Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Mad race - been praying for the last two hours - to no avail in Dan's case.

Wonderfully talented driver - really really sad he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But it comes back to having too many cars on too tight a track that was too fast and provided too close type of racing. 220mph at upto "four car wide" racing on a track no more than 20 metres wide. Madness. I can't think of a worse crash since LeMans 1955.

Sad

Sad

Sad

RIP Dan

Utterly terrible news - I met the boy a few times and he was a very nice lad, remembered his racing roots when it was a struggle.

Something like this has been brewing, but to take the reigning Indy 500 champion is a huge shock.

RIP Dan.

*note to MPFC* - I know you're a fan of ill family members - Dan Wheldon's mum has early-onset dementia so may be one to consider. I think she's still in her 50's.

• Like 1

I feel so bad for dan wheldon , the accident was horrific i can't even think of what he went though . He has 2 very young children i feel really bad for them and his wife .

I heard he was only doing this race for charity is that true ??

• Like 1

Interview before Race

Completely out of context but almost his final words before the race were 'a great way to go out'. He was talking about the end of the Indy season.

Dan Wheldon's mum has early-onset dementia so may be one to consider. I think she's still in her 50's.

Uh-oh, so it's a ranter-fire risk, but the irony here is her son's death may have raised her chances of coverage as and when.

I feel so bad for dan wheldon , the accident was horrific i can't even think of what he went though . He has 2 very young children i feel really bad for them and his wife .

I heard he was only doing this race for charity is that true ??

-

Not really- there was a $5 million prize if anyone who was not a regular IRL driver won the race - of which, in the end, Wheldon was the only one to compete in. I suspect he would've kept some of the $5 million, but I think some would've gone towards dementia research amongst others, I'm sure.

Marco Simoncello has died following a serious crash at Malaysian Moto GP

Link

How it happened * footage of the accident.

Edited by Paul Bearer
link added.

Link

Fucking hell, that's horrendous. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Rossi announced his retirement tonight.

Link

Fucking hell, that's horrendous. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Rossi announced his retirement tonight.

Looks like the you tube police have removed the footage.so here's another bit of footage

Bad crash, the guys behind him had nowhere to go and when the helmet comes off it is always a bad sign.

A great loss to the sport.

BTW Are the other "Aliens" going on next year's list ? :rolleyes:

Razor

Link

Nor would I, the two of them were good friends. RIP Marco!

Link

This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy on shocking and disgusting content.

Poor show.

I always wonder why people are surprised at such fatalities. If you drive round and round in circles at high speeds with a bunch of other people driving round and round in circles at high speeds, there is a good chance you'll follow the example set by Princess Di's driver.

Link

This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy on shocking and disgusting content.

Poor show.

I always wonder why people are surprised at such fatalities. If you drive round and round in circles at high speeds with a bunch of other people driving round and round in circles at high speeds, there is a good chance you'll follow the example set by Princess Di's driver.

New link added showing exactly the same footage.

Sergio Scaglietti

"Sergio Scaglietti the man who designed and created the sleek bodies of the 250 Testa Rossa, 500 Mondial and many other famous Ferraris, has died aged 91 in Modena"

Come to think of it Octi, I know about the oldest European ex-racers (Pietsch, Frere, Rolt etc.) but who are the 80+ brigade on the USA scene. I know Lloyd Ruby and AJ Foyt are in their 70s but no really creaking oldies who remember the Brickyard when it really was bricks.

Bob Droeger (1916), Andy Granatelli (1923), Frank Beardsley (1926), Frank Burany (1915), Danny Kladis (1917) all drove at the Indianapolis 500 in the 1940's.

Jim Rathmann (1928), Neal Carter & Peter Hahn (both 1923), Roy Neuman (1927), Johnny Kay (1919), Don Freeland (1925) and Frank Munday (1916) all raced there pre 1955. There's a few more, but there's a noticeable gap as the late 50's, early 60's saw (and has seen) such a death toll that there's a small age gap until the likes of McElreath & Ruby.

Jim Rathmann has died. Couple of DDP picks.

Bring on the tribute, OoO.

Doing some research for 2012 I learned that former Dutch racing driver Gijs van Lennep will turn 70 next year. I found the following picture, presumably recent:

vanlennep.jpg

It shows that Jonkheer van Lennep still likes to do silly things. He looks fine, though.

regards,

Hein

RIP, "Jim". The last surviving driver of the 1950, 1952, 1953 and 1954 '500's has gone and a whole swathe of history with it.

Of that list above, only Granatelli, Burany and Carter remain. Only Granatelli would have an obit chance. Ruby's dead too. AJ Foyt, 76 and overweight is the best chance of another Indy 500 winner going, but he seems to have a strong constitution. Parnelli Jones is now the oldest surviving winner, aged 78, but having met him in July, he won't be dying before his 80th birthday, if not much longer.

Also someone who I don't see dying who was a potential DDP candidate and mentioned here by myself earlier this year was Dean Stoneman who has, although this report doesn't say it in so many words, beaten his cancer - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96421 and is back racing.

The Austin Healy, seen here safely navigating the early stages of the worst accident in motor racing history, was auctioned yesterday. I thought about putting in a bid, but didn't trust the blurb claiming "one careful owner."

• Like 1