Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

.....Coolest thing I saw was his email address at MIT:  demon@mit.edu

Excellent! 

• Like 1

Architectural historian David Watkin has reportedly died aged 77-78. No confirmation yet.

Gail O’Day, former dean of the Wake Forest University School of Divinity in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, died Sept. 22, nearly four years after the onset of symptoms later diagnosed as a glioblastoma brain tumor, the type of aggressive cancer that recently took the life of Sen. John McCain.  O’Day, 63, stepped down in June from the post she inherited from founding dean Bill Leonard in 2010. She continued full time as dean for two years after her first brain surgery in 2015, integrating her treatments into her daily routines. Six weeks after her second surgery in 2017, she led her last hooding and commencement ceremonies.
SC

Amy Chua, controversial Yale professor and author of "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" hospitalised for unknown reasons and canceling all teaching for the semester:

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/09/controversial-yale-law-school-professor-hospitalized-out-for-the-semester/

Is it something really bad? Or maybe it has to do with her being under investigation for "grooming" young female law clerks for alleged Supreme Rapist Brett Kavanaugh?

William Kays, former dean of Stanford School of Engineering, professor of mechanical engineering, D-Day veteran and Cardinal football fan, died Sept. 9 in Palo Alto. He was 98.

William Kays led the School of Engineering from 1972 to 1984, and served as dean of Stanford Engineering from 1972 to 1984.
SC

Dr. Peter J. Fagan, a former priest and a clinical psychologist who had been director of the Sexual Behaviors Consultation Unit at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, died Saturday from multiple myeloma at his Fulton residence. He was 77.
SC

G.D. Agarwal, a former professor at the Indian Institute of Technology and a prolific environmental engineer, has died.  He was 87.  Agarwal had been on a near-four month hunger strike prior to his death.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/dehradun/on-fast-unto-death-to-save-ganga-professor-gd-agarwal-dies-at-87/articleshow/66163741.cms

On 11/10/2018 at 06:48, alt obits guy said:

Mary Midgley, a British moral philosopher and Emeritus at Newcastle University, has died.  She was 99.

https://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=PHILOS-L%3B27d318e2.1810&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A DDP hit, too.

Now complete with QO

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/oct/12/mary-midgley-obituary

Robert Uretz, a professor of biophysics at what is now the University of Chicago Medicine, shifted from his career teaching science to becoming a top administrator as dean of the Pritzker School of Medicine of the Biological Sciences Division of the University of Chicago.

Uretz, 94, died Sept. 14 of congestive heart failure.

SC

Althea Douglas, whose costume design career was forsaken for one in academics & research at McGill University and the Dr. Wilder Penfield Collection at the Montreal Neurological Institute before morphing to a prominent one in genealogy, has died.  She was 90.

http://ottawacitizen.remembering.ca/obituary/althea-douglas-1070901343

Unconfirmed reports (Twitter chatter) that noted sociologist & Harvard Professor of Sociology and Public Policy Devah Pager has died at age 47.

10 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Unconfirmed reports (Twitter chatter) that noted sociologist & Harvard Professor of Sociology and Public Policy Devah Pager has died at age 47.

Confirmed.

• Like 1

"Tragic passing", hmm.... also, I see Pager being mentioned in relation to the Judge Kavanaugh hearings...

On 24/03/2018 at 11:32, DevonDeathTrip said:

Lawrence Sáez, professor in the political economy of Asia at the School of African and Oriental Studies, University of London, has been in the news this week after he was assaulted for crossing a picket line of striking lecturers.  The Daily Mail quote him as saying:

"Over the last two years I have been a cancer patient... frankly, I'm not sure how long I have left. I try to enjoy life to the fullest and I get a great deal of enjoyment from my work."

The  Mail also helpfully mentions that his latest round of chemotherapy had failed.  This article from the TES from 2016 confirms that Saez had a diagnosis of stage IV colon cancer...

Whether any of that will translate to a UK obit, I couldn't say.

A University of London professor so likely good enough for Deathrace points even on the day of a bus bombing, or summat - the academic/trade press would step up.

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

A University of London professor so likely good enough for Deathrace points even on the day of a bus bombing, or summat - the academic/trade press would step up.

Well, not for 2019 though...

Wee story. The name Devah Pager has been tormenting me for the last 2 days and I have figured out why.

I wrote her name in an exam.

It was for a Modern Studies exam about a year and a half ago. 25% of the marks came from an essay on a British or American issue, so I chose "racial discrimination in the USA". The bulk of the essay referred to a study showing that job applicants with 'black-sounding' names were as disadvantaged as white criminals applying for the same job. Well, that study was conducted by one Devah Pager!

Getting full marks on the essay bumped my grade, thanks to her. Would never have known if I hadn't searched for her cause of death (pancan).

• Like 4

Mike Dugaw, who taught for almost four decades at Lower Columbia College and directed the nationally recognized Fighting Smelt Speech and Debate team, died Friday at the age of 72 after battling heart trouble for more than 10 years.
SC

David Wilson Henderson, professor emeritus of mathematics, died Dec. 20 in Newark, Delaware, from injuries suffered when he was struck by a vehicle (the day prior) in a pedestrian crosswalk in Bethany Beach, Delaware. He was 79.
SC

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Soon after "demonstrating" Riemann hypothesis, a fact that made it clear he was completely out of his mind.

What a great name!  Of COURSE he was going to be a mathematician!  

Arunas Liulevicius taught mathematics for 50 years at the University of Chicago, where he twice earned the school’s Llewellyn John and Harriet Manchester Quantrell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching.  Liulevicius, 84, died of complications of Lewy body dementia in NHC Place Farragut in Knoxville, Tenn.   

Liulevicius was born in 1934 in Sakiai, Lithuania, where both his parents taught in the local high school. In 1944, the family fled Lithuania, eventually living in displaced persons camps in Germany after the end of World War II, his son said. In 1949, they came to the U.S., settling in Chicago.

SC