Pagad Ultimo

The Cardinals Of The Roman Catholic Church

Some statistics about Geraldo Majella Agnelo:

Brazilian, he was created Cardinal back in 2001 by John Paul II and he was one of the last 48 Cardinals created by J P II. With his death now there are 7 Brazilian Cardinals left (6 of them are electors)
He took part in both of the 
Papal conclave of this century (2005 and 2013).

• Like 1

Edit

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Louis Vitale (Wiki), Franciscan friar, peace activist, and a co-founder of Nevada Desert Experience dead at 91

Not a cardinal!!!

With today's consistory, the number of cardinal electors is now 137 - a record.  It will fall to 136 tomorrow (1 October) when Cardinal Patrick D'Rozairo turns 80.  By the end of the year, there will be 132 cardinal electors and without any deaths of cardinals below the age of 80, it will take until at least 24 December 2024 when Cardinal Oswald Gracias turns 80 (the unknown birthday of Cardinal John Njue given as simply '1944' means he will certainly be 80 by the end of 2024).  Pope Francis is making his mark on the College for the next 15 months without a doubt.

Why this is notable is that the total of 137 surpasses the previous records set by JPII in 2001 and 2003 and when with his 'superconsistories' he increased the number of cardinal electors to 135 in 2001 and again in 2003 from 109 to 135.  At the time, he stated he was setting aside the 120 limit. 

Given JPII's poor health at the time of these record numbers, Pope Francis' new record of 137, is his health going to see him make another consistory in 2025?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Evil Grimace said:

With today's consistory, the number of cardinal electors is now 137 - a record.  It will fall to 136 tomorrow (1 October) when Cardinal Patrick D'Rozairo turns 80.  By the end of the year, there will be 132 cardinal electors and without any deaths of cardinals below the age of 80, it will take until at least 24 December 2024 when Cardinal Oswald Gracias turns 80 (the unknown birthday of Cardinal John Njue given as simply '1944' means he will certainly be 80 by the end of 2024).  Pope Francis is making his mark on the College for the next 15 months without a doubt.

Why this is notable is that the total of 137 surpasses the previous records set by JPII in 2001 and 2003 and when with his 'superconsistories' he increased the number of cardinal electors to 135 in 2001 and again in 2003 from 109 to 135.  At the time, he stated he was setting aside the 120 limit. 

Given JPII's poor health at the time of these record numbers, Pope Francis' new record of 137, is his health going to see him make another consistory in 2025?

Many of these Cardinal Electors are in bad health, or could quickly be in bad health without much warning. I suspect that within the next year it will be far closer to 120 than we think.

100px-Coat_of_arms

Indian Roman Catholic cardinal, Telesphore Placidus Toppo, passed away today at the age of 83. 

• Like 4

On 11/07/2023 at 15:20, Spade_Cooley said:

Luis Antonio Tagle at 5/1 still seems the value bet to me.

I'm guessing those odds came from this website (last updated 14 July)?

Next Pope betting odds

Two Americans listed with Timothy Dolan 12/1  and Raymond Leo Burke 8/1.  Both are behind Canadian Mark Ouellet 7/1.

(Yes, I know I'm replying months late.  I was cleaning up browser tabs and bookmarks and remembered this;  the next post is the good one).

On 11/07/2023 at 22:20, Comped said:

Hoping Cardinal Ouellet myself. He's the best chance NA has for a Pope - we'll never see an American, as they're almost all linked too closely to the kiddie diddling scandals. Yes he's older, and has the sex lawsuit on hand (but the Vatican tossed the complaint out, and likely Quebec's courts will do so as well), but he's nearly become Pope at least twice, so he may be lucky next time...

Cardinal Ouellet has decent odds at 7/1, but his chances are rapidly diminishing.  He'll turn 80 on 8 June 2024, less than 8 months away.  

And don't I know it that he's almost been Pope before (Gambling on papal elections)....  I've used that betting slip as the bookmark to my copy of 'The Screwtape Letters' by C.S. Lewis.

IMG_2504.JPG

• Like 1

Im surprised that Robert Sarah is not on the list, he was always presented as the favorite choice of the conservatives.

On 12/07/2023 at 14:37, arghton said:

Theodore McCarrick "not fit to stand trial due to dementia"

Judge agrees and suspends trial of Theodore McCarrick. Decision to be reviewed at year end.

• Shocked 1

100px-Coat_of_arms

Italian Roman Catholic cardinal, Sergio Sebastiani, passed away today at the age of 92. 

• Like 6

Article on second-oldest cardinal Estanislao Esteban Karlic, now 98. His mobility has gotten worse and his memory is failing but when doing consecration he's still "always fully lucid". It's also mentioned that he survived a fall and cancer in 2017.

Edit: I missed this one, Panama Cardinal José Luis Lacunza disappeared some weeks ago, but has now returned and it was "just a prank".

• Like 1

Paul Josef Cordes, German cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, dead at 89.

• Like 4

Cardinal Wamala looking amazing for his age, after almost ten years on the brink of death.

image.png.5e894b0211a65b9eec17e8731a9da60c.png

Do Nascimento, Karlic and him have been fucking bedblockers for a while, after a period in which decrepit cardinals seemed to fall like flies.

Colombian cardinal Pedro Rubiano Saenz dead at 91.

• Like 3