Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Foyt is expected to be in Indy for the 500 next month.

From Wiki...

Dick Trickle died May 16, 2013 from an apparent self-inflicted gun shot wound. The incident occurred at 12:02 at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Boger City, NC. The Lincoln County Communications Center received a call apparently from the victim that "there would be a dead body and it would be his."

No way....... this saddens me tremendously....... who's gonna top themselves next? Dick Pound? Joey Buttafuoco?

From Wiki...

Dick Trickle died May 16, 2013 from an apparent self-inflicted gun shot wound. The incident occurred at 12:02 at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Boger City, NC. The Lincoln County Communications Center received a call apparently from the victim that "there would be a dead body and it would be his."

A cemetery is usually the perfect place to find a dead body

It's the Isle of Man TT again, so hang tight for a number of reports saying someone has died.

The first of the 2013 graduates is Japanese biker Yoshinari Matsushita, http://asia.eurospor...121/story.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaefell_Mountain_Course_fatal_accidents

I'll probably be a close second to OoO in the queue for Rush; movie about the battle for the 1976 F1 title between Hunt and Lauda. Not that long to wait now. Amazingly, Lauda is played by only one actor!

http://rush-movie-trailer.blogspot.co.uk/

Drag-racing legend Art Arfons has died and was a unique pick of 2 Farts and a Splash on the CPDP.

Sad news, I think he was the chap who took an engine out of a jet aeroplane and built a car around it, or something like that.

Outlived by his brother Walt Afons- who at 90 is ten years older - he too pioneered jet powered cars. I'd say it's pretty remarkable they both reached old age, considering what they were pioneering.

Walt has died aged 96.

Jason Leffler (a sometime regular in the NASCAR series) won't be making any more Left Turns. http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/NASCAR-Driver-in-Critical-After-Crash-at-Local-Speedway-211313661.html

His last race in the Sprint Cup was only this past weekend.

Froilan Gonzalez had a heart-attack earlier this year, I've just learnt.

Dead

I'd only just put him on my list of possibilities for 2014. Better remove him then!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/22946026

Murray Walker has been diagnosed with cancer, which was discovered after the fall in which he broke his pelvis (see earlier in this thread). Luckily it's said to be at a very early stage.

Fingers crossed. Poor Murray. He sounds hopeful, but he's nearly 90 and things like this take it out of you.

Murray cuts right through my fog of cynicism every time I hear him speak. Just his voice alone is funny enough, which makes the things he actually said 10 times funnier. A true legend, in an age where people get called that for posting high scores on videogames.

• Like 1

I always had respect for him, but having now met him on a number of occasions recently having an extended period of time in his company (and in one case working in his company), I really do have deep affection for him, like a favourite uncle.

I'm not sure, now, that I'll see him this year, but if I do, I'll post an update.

I always had respect for him, but having now met him on a number of occasions recently having an extended period of time in his company (and in one case working in his company), I really do have deep affection for him, like a favourite uncle.

I'm not sure, now, that I'll see him this year, but if I do, I'll post an update.

Wow. You're really lucky.

I've only just noticed, this news comes almost exactly 20 years after his co-commentator James Hunt died of a sudden heart attack (!). Hopefully Murray will be sticking around for a while longer though. He did seem in great health until his recent fall, though - that's going from what little we see of him these days.

Until 2013, he was in brilliant health. He may not be on the TV much, but he attends every major historic festival going and is very involved with the historic racing world, which is where I'm involved, and where our paths have crossed.

He no longer drives, but didn't need a walking stick, wasn't frail and his memory is top-notch. But we'll have to see what happens.

Reports that driver Alan Simonsen has died after a crash at the Le Mans 24 hour race.

http://www.ouest-fra...tous_filDMA.Htm

Hope you've got Chrome because you'll need its auto-translate tool.

I got the news link from Wikipedia which is also reporting him as dead. All others I can see online are still just saying he had a big accident.

If true, he's the first fatality at the event since Sebastien Enjolras died in pre-race practice in 1997.

• Like 1

On the subject of Le Mans, Mark Webber announced yesterday that he's quitting F1 to go and race for Porsche in endurance racing. It's worth bearing in mind that last time he attempted Le Mans, his car was withdrawn before the race after he ended up two separate back-flips in practice

463048082DAF719F2C51B66FA53EC.jpg

• Like 1