Jump to content
Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

There are two strategies for the researchers, a. hoard the names or b. reveal names that either aren't that ill or those you know other contenders know about that either aren't worth a lot or has achieved a certain level of fame...

Or c.: Just report without "tactical" considerations because this is a forum after all.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Or c.: Just report without "tactical" considerations because this is a forum after all.

 

 

Yeah, and we get loads of reports and limited numbers of picks in the various deadpools

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the "burying you in suggestions" strategy... Guess it would have worked if I had picked Anita Shreve or Denise LaSalle (I reported them both last year, both recently died ... unpicked.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 11:30, gcreptile said:

Ah, the "burying you in suggestions" strategy... Guess it would have worked if I had picked Anita Shreve or Denise LaSalle (I reported them both last year, both recently died ... unpicked.)

Burying in 'Suggestions'?  I don't understand that logic in the least.  That is the exact thread I would expect to find 98% posts on living people, 80% probably posted cuz of a physical malady (the other 20% just age generally).
That is the very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very first thread I go back and review.  What -- you go thread by thread Joey?  LMAO.... now THAT'S work.  As stated before, I see something looks promising, I take a photo  of the monitor for safe keeping.  
As for Shreve I thank you gcreptile as I got a hit in my home DP that requires two authors/writers.  Sorry you didn't reap the rewards of your own post.   I'd have never dreamed she would kick it before Judy Blume (my other author).  
SC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James Hylton and his son died in a traffic accident leaving a race yesterday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 05:39, dirtracer18 said:

James Hylton and his son died in a traffic accident leaving a race yesterday

 

 

So, he joins the likes of Mike Hailwood (killed with his daughter driving to get fish and chips) and the first F1 world champ Giuseppe Farina (died in an accident on his way to a GP). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drag racer Randy Alexander died after a drag racing accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dirtracer18 said:

Drag racer Randy Alexander died after a drag racing accident.

 

 

Collided with his opponent - amazing one of them got out alive

 

message-editor%252F1525627598753-3196407

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And all that AFTER the actual race was completed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:06, Sir Creep said:

And all that AFTER the actual race was completed.  

 

 

Hmm - there's probably a few bits of idle chat to be enjoyed with regard to motor sports injuries and deaths occurring after the dangerous days of competition or dangerous racing hours are done. 

 

The first ever (1950) world champion in F1 - Giuseppe Farina - died crashing his Lotus Cortina on his way to watch the 1966 Belgian Grand Prix. He was still - sort of - driving F1 cars because he was driving Ferraris as the driving double for Yves Montandt in the movie Grand Prix which was being filmed around then. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assumed his skirt got caught in the wheels.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2018 at 13:17, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm - there's probably a few bits of idle chat to be enjoyed with regard to motor sports injuries and deaths occurring after the dangerous days of competition or dangerous racing hours are done. 

 

The first ever (1950) world champion in F1 - Giuseppe Farina - died crashing his Lotus Cortina on his way to watch the 1966 Belgian Grand Prix. He was still - sort of - driving F1 cars because he was driving Ferraris as the driving double for Yves Montandt in the movie Grand Prix which was being filmed around then. 

Surprised you haven't mentioned the first British F1 Champion, Mike Hawthorn. Won the championship in 1958 then retired because he didn't want to die racing cars. Died 3 months later on the A3.

 

And of course Sir Frank Williams, paralysed since a crash on his way back from Paul Ricard in 1986.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicky Hayden, MotoGP world champion and World Superbike rider was knocked off his pushbike and killed last year.  He was a great character and I have a ‘69’ sticker on my car in tribute 

EE13FDBD-EF93-474A-BF7B-5544734CB485.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Nicky Hayden, MotoGP world champion and World Superbike rider was knocked off his pushbike and killed last year.  He was a great character and I have a ‘69’ sticker on my car in tribute 

EE13FDBD-EF93-474A-BF7B-5544734CB485.jpeg

Yeah, admit it, it has fuck all to do with racing.:D

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Surprised you haven't mentioned the first British F1 Champion, Mike Hawthorn. Won the championship in 1958 then retired because he didn't want to die racing cars. Died 3 months later on the A3.

 

And of course Sir Frank Williams, paralysed since a crash on his way back from Paul Ricard in 1986.

 

 

Hawthorn had a health problem (kidneys I think) that meant his life was never going to be long. And, if I remember right he was sighted just before his fatal crash driving about as safely as James Dean

 

And he might have continued racing to the very end if you believe this story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/4125509/New-theory-emerges-50-years-after-Mike-Hawthorns-death.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacques Laffite has Parkinson's syndrome. "From time to time I have small tremors," he explained. The leg, it stiffens you a bit but I'm not there yet. I have Parkinson's syndrome, so that does not bother me. The 74-year-old former F1 driver says he continues to practice certain sports: "I play golf, I play tennis, I ski, I do everything. But hey it annoys me at times.

 

https://www.lequipe.fr/Formule-1/Actualites/Jacques-laffite-est-atteint-du-syndrome-de-parkinson/897468

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bladan said:

Jacques Laffite has Parkinson's syndrome. "From time to time I have small tremors," he explained. The leg, it stiffens you a bit but I'm not there yet. I have Parkinson's syndrome, so that does not bother me. The 74-year-old former F1 driver says he continues to practice certain sports: "I play golf, I play tennis, I ski, I do everything. But hey it annoys me at times.

 

https://www.lequipe.fr/Formule-1/Actualites/Jacques-laffite-est-atteint-du-syndrome-de-parkinson/897468

 

So the only change is the nickname, then

 

Used to be Jovial Jacques as I recall (well, certainly up to the point he broke both his legs at Brands Hatch)

 

I'm guessing it's more jiggling Jacques these days

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9-5-2018 at 22:23, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yeah, admit it, it has fuck all to do with racing.:D

No one but you could make that joke! :D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whitehouse said:

No one but you could make that joke! :D:D

Actually it was the first thing popped in my mind.  LFN got a 'like' for his effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sir Creep said:

Actually it was the first thing popped in my mind.  LFN got a 'like' for his effort.

I don't make a connection between "69" and Sir Creep. LFN on the other hand....

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitehouse said:

I don't make a connection between "69" and Sir Creep. LFN on the other hand....

True LFN is the guru of innuendo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whitehouse said:

No one but you could make that joke! :D:D

Lardy lets me get away with murder! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Lardy lets me get away with murder! :)

 

Twat:D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use