Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Lee Richardson; speedway rider. Mutterings in the British speedway community about how needless this accident was and how different safety barriers would have prevented it being fatal. Massive interna injuries after he hit metal hoardings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9v5py7jj3I

• Like 1

Two more racing passings lately - Gerard Pillon, who raced sportscars and in F2, was killed in a road accident, aged 75, last Saturday, whilst Ian Burgess, who started 16 Grand Prix's in the late 1950's and early 1960's died this morning, aged 81.

I liked this quote on the autosport forum web site today...

"AJ Foyt looks bad. There was a betting pool for which would expire first AJ or Jim Nabors."

I must say that I too watched a clip or two of AJ in the build-up programme that he looked quite unwell. How many more years he has in him is a prime question but I guess not many more than 10 for sure.

And meanwhile, Ross Brawn is talking up Michael Schumacher's performance last weekend and clearly suggesting the man who has started more F1 events than anyone else continues his career into 2013.

Paul Pietsch, the last surviving pre-war Grand Prix driver, the oldest (until recently) Grand Prix driver, the first Grand Prix driver to reach 100 years of age and a DDP pick for 2 teams, has died, aged 100 - http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/paul-pietsch-gestorben-der-gruender-der-motor-presse-ist-tot-5034459.html.

But I'm not sure if he'll get an obit - he's been dead a week, but also as Roy Salvadori now has a full obit in the Telegraph, it might need an Independent "Motor racing special" of Salvo, Burgess, Leston and Pietsch for it to be recognised in the UK press. All the proper obits are in German right now.

• Like 1

Jorge Lorenzo got taken out this weekend, very close to a full-scale calamity involving a few of the field on the opening lap.

It was a spectacularly dickish move from Bautista, what you don't see from this footage, but you saw on the telly, was his sweeping lunge from a few places back right into the corner, he was never going to make it, and rightfully he has been penalised by having to start at the back of the grid in the next race, and Lorenzo has been allowed a replacement engine without penalty, as you also don't see from this that Lorenzo's bike blew up - but both got straight up and were not injured, thankfully. Sadly it didn't involve that whinging buck-toothed fuck-knuckle Casey Stoner, although he did have a biggun in practice the other day, for which I will find footage and post it in the Room Lovely thread.

• Like 1

Sadly it didn't involve that whinging buck-toothed fuck-knuckle Casey Stoner

I see we share a "love" of that obnoxious wee cunt. I had the misfortune of being pitted next to him when he was about 15, I was goin to knock his fuck in until someone pointed out that I would be done for child abuse.

I see we share a "love" of that obnoxious wee cunt. I had the misfortune of being pitted next to him when he was about 15, I was goin to knock his fuck in until someone pointed out that I would be done for child abuse.

He is just such an unlikeable character, despite (and I hate to say it) being a pretty exceptional rider. He always has an excuse for when he doesn't win, or things don't go his way, he just doesn't like to accept that sometimes, someone else is better on the day. Arm pump, chatter, stomach ache, there's always something - if he could just show a little humility sometimes and admit 'yes, today Lorenzo/Pedrosa/whoever was better than me', then maybe I could show him a bit more respect - and of course, the 'obviously your ambition outweighed your talent' comment to Rossi just shows what a total twat he is. And don't get me started on how far up his ass Moody and Ryder are - there are other riders on the track you pair of ass-licking cock-knockers!

I'm glad he's retiring - it will open up the field a little more, although I think Lorenzo will now be the man to beat for the forseeable future. Although for next year, dependent on who offers him a ride, I would not count out our very own Crutchlow. He's got the fire in his belly that some of the others just don't have - it's all very well being a smart, calculating, precision rider, but you need that bit of mad-as-fuck in you, and he's got it, like Simoncelli before him.

Sorry, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent there - so to summarise, yes, I think Casey Stoner is a cunt.

Sorry, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent there - so to summarise, yes, I think Casey Stoner is a cunt.

He speaks very highly of you.

He is just such an unlikeable character, despite (and I hate to say it) being a pretty exceptional rider. He always has an excuse for when he doesn't win, or things don't go his way, he just doesn't like to accept that sometimes, someone else is better on the day. Arm pump, chatter, stomach ache, there's always something - if he could just show a little humility sometimes and admit 'yes, today Lorenzo/Pedrosa/whoever was better than me', then maybe I could show him a bit more respect - and of course, the 'obviously your ambition outweighed your talent' comment to Rossi just shows what a total twat he is. And don't get me started on how far up his ass Moody and Ryder are - there are other riders on the track you pair of ass-licking cock-knockers!

I'm glad he's retiring - it will open up the field a little more, although I think Lorenzo will now be the man to beat for the forseeable future. Although for next year, dependent on who offers him a ride, I would not count out our very own Crutchlow. He's got the fire in his belly that some of the others just don't have - it's all very well being a smart, calculating, precision rider, but you need that bit of mad-as-fuck in you, and he's got it, like Simoncelli before him.

The comment to Rossi did anger me as the only time he raced over here he tried to take a corner 30 mph too quick and went arse over tit then beat the shit out of the bike with his crash helmet as if it was to blame. The next day he was kind enough to empty the tanks of his motorhome flooding us, thats when I was going to show him another ues for a paddock stand!!!!!! :bat:

The next day he was kind enough to empty the tanks of his motorhome flooding us, thats when I was going to show him another ues for a paddock stand!!!!!! :bat:

Isn't a tyre iron the weapon of choice in such circumstances?

regards,

Hein

Spanish F1 test driver Maria de Villota has suffered life-threatening injuries in a crash during testing in Cambridgeshire. According to BBC Cambridgeshire presenter Chris Mann, who witnessed the crash:

"Strangely, the car suddenly accelerated into the lorry and the car went careering into the side of the loading board."

I don't think she'll be promoted to racing driver anytime soon.

regards,

Hein

Hi Lardy and One shot

may I say thanks for a top rant expression of opinion, cheared me up no end to have two people let loose on a subject they feel pasionate about. Not really into two wheeled roundy roundy stuff but I really enjoyed that. more please don't care about the subject just need some passion!

Best regards

Syd

Re de Villotta, I'd really appreciate OoO's inside knowledge on this. It may be a bit more than her not being promoted soon. What feels odd to me is that on her first session in an F1 car she hit a support vehicle.

S'cuse the cynicism but...is this a case of a cash-strapped team grabbing an unsuitable driver because she offered sponsorship and publicity options and, if so, was this an accident waiting to happen as soon as she was left in sole charge of that amount of power and a car that nervous?

Not having a go about women drivers. If I'm right about the above I also think Danica Patrick could have got into that car, done the session and walked away.

Maria, had done already several hundred km in an f1 car last year. It sounds more of an accident than anything else than her ability. Given her facial and head injuries I think some sensitivity is needed.

• Like 1

Re de Villotta, I'd really appreciate OoO's inside knowledge on this. It may be a bit more than her not being promoted soon. What feels odd to me is that on her first session in an F1 car she hit a support vehicle.

S'cuse the cynicism but...is this a case of a cash-strapped team grabbing an unsuitable driver because she offered sponsorship and publicity options and, if so, was this an accident waiting to happen as soon as she was left in sole charge of that amount of power and a car that nervous?

De Villota is an able enough driver, who, if we are going to compare with the increasing amount of female drivers in the top-level of the sport, certainly rates higher than Katherine Legge and Ana Beatriz. I'd say she's on a similar level as Simona de Silvestro, who bar a miserable Indianapolis 500, has delivered a number of worthy performances in the IRL over the last year.

In her favour, her father, Emilio (who she is the spitting image of, facial wise), was not only a F1 driver, but team boss and driver coach, so she has had that support and knowlesge more than some others. Against her is the fact that her surname alone has led to sponsorship in Spain, let alone the fact that she's female, so it doesn't give an impression of someone in for talent, more for the reasons MPFC notes above. However, Maldonado was seen as a "pay driver" and quashed that a few months ago.

But generally speaking, her performancs don't really merit a F1 drive, irrespective of today. It's worth noting that when Timo Glock was ill and had to miss the European Grand Prix, that de Villota was not an option at any stage, and also hadn't got the requirements necessary for a superlicence. I think she'd probably make a competitve driver in sportscars or touring cars though.

Sorry... short answer is... no, it appears more a freak accident than driver ability alone.

BautistaFair enough, first point taken, though OoO knows his stuff here and I'd appreciate his opinion. Re the other point..."Deathlist" and "sensitivity" usually combined in sentences about as often as Eric Pickles and Anorexia!

Add an edit to say I'm replying to Hatchet Man and during the typing of my reply OoO pulled the Bautista inside line and posted at the same time. Cheers OoO, I've got it now.

Does she still look like her dad?

Oh, my coat...

Really shocked by the nasty accident to Maria De Villota. Wish her well over the next few days to pull through and start to make a full recovery ASAP.