted when he introduced Ryan's dad to the TARDIS)....

Foolishly I keep looking in here to see if the gathered alumni have a recommendation. But no, I fall for it every time, yet more stuff about a 1960's kids programme that just won't die whilst the thread British Science Fiction Programmes sits dustily unused in the corner. :evil2:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Foolishly I keep looking in here to see if the gathered alumni have a recommendation. But no, I fall for it every time, yet more stuff about a 1960's kids programme that just won't die whilst the thread British Science Fiction Programmes sits dustily unused in the corner. :evil2:

Indeed.  Why not create a thread specifically for Doctor Who so that the rest of us can avoid it completely  ?

• Like 2

Shocking, innit, that one of the most popular British TV shows of all time (which it is, tbf) gets mentioned a lot on a predominantly British forum.

Anyhow, started on Better Call Saul at last. 8 episodes in, far better than Breaking Bad. Probably because it focuses on Saul (Jimmy) and Mike, and has none of the annoying BB characters (most of the rest of them).

In short from above, Resolution was shit, Black Mirror is shit, and I haven't seen ABC Murders yet, but I'm worried it might be shit. Anyone see Agatha and The Truth of Murder, the Channel 5 thing? That was shit. Death on the Tyne was... actually that was so stupid it was mildly entertaining.

15 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I think your underestimating quite how much us Who-fans need things to be in the right place, right order and have some sort of purpose and logic.And how much analysis we can bring.

The British Science Fiction Programmes thread is for reporting the death of people who appeared in science fiction programmes. 

The So... What Do You Watch on TV? thread is for the discussion of television.

Back on topic :devil:, did any else find the Dalek shoots up an army regiment scene in Resolution utterly laughable CGI? Like they blew the entire budget on that yet didn't have much of a budget to start with? Looked like something out of a early 2000s action film made by someone who'd only just discovered after effects. 

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

Indeed.  Why not create a thread specifically for Doctor Who so that the rest of us can avoid it completely  ?

ftfy

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Shocking, innit, that one of the most popular British TV shows of all time (which it is, tbf) gets mentioned a lot on a predominantly British forum.

It's not that it's on the forum, this is right and proper, it's that it overwhelms a generic thread about other programmes that might be of interest whilst there is a more appropriate thread that would allow those precious few of us uninterested in it to avoid trawling through it whilst looking for something else. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, msc said:

In short from above, Resolution was shit, Black Mirror is shit, and I haven't seen ABC Murders yet, but I'm worried it might be shit. Anyone see Agatha and The Truth of Murder, the Channel 5 thing? That was shit. Death on the Tyne was... actually that was so stupid it was mildly entertaining.

I watched the first part, and it was shit.

8 hours ago, Deathray said:

I think your underestimating quite how much us Who-fans need things to be in the right place, right order and have some sort of purpose and logic.And how much analysis we can bring.

The British Science Fiction Programmes thread is for reporting the death of people who appeared in science fiction programmes. 

The So... What Do You Watch on TV? thread is for the discussion of television.

You're right, my error. An error I have now rectified. My apologies.

Actually, in the 5 years 362 days (getting the number right for those who like precision) I appear to have been registered here, this is the first thread I ever created :o

ETA: NB. I manfully avoided posting it with some sarky comment about the reason for its creation and even tagged it with a halfway witty comment (for me). What's not to like?

32 minutes ago, En Passant said:

ftfy

It's not that it's on the forum, this is right and proper, it's that it overwhelms a generic thread about other programmes that might be of interest whilst there is a more appropriate thread that would allow those precious few of us uninterested in it to avoid trawling through it whilst looking for something else. :P

I think this come down to 2 things.

1. There are 3 topics DJL will reply to at length in most threads, but don't worry, Catholicism Scandals are due a comeback soon. :D

2. Most modern TV is shite so folk are mostly relying on the same old stuff. Or Netflix. Hence Who comes up a lot because beyond the geeks, randomers like LFN bring it up (because they fancy Jodie Whittaker).

Killing Eve was great, Trust was reasonably good, and I quite liked Richard Osman's House of Games thing. Three recommendations from the last 12 months = a golden age, practically. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

I watched the first part, and it was shit.

Bah and humbug. Mind you, should have guessed when the writer apparently understood Ordeal better than Christie herself...

• Like 1