Davey Jones' Locker

Celebrity Chefs

On 10/12/2022 at 12:39, arghton said:

Only one of the original Iron Chefs is dead. It's been 29 years since it premiered and 23 years since it ended. The living ones are aged 66-91

(Iron Chef meaning the original Japanese television cooking show - Not the UK one, the US one, the Canadian one, etc. The Iron Chefs in those shows are also much younger.)

They were:

Chen Kenichi (1956) Iron Chef Chinese 1993-1999

Yutaka Ishinabe (1948) Iron Chef French I, 1993

Hiroyuki Sakai (1942) Iron Chef French II, 1994-1999

Masahiko Kobe (1969-2019) Iron Chef Italian 1997-1999

Rokusaburo Michiba (1931) Iron Chef Japanese I, 1993-1996. He has an active youtube account.

Koumei Nakamura (1947) Iron Chef Japanese II, 1996-1998.

Masaharu Morimoto (1955) Iron Chef Japanese III, 1998-1999. Later appeared in the US Iron Chef.

Chen Kenichi being reported dead of interstitial pneumonia aged 67: https://www-nikkansports-com.translate.goog/entertainment/photonews/photonews_nsInc_202303140000157-1.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

• Like 4

On 17/01/2023 at 10:53, msc said:

Hairy Bikers latest show cancelled as Dave Myers still recovering. "OK in the circumstances" he says. Given in recent interviews he's said both that his prognosis is fine and that he didn't think he'd see Christmas, I pity any hair left for anyone who picked him.

On 17/01/2023 at 11:29, Grim Up North said:

I saw him in a show the other night - looked to me like someone who was continuing doing what he does because that's been his life but looked ill - I could imagine he's on the way out.

Dave Myers has talked of the toll his treatment is taking: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/hairy-biker-dave-myers-reveals-29586841

Hairy Bikers star Dave Myers has revealed the gruelling toll chemotherapy has taken on him

• Sad 2

Raghavan Iyer, a tireless promoter of Indian cuisine dies at 61:

https://m.startribune.com/cookbook-author-and-teacher-raghavan-iyer-dead-at-61/600263703/

He had announced his cancer not too long ago and his death comes a little sudden, having been very active until the end.

• Like 2

Celebrity chef and television personality Jock Zonfrillo, known primarily for appearing as a judge on MasterChef Australia, died at 46 years:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/01/jock-zonfrillo-death-masterchef-australia-judge-chef-dies-aged-46

His former restaurant, Orana, was named Restaurant of the Year by Gourmet Traveller Magazine, and it was also named Australia's Restaurant of the Year by the Good Food Guide before it's eventual closing in October 2020. In 2018, he was named Australia's Hottest Chef in The Australian magazine. His nonprofit, The Orana Foundation, won the coveted Basque Culinary World Prize in July 2018.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Celebrity chef and television personality Jock Zonfrillo, known primarily for appearing as a judge on MasterChef Australia, died at 46 years:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/01/jock-zonfrillo-death-masterchef-australia-judge-chef-dies-aged-46

His former restaurant, Orana, was named Restaurant of the Year by Gourmet Traveller Magazine, and it was also named Australia's Restaurant of the Year by the Good Food Guide before it's eventual closing in October 2020. In 2018, he was named Australia's Hottest Chef in The Australian magazine. His nonprofit, The Orana Foundation, won the coveted Basque Culinary World Prize in July 2018.

A Jock Shock indeed! 

I rather liked him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Saw a poster up for a food festival in Leamington Spa where Si King was appearing - by himself.....

Yeah I work in Leamington. £55 a ticket though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Saw a poster up for a food festival in Leamington Spa where Si King was appearing - by himself.....

Sadly, he 's now the no Hairy Biker!

I like him a lot and wish him a very speedy recovery.

Malaysian "celebrity superstar" (and chef) Chef Wan (65) diagnosed with lymphoma, but apparently discovered early.

Quote from the article: “My doctor said that I will start to lose my hair (omg i can start already imagining myself in different fabulous wigs after this treatment, Elvis, M. Daud Kilau style, Samy Velu, Liberace and many more! It will be so funny).”

Nico Ladenis, one of the first self-taught chefs to obtain three Michelin Stars, reportedly dead aged 89: 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Dave Myers update: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/bbc-hairy-bikers-dave-myers-27740206

What's that advert for a funeral service which shows the guy riding around on his motorbike? Is it the Co-op?

Well, it's like that.

That report is unashamedly a transcript of social media posts.

• Like 2

Just now, Toast said:

That report is unashamedly a transcript of social media posts.

Annoyingly common now. Any terminal celeb can post a picture on Instagram, health related or not, and it'll generate many "X issues new update amid cancer battle" headlines. 

All about the clicks, which I imagine a lot of them are generated from the users that frequent here!

Michael Chiarello, who was a Food Network regular in the 2000s and early 2010s before sexual assault allegations derailed his career, dead from anaphylactic shock aged 61. Was on the all-star season 4 of "The Next Iron Chef" in an attempt to wear the IC apron, further to discussion upthread, but lost to Geoffrey Zakarian (as well as future IC Alex Guarnaschelli).

• Like 1

Daniel Redondo died at the age of 46, he was one of the founders of the Mani restaurant in São Paulo, (one of the most traditional in Brazil), participated in Reality Masterchef in Brazil and was currently chef at El Celler de Can Roca in Spain, he was Catalan
Died from traffic accident

Helena Rizzo lamenta morte do ex-marido, o chef catalão Daniel Redondo | CNN Brasil

Morre Daniel Redondo, aos 46 anos, cofundador do Maní ao lado de Helena Rizzo

Hairy Biker Dave Myers has returned to TV, but in this fluff piece for The Mirror he says:

“It was emotional, but there were no tears. We wanted it to be a celebration that 18 months since my diagnosis I’m still here. I’ve done a series with my best mate, we’re back on the bikes, we’ve written a new book… We’ve had a bloody good time."

Which doesn't sound very optimistic to me.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Hairy Biker Dave Myers has returned to TV, but in this fluff piece for The Mirror he says:

Which doesn't sound very optimistic to me.

Even his appearance in the Knorr stockpot ads is well, it's like the director said let's edge him out as much as possible.

I mean, he's not one for my teams next year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has a year left tbh.

• Like 3

Glad someone else noticed that about the Knorr adverts, was worried it was just me seeing the world through a deadpool filter. But yeah, it's like he's trying to get himself into shot while the camera focuses on the other, non-dying biker.

• Like 1

I noticed it too. In their shows, Dave tends to be the main guy on the screen while Si’s doing something else until they cut to him. Knorr advert was a bit jarring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

South African online celebrity chef Fatima Sydow has died at 50:

https://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/492218/beloved-cape-town-chef-fatima-sydow-dies-after-long-cancer-battle

Bit of an early death for my teams.

The missus is a fan and said  the show was fairly honest about his chemo and neuropathy, they got him back on a bike which was clearly emotional for everyone. 

Nowt much for the form studiers other than the sight of a man who's clearly been ill heading back to health. Very non-specific on the details.