InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

On 24/10/2023 at 02:47, arghton said:

2009: Raili Malmberg (1926-) former editor-in-chief of Kotiliesi and Koululainen, head of the Lotta Svärd Heritage Foundation 2004-2007.

Raili Malmberg dead.

• Like 2

On 20/03/2024 at 07:26, alt obits guy said:

Dick Higgins, a Navy radioman and one of the few remaining Pearl Harbor survivors, has died. He was 102. Higgins' amphibious plane was destroyed in the attack.

With Higgins’ death, only 22 veterans of the attack are known to be living, according to Kathleen Farley, the California chapter president with Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors, who has maintained the tally for years.

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2024-03-19/higgins-pearl-harbor-survivor-obituary-13368648.html

About time an updated census is given. I figured there were more survivors around than my list of eight, but 22 is decent considering the youngest survivors would be at least a 100 today.

On 28/11/2022 at 14:45, arghton said:

I was wondering if Iehiko Uji (correct spelling? japanese wiki) is still alive. Son of Prince Kuni Taka (1875-1937), born Prince Iehiko, renounced imperial title and created Count Uji, member of Japan's at-the-time upper house House of Peers from 1940 to 1942, lieutenant in WWII. If alive, he's 102 now and likely the last living member of Japan's House of Peers.

Japan has atleast ex-Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama. As far as I know Taro Nakayama isn't a WWII vet. Not sure if there are any others.

Germany has DDR ministers Hans Reichelt, Herbert Weiz, Werner Schmieder (not 100% sure if Schmieder and Weiz are alive), arguably also Hans Modrow. Ukraine has former Vice Prime Minister Ihor Yukhnovskyi.

Ihor Yukhnovskyi dead at 98.

• Like 2

Now this is a big claim. How long until we can disprove it?

The Voice reporting the death of Neil Flanigan MBE, 99, who they claim was the last veteran of World War II from the Caribbean.

In total there were over 10,000 personnel from the West Indies. Sure, not a huge amount, but I find it hard to believe that they're all gone already?

Edit: Ralph Ottey, 100, is from the Caribbean and is still living. Though he does live in the UK now. Perhaps there really are no WWII vets still living in the Caribbean.
2nd edit: There's also Ena Collymore-Woodatock, 106 – she's still living in Barbados. Starting to look like the article is making silly claims as I thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There are only 4 survivors of the 100th Bomb Group of the U.S 8th Air Force (unit featured in the TV series Masters Of The Air).

John "Lucky" Luckadoo (pilot in the 350th and 351st Bomb Squadrons)

James R. Rasmussen (navigator in the 349th Bomb Squadron)

Henry "Hank" Cervantes (pilot in the 349th Squadron)

Robert Wolff (served in the 418th Bombardment Squadron, was prisoner of war)

• Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 05:04, Ulitzer95 said:

Now this is a big claim. How long until we can disprove it?

The Voice reporting the death of Neil Flanigan MBE, 99, who they claim was the last veteran of World War II from the Caribbean.

In total there were over 10,000 personnel from the West Indies. Sure, not a huge amount, but I find it hard to believe that they're all gone already?

Edit: Ralph Ottey, 100, is from the Caribbean and is still living. Though he does live in the UK now. Perhaps there really are no WWII vets still living in the Caribbean.
2nd edit: There's also Ena Collymore-Woodatock, 106 – she's still living in Barbados. Starting to look like the article is making silly claims as I thought.

Interesting, I think there's many more ,

The Bahamas seems to have had four in 2022, atleast Vernon Pinder should be living:

wiiiimg.thumb.png.e4f8ebae2d2ca55f64a13280d8956498.png

Prince Albert Jacob, born in Trinidad, lives in the UK. He was interviewed a couple of times last year, likely still alive too. (Not part of the West Indies but Belize has some veterans living too, Rudolph Middleton recently turned 100)

• Like 3

On 28/03/2024 at 11:33, arghton said:

The Bahamas seems to have had four in 2022, atleast Vernon Pinder should be living:

wiiiimg.thumb.png.e4f8ebae2d2ca55f64a13280d8956498.png

In the latest issue of the document, published on 25 November 2023, three are living : Jones-Rickards, Pinder and Kellman.

But this article, published on 14 November 2023 says there are two survivors : Pinder and Kellman.

One sure thing : Jeremiah Neymour died in January 2023 a few days after his 100th birthday. The article also says there are two WW2 Bahamians Veterans left as well.

• Like 2

Thanks @Sinbabad

The Voice have now removed the original article about Neil Flanigan being the last WWII vet from the Caribbean and replaced it with a general piece about his death.

There were 27 years between the end of WWI and WWII.
It's "only" been 12 years since we lost the last WWI veteran in 2012.
The last living WWI vet from the Caribbean died in 2008, 16 years ago.
That still leaves us with a gap of 11 years. 
Worth noting that whilst 15,600 people from the West Indies served in WWI, only 10,000 did so during WWII, meaning that there is a smaller pool for this conflict.
So what do we reckon? 5 years maybe until the last Caribbean vet goes?

• Like 1

On 08/10/2023 at 17:27, The Immortal said:

Several Pearl Harbor survivors have died since my last update.

Bob Batterson died August 11th.

Joseph Eskenazi died September 9th.

Joseph Richard died September 27th.

With this in mind, these are the remaining survivors I know of.

Louis Conter (102) - USS Arizona survivor.

Ike Schab (103)

Herbert Elfring (100)

Horace Hamilton (99)

Sterling Cale (101)

Possibly alive?

Freeman Johnson (103) - No confirmation since 2021.

Right now 5 Pearl Harbor survivors I can confirm alive but let's wait for the Pearl Harbor anniversary to be sure, since that's when living survivors come up in the news.

Lou Conter reportedly dead: https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/news/lou-conter-last-living-uss-arizona-survivor-after-pearl-harbor-attack-dies-at-102/

Edit: DDP pick.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Harvey Gann, who was drafted into the Army Air Corps in 1942, became a top turret gunner on a B-24, was shot down over Italy, became a Prisoner of War, then escaped 30 days later, has died. He was 103. Gann would later author the 1995 book 'Escape I Must: World War II Prisoner of War in Germany', about his wartime experiences.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/ww2-army-veteran-dies-texas-harvey-gann/269-3b204094-2128-42ed-93ae-e484f40ab9ce

• Like 2

Rear Admiral John Roberts CB (wikiturned 100 yesterday. Pics and videos in link with the man himself. Looks okay.

Joined the Royal Navy at 13. D-Day veteran and an incredible naval career. QO 100% assured.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Rear Admiral John Roberts CB (wikiturned 100 yesterday. Pics and videos in link with the man himself. Looks okay.

Joined the Royal Navy at 13. D-Day veteran and an incredible naval career. QO 100% assured.

Certainly. His birthday has gotten local BBC coverage. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 23:44, arghton said:

Mentioning Eero Blåfield, 101-year-old WWII vet, HIFK superfan, oldest member of the Blåfield noble family who I remember was in the news once over a decade ago due to his senior badminton career. Looks quite frail now

On 03/12/2022 at 17:56, arghton said:

The President of Finland invited some veterans and Lotta Svärd members to the Presidential Palace a couple of days ago. 

Some of the people who attended:

Eero Blåfield, 101: Actually mentioned him just a while ago on the previous page! He attended, now in a motorized wheelchair, but looked great otherwise.

Helka Visuri, 100

Eila Karhula, 95

Fazlulla Fethulla, 98

Otto Virkki, 98

Väinö Aronen, 99

Algot Roos, 99

Unto Hakuli, 99

veterans.thumb.jpg.77a1da0a4e26225561244a43c111664c.jpg

Eero Blåfield dead at 102. Expected considering his age, but still sad news. It's been 84 years since the Winter War, the remaining veterans are around Blåfield's age. No idea how many are still alive.

• Like 6

On 07/12/2023 at 11:11, Alex B said:

Albert Van Raemdonck [Free Belgian Forces].

(1916-)

Albertus Van Raemdonck was the oldest man in Belgium, born on 6 July 1916 and died on 21 April 2024 in East Flanders
With his death Benedictus Bellens, born on 18 Nov 1916 and living in Antwerp, became the oldest man in Belgium

Faleceu o veterano belga mais velho Albert Van Raemdonck (107) | De Morgen

albert-van-raemdonck-in-2022

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Walter Nixon dead at 101. BBC obit.
Bill Gladden dead at 100. BBC obit.

Full Beeb obits for WWII vets becoming ever more common. There hasn't been an estimate on numbers released since 2019, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was now less than 50,000 across the whole of the Commonwealth.

• Like 4