themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Hat tip to the top of North America, 110 years ago today Charles Tupper, 6th Prime Minister of Canada died aged 94.

charles-tupper.jpg

• Like 1

Steve Peregrin Took of T-Rex, Pink Fairies and Inner City Unit fame died a rock death (choked on a cocktail cherry) this day 35 years ago aged 31.

220px-Steve_Peregrin_Took.jpg

There are others (Ivan the Great (Ivan III) of Russia - 510 years; Abu'l-Fath Jalal ud-din Muhammad Akbar (Akbar I) Mughal Emperor - 410 years; Ernest Eldridge - 80 years; and Xavier Cugat - 25 years), but you already posted the only important one.

SC

tdi7b.jpg
  • Like 1

Prince William, Duke of Cumberland died this day 250 years ago aged 44. He was known as the Butcher and had a sausage named after him :scratchhead:

220px-Cumberland-Reynolds.jpg

It's 30 years since Bilko played his last con. Phil Silvers died this day aged 74.

200px-Phil_Silvers_Top_Banana.JPG

It's 30 years since Bilko played his last con. Phil Silvers died this day aged 74.

200px-Phil_Silvers_Top_Banana.JPG

The indisputable leader of the gang.

Mamie Eisenhower died on November 1, 1979. She had suffered from a stroke several weeks earlier. Funny thing is, on Halloween '79, she told her granddaughter that she'll die the next day. She was right.

The Eisenhowers always were one of my favorite presidential couples, for some reason, along with the LBJs.

Mamie_Eisenhower-AB.jpeg

• Like 1

One of the coolest looking motherfuckers alive, Wayne Static of Static-X, died 1 year ago now aged 48.

Wayne-Static-Static-X-Disband.jpg

wayne-static.jpg?width=700

I guess this is what happens when people read the label on hair gel but not on sleepy pills.

60 years ago 11-1-1955: Dale Carnegie.

As you can tell by my magnetism amongst DLers I'm the living embodiment of his 'Win Friends and Influence People' writings.

SC

• Like 1

French racing driver Pierre Veyron died 45 years ago aged 67.

He was the winner of the 1939 24 hours of Le Mans and Bugatti test driver. The Bugatti Veyron is named in his honour.

He also received the Legion D'Honneur for his work during WWII where he served with the resistance.

pierre-veyron-profile.jpg

65 years since the death of George Bernard Shaw aged 94. A like for the first person to reply with what he achieved which was unique.

george-bernard-shaw.jpg

Tom Magliozzi, one half of the Car Talk duo, died November 3, 2014, at aged 77, from Alzheimer's Disease.

Back in Poland, every Saturday we drove to my parents' hometown to visit the grandparents. It was a 90 minute drive, so we listened to Car Talk to pass the time quicker.

I was never interested in cars, but that show was hilarious! The only celebrities whose deaths really upset me were Joan Rivers and Tom Magliozzi.

Tom_Magliozzi.jpg

Long before the Muppets put Pigs in Space, the Soviets put a canine in space.

Laika, a stray bitch from the streets of Moscow, was put into orbit and died of hyperthermia on this day in 1957.

220px-Laika_%28Soviet_dog%29.jpg

65 years since the death of George Bernard Shaw aged 94. A like for the first person to reply with what he achieved which was unique.

george-bernard-shaw.jpg

Got point George Bernard Shaw named after him?

• Like 1

Bob Kane, co-creator of Batman died on this day in 1998 at the age of 83

george-bernard-shaw.jpg

He's the only Nobel laureate to win an Oscar.

• Like 1

george-bernard-shaw.jpg

A cigar to the man in the raincoat.

• Like 1

We were going to miss him after this day 5 years ago, Jim Clench died aged 61.

A-363915-1226228214.jpeg.jpg

george-bernard-shaw.jpg

Erm, there's a fella who won a Peace Prize and also an Oscar for "An Inconvenient Truth"?

Unlike global warming (man made or otherwise at the moment) he is real, his name's Al Gore.

People often get mixed up on that one, they also wrongly say Lord of the Rings was the only fantasy film to win an Oscar.

• Like 1

george-bernard-shaw.jpg

Erm, there's a fella who won a Peace Prize and also an Oscar for "An Inconvenient Truth"?

Unlike global warming (man made or otherwise at the moment) he is real, his name's Al Gore.

People often get mixed up on that one, they also wrongly say Lord of the Rings was the only fantasy film to win an Oscar.

It was unique when GBS did it.

• Like 1

Its 20 years since Paul Eddington died from skin cancer, aged 68.

Paul_Eddington_2.jpg

Quite a few today but let's stick with a baseball theme!

Grover Cleveland Alexander - 65 years

Cry Young - 60 years

Sparky Anderson (Mgr) - 5 years

Also the father of jazz, Buddy Bolden - 85 years

Its 20 years since Paul Eddington died from skin cancer, aged 68.

Paul_Eddington_2.jpg

That means it's 20 years since lost my virginity. I remember hearing about Paul Eddington's death the morning after far better than I remember the sex. I think Marti Caine died the same day.

Also checking out on 4th November but different years were Wilfred Owen and Dominique Dunne.

• Like 1

A year after winning the Nobel Peace Prize Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated 20 years ago today aged 73 (never won an Oscar though).

yitzhak-rabin.jpg

• Like 1

Baseball player and manager Sparky Anderson died 5 years ago today aged 76.

sparky-anderson.jpg