Banshees Scream

The Dead Of 2009

Drivel.

I seem to recall you spent quite a lot of time last year informing us of how Sir Edmund's death was not particularly noteworthy as most young Americans had not heard of him. Now that you have a new little theory, which we'll probably hear about all year, he's suddenly significant. The least you can do is be consistant.

Re the optimism - I've seen it before with Blair in 97 (only time I've ever voted) and look how many celebrity deaths there that summer.

Oh God Han, you put a finger on something there. I must go out to purchase some earplugs just in case Elton John has another one in him.

He only sings songs for dead blondes though. Do you think Jade Goody would count? I can just imagine it.

Not anymore, she's bald...

Drivel.

I seem to recall you spent quite a lot of time last year informing us of how Sir Edmund's death was not particularly noteworthy as most young Americans had not heard of him. Now that you have a new little theory, which we'll probably hear about all year, he's suddenly significant. The least you can do is be consistant.

Re the optimism - I've seen it before with Blair in 97 (only time I've ever voted) and look how many celebrity deaths there that summer.

Oh God Han, you put a finger on something there. I must go out to purchase some earplugs just in case Elton John has another one in him.

He only sings songs for dead blondes though. Do you think Jade Goody would count? I can just imagine it.

Goodbye Jane Goody

Though I never had you at all

You had the grace to whore yourself

While those around you laughed

They crawled out of East Angular...

No, not even slightly creative tonight. I'll leave it up to someone else.

First of all, nobody outside of the celebrity-obsessed Americans gives a sh*t about Heath Ledger, Brad Renfro or Allan Melvin,

Heath Ledger was Australian, so I would imagine news of him dying was pretty big there, as it was here in the UK. Also, because people around the world would have seen the latest Batman movie, that elevates the significance of his death to celebrity-obsessed non-Americans too. He's just been nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, and I would imagine the Academy Awards has a fairly broad following in many countries around the world.

I didn't know who he was until he was dead. I wouldn't have recognised him if he passed me on the street.

Being Australian, I can say Heath Ledger remains big news here. But we all would have recognised him on the street - not every day you see someone looking like a Joker.

Jose Torres, former World Light-Heavyweight Champion, writer and political activist, has died aged 72...

Honestly, and I'm probably gonna take some heat for this...

But I have a gut feeling that 2009 is going to be a very slow year for celebrity deaths. 2008 was downright brutal, but many there was a reason for that. Maybe death decided to run its course in 2008 so that 2009 would be a slow year.

I mean seriously, the only real notable deaths so far this year were Pat Hingle, Patrick McGoohan, and Ricaldo Montalban. By this time last year, Heath Ledger, Brad Renfro, Suzanne Pleshette, Bobby Fischer, Allan Melvin, and Edmund Hillary were all dead.

As an American, I can tell you that so far, I have never seen this much optimism about this country.

And speaking of the "Obama Effect," I'd say it's already taking effect...

1.) The Israel-Palestine conflict abruptly ended and Israel suddenly decides to stop the war and withdraw all its troops from Gaza.

2.) The US Airways plane crash in the NYC Hudson River. No deaths. Everybody survived.

3.) Patrick Swayze is still alive despite having Stage 4 pancreatic cancer (the most lethal kind).

Something is going on here. Seriously, this past month, it has been nothing but great news. I really think it has to do with the Obama Effect.

Yup -- that was me all right.

Well, frankly, Sir Edmund Hillary wasn't really all that well known to most young Americans. Then again, my co-worker pointedly noted that neither was Paul Newman (I never forget his words to the effect of "nobody under the age of 35 really gives a s*it about Paul Newman"), yet I considered Newman a big time celebrity. So obviously, definition of celebrity differs for everybody.

My new theory? That everybody has a different definition of a famous person or celebrity. Obviously, I focus more on entertainers (particularly actors, directors, and musicians) and admit to have a lower threshold for what I consider a "famous" actor (e.g., again with the John Phillip Law example, I consider him a major celebrity but admit it's for sentimental reasons, I doubt many people my age know who he is). I have (admittedly) a much higher threshold when it comes to those outside the entertainment industry. Obviously, I consider Steve Jobs, Ted Kennedy, Margaret Thatcher, et. al., to be celebrities. But I generally do not consider a politician who served as an American congressman thirty years ago to be a celebrity unless he was a significant and well-known political figure.

Anyway, re 1997. 1997 was probably the most brutal year for celebrity deaths. Princess Diana, John Denver, Gianni Versace, Chris Farley, Notorious BIG, James Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Mother Teresa, Deng Xiaoping, Toshio Mifune, etc. all died in 97.

100 year-old baseball player Billy Werber, the last surviving teammate of Babe Ruth. If he gets a suitable obit, he'll be a unique hit for Lidders Late Lamentables on DDP.

24 hours and no new death to report. Is this the effect of Barack Obama? Has he conquered death? (In which case I predict the death of deathlist. What a pity.

Wow, and I was only joking. Seems like I almost started WW3. (Apologies for the missing bracket at end of my earlier post. Unforgivable, I know.)

It's actually my fault. I was the one. I'm made out to be a complete douchebag.

Oh well, that's why it's the Internet. :pop:

100 year-old baseball player Billy Werber, the last surviving teammate of Babe Ruth. If he gets a suitable obit, he'll be a unique hit for Lidders Late Lamentables on DDP.

:pop:B):banghead: I put Werber on my team last year and dropped him

That would have been a classic, you have to keep those picks.

That would have been a classic, you have to keep those picks.

Well I dropped him in favour of Fred Shuttlesworth. Hopefully I'll get a return on him

Bob Doyle, the last known surviving Irish fighter of the International Brigade in the Spanish Civil War, has died aged 93.

According to a wikipedia editor, Henry Allingham (112), British WWI veteran and Europe's oldest man has apparently been reported as having died.... no sources available to clarify..

I hope it's not true.. I am/was quite fond of him :unsure:

According to a wikipedia editor, Henry Allingham (112), British WWI veteran and Europe's oldest man has apparently been reported as having died.... no sources available to clarify..

I saw that too, it did say "citation to follow" after the entry and it's since been deleted.

Even though I have Henry on my list, I'd like him to at least make it in the top 10 oldest in the world before he carks it

Yeah... I was hoping that myself but I had my doubts as he never appeared to be in great health... Florrie Baldwin's a hopeful though she's 112 too and she might just hang in their long enough to give the UK the world's oldest person title which we haven't seen in... well over a decade i guess? Saw her on a late night program about longevity last year.. and she too appeared to be very frail... I don't think we have much chance tbh

Wikipedia are going to crack down on on false death reporting. The boss, Jimmy Wales has taken action after Robert Byrd and Ted Kennedy were both pronounced dead on their respective pages.

I saw that too, it did say "citation to follow" after the entry and it's since been deleted.

Even though I have Henry on my list, I'd like him to at least make it in the top 10 oldest in the world before he carks it

lets all hope this is a false report....

Reported about 7 hours ago so I'm guessing it was fake.

Surprising as it came from an editor who had a history of reporting a lot of real death reports on the site...

Reported about 7 hours ago so I'm guessing it was fake.

Surprising as it came from an editor who had a history of reporting a lot of real death reports on the site...

Probably iain.

Or perhaps Canadian Paul was bored and drunk... :unsure:

The mother of infamous Branch Davidian sect leader David Koresh has been stabbed to death, and Koresh's aunt was in custody Saturday.

Bonnie Clark Halderman, 60, was found Friday afternoon at the home of her sister, Beverly Clark, in a rural area near Chandler, Henderson County Sheriff Ray Nutt said. Chandler is about 175 miles north of Houston.

"It's still under investigation, and we really don't know what the motive was or what caused this to happen," Nutt said Saturday. Authorities found a knife they believed was used in the slaying, he said.

He said deputies were called to the home Friday and the two women were the only people in the house when deputies arrived.

Clark, 54, was being held without bail pending a court appearance. Jail officials said she did not yet have an attorney to speak for her.

Halderman wrote a 2007 autobiography, "Memories of the Branch Davidians: The Autobiography of David Koresh's Mother," that described how her son, Vernon Howell, became David Koresh, leader of the Branch Davidian cult.

In 1993, agents of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms tried to arrest Koresh for allegedly stockpiling weapons and explosives at the Branch Davidians' ranch compound outside Waco.

The confrontation led to a 51-day standoff that ended when the complex caught fire and burned to the ground on April 19, 1993, killing Koresh and nearly 80 of his followers.

About two dozen children were among the victims.

The government claimed the Davidians committed suicide by setting the fire and shooting themselves. Survivors said the blaze was started by tear gas rounds fired into the compound. A 10-month independent investigation concluded in 2000 that Koresh was solely to blame.

The mother of infamous Branch Davidian sect leader David Koresh has been stabbed to death, and Koresh's aunt was in custody Saturday.

Bonnie Clark Halderman, 60.....

She must have been very young when she became a mother, or they've made a mistake about her age. David Koresh was born in 1959.

Incidently. Branch Davidian member Jaime Castillo, 40, died a few weeks ago. He was a drummer in David Koresh's band.

Ray Harryhausen lives on, but his longtime collaborator, producer Charles H Schneer has died aged 88

He produced "Jason and the Argonauts", "Clash of the Titans" and the "Sinbad" series for which Harryhausen is famed.

Former women's basketball coach for North Carolina Kay Yow has died at the age of 66. She also coached the women's olympic team to a gold medal in 1988

Senegal's first Prime Minister Mamadou Dia, has died aged 99.

I think he was a pick in this years DDP.