Davey Jones' Locker

Celebrity Chefs

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

Alumnus.  Singular.  A female would be an alumna.

Which prompts me to wonder if we would get into trouble over using these m/f variations nowadays.

Alum solves the issue.

There's language development for everything, as it should be. 

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

Alumnus.  Singular.  A female would be an alumna.

Which prompts me to wonder if we would get into trouble over using these m/f variations nowadays.

Although "and another" in that sentence means they are not a singular person in the sense Bibliogryphon is using, and therefore "alumni" is an understandable alternative (as in several Strictly alumni have now died), but that's another whole can of worms entirely and remember the golden rule of grammar: clarity is king. Or queen. 

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Although "and another" in that sentence means they are not a singular person in the sense Bibliogryphon is using, and therefore "alumni" is an understandable alternative (as in several Strictly alumni have now died), but that's another whole can of worms entirely and remember the golden rule of grammar: clarity is king. Or queen.

I think the sense of "another" in that sentence is singular as compared with   "and another of the Strictly Come Dancing Alumni" which is explicitly plural.

To bring this back to topic, it is very sad. I hadn't read too much into the specifics but assumed because he was back on the road with Si, then he was on the mend. Could easily have lost Si too a decade ago with the brain tumour. Seem like really nice blokes who clearly enjoy each other's company very much and love food. A gentle soul. Rest in Peace, Dave.

• Like 3

Went long on him because I didn't think anywhere that had covered his illness was a Yahoo loophole route. We shall see.

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Went long on him because I didn't think anywhere that had covered his illness was a Yahoo loophole route. We shall see.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks of YAHOO as a LOOPHOLE

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I didn't go for him - not for that reason as proved with K Cavanagh - but because his terminal cancer was manageable and not one of those serious ones. 

I'm as shocked as one can be with the death of someone with terminal cancer.

I'm still hopeful one day I will open this thread and it will be Jiro Ono dead.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Am I missing something? He died last year.

Damn, yahoo keeps dredging up old deaths, or google news does through yahoo... at least, it hadnt been posted before.

• Like 1