Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

Did watch Münchhausen today. It was a good way to spend a cold and overcast afternoon. It's cleverly made and certainly amusing at times. I particularly liked the Turkish watch.

The film shows its age. That made me think: I'm almost two decades younger than it, but film changed quite a bit in that time. Even in the 50s costume productions didn't go out of fashion, but in the 60s they did.

Now that we're on the subject of German flicks: Another German director that came to mind is Wim Wenders. I've seen several of his films, and even liked a few of them. At 69 he's still working, so I think he'll be around for a while, but I intend to keep an eye on his health.

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

Hey! Since I've had a Swedish hit on my main team 2 years in a row, I'll compile a list of old Swedes that are somewhat notable.

*Under construction*

Egon Sundberg (February 27, 1911): The oldest living Swedish footballer. He played as a left winger in a team in the top league. However, he didn't get any caps in the national team.

Ingeborg Sjöqvist (April 19, 1912): The oldest living Swedish athlete to have competed in the Olympics. She was a diver in the 1932 & 1936 editions.

Ebbe Grimsland (June 11, 1915): Swedish musician, mainly as a violin and mandolin player. He's made more than 200 compositions. Don't know his current health status.

Carl-Henrik Hermansson (December 14, 1917): Political leader for the then called Communist Party of Sweden. Praised Stalin at the time of his death, something he later regretted. His wife died in 2001. Don't know his current health status.

Guje Lagerwall (January 13, 1918): Small-scale actress whose notability comes from the fact that she's the daughter of the famous movie director Victor Sjöström. Don't know her current health status, probably not even obitable anyways.

Gunnel Vallquist (June 19, 1918): Author and translator who is a member of the Swedish Academy (you know, the ones who decide who wins the Nobel Prize in litterature). Don't know her current health status.

Eva Henning (May 10, 1920): Actually born in United States, but appeared in many Swedish films in the 1940s and 1950s. They were mostly directed by her husband Hasse Ekman, a.k.a. one of the greatest Swedish directors of all time. Eva appearently lives in Norway nowadays.

Barbro Hiort af Ornäs (August 28, 1921): Actress who won an award for "Best Actress" in the 1958 Cannes Film Festival. Ok, three other Swedes did as well, but only she and Bibi are still alive. Don't know her current health status.

Olof Hanner (July 12 or December 7, 1922): Mathematician who created many formulas that I don't understand enough to explain here. Except that he helped develope the board game Go! Don't know his current health status.

Ulf Grenander (July 23, 1923): Another highly accomplished mathematician. Here's a book he published just recently in 2012: http://www.amazon.co...t=relevancerank

Not sure if he's living abroads at the moment.

• Like 1

I guess if most of the cast of Munchausen are gone, we could look even further back at the old "Bergfilme" (mountain film genre) of the 1930s and 1920s and see if any one from then is still hanging on (although this is very unlikely).

(Mountain films were like the German version of westerns and are adventures set in alpine regions, featuring lots of skiing and mountain climbing action. Most notoriously, Leni Riefnestahl was involved in the genre before she became a Nazi propagandist.)

Hey! Since I've had a Swedish hit on my main team 2 years in a row, I'll compile a list of old Swedes that are somewhat notable.

*Under construction*

Egon Sundberg (February 27, 1911): The oldest living Swedish footballer. He played as a left winger in a team in the top league. However, he didn't get any caps in the national team.

Ingeborg Sjöqvist (April 19, 1912): The oldest living Swedish athlete to have competed in the Olympics. She was a diver in the 1932 & 1936 editions.

Ebbe Grimsland (June 11, 1915): Swedish musician, mainly as a violin and mandolin player. He's made more than 200 compositions. Don't know his current health status.

Carl-Henrik Hermansson (December 14, 1917): Political leader for the then called Communist Party of Sweden. Praised Stalin at the time of his death, something he later regretted. His wife died in 2001. Don't know his current health status.

Guje Lagerwall (January 13, 1918): Small-scale actress whose notability comes from the fact that she's the daughter of the famous movie director Victor Sjöström. Don't know her current health status, probably not even obitable anyways.

Gunnel Vallquist (June 19, 1918): Author and translator who is a member of the Swedish Academy (you know, the ones who decide who wins the Nobel Prize in litterature). Don't know her current health status.

Eva Henning (May 10, 1920): Actually born in United States, but appeared in many Swedish films in the 1940s and 1950s. They were mostly directed by her husband Hasse Ekman, a.k.a. one of the greatest Swedish directors of all time. Eva appearently lives in Norway nowadays.

Barbro Hiort af Ornäs (August 28, 1921): Actress who won an award for "Best Actress" in the 1958 Cannes Film Festival. Ok, three other Swedes did as well, but only she and Bibi are still alive. Don't know her current health status.

Olof Hanner (July 12 or December 7, 1922): Mathematician who created many formulas that I don't understand enough to explain here. Except that he helped develope the board game Go! Don't know his current health status.

Ulf Grenander (July 23, 1923): Another highly accomplished mathematician. Here's a book he published just recently in 2012: http://www.amazon.co...t=relevancerank

Predictor, do you anything about the state of Lisbet Palme's health? ,

*Under construction*

I think Eva Henning could get a UK Obit cause she was in a few Bergman films. Some of the others I am not so sure.

NAME BORN NATIONALITY REASON

Pola Illery 1908 Romanian Elderly

Paulette Dubost 1910 French Elderly

Brigitte Borchert 1910 German Elderly

Lupita Tovar 1910 Mexican Elderly

Luise Rainer 1910 German Elderly

Annalisa Ericson 1913 Swedish Elderly

Marina von Ditmar 1914 Baltic-German Elderly

Vera Gebuhr 1916 Danish Elderly

Lisbeth Movin 1917 Danish Elderly

Danielle Darrieux 1917 French Elderly

Barbro Kollberg 1917 Swedish Elderly

Isuzu Yamadam 1917 Japanese Elderly

Clara Auteri 1918 Italian Elderly

Guje Lagerwall 1920 Swedish Elderly

Eva Henning 1920 Swedish Elderly

Setsuko Hara 1920 Japanese Elderly

Yoshiko Ōtaka 1920 Japanese Elderly

Michèle Morgan 1920 French Elderly

Barbro Hiort af Ornäs 1921 Swedish Elderly

Dora Doll 1922 French Elderly

Anne Vernon 1924 French Elderly

Machiko Kyō 1924 Japanese Elderly

Ruth Leuwerik 1924 German Elderly

Annemarie Duringer 1925 Swiss Elderly

Sonja Ziemann 1926 German Elderly

Jacqueline Pagnol 1926 French Elderly

Keiko Tsushima 1926 Japanese Elderly

Emmanuelle Riva 1927 French Elderly

Inga Landgré 1927 Swedish Elderly

Gina Lollobrigida 1927 Italian Elderly

Juliette Greco 1927 French Elderly

Jeanne Moreau 1928 French Elderly

Liselotte Pulver 1929 Swiss Elderly

Fernanda Montenegro 1929 Brazilian Elderly

Ruth Maria Kubitschek 1931 Czech Elderly

Marianne Koch 1931 German Elderly

Annie Girardot 1931 French Elderly/Alzheimer's

Francois Arnoul 1931 French Elderly

Leslie Caron 1931 French Elderly

Nicole Courcel 1931 French Elderly

Monica Vitti 1931 Italian Elderly/Alzheimer's

Lucia Bose 1931 Italian Elderly

Margarita Lozano 1931 Spanish Elderly

Silvia Pinal 1931 Mexican Elderly

Anita Ekberg 1931 Swedish Elderly

Harriet Andersson 1932 Swedish Elderly

Stephane Audran 1932 French Elderly

Nathalie Pascaud ???? French Elderly

Brigitte Bardot 1934 French Political views/Elderly

Sophia Loren 1934 Italian Elderly

Bibi Andersson 1935 Swedish Elderly

Mylene Demongeot 1935 French Elderly

Ursula Andress 1936 Swiss

Norma Alejandro 1936 Argentine

Carry Tefson 1938 Dutch

Liv Ullmann 1938 Swedish

Claudia Cardinale 1938 Italian

Ann-Margret 1941 Swedish

Catherine Deneuve 1943 French "Curse" of the Last Metro :D

Sylvia Kristel 1952 Dutch Lung cancer

Emmanuelle Béart 1963 French Ex-Lover suicided

Beatrice Dalle 1964 French Relationship with violent criminal

Emmanuelle Seigner 1966 French Kinky lifestyle/stress of being Mrs Polanski

Marion Cotillard 1975 French Death threats

ACTORS

Johannes Heesters 1903 Dutch Elderly

Herbert Lom 1917 Czech Jew Elderly

George Gaynes 1917 Finnish Elderly

Louis Jourdan 1921 French Elderly

Michel Galabru 1922 French Elderly

Roger Hanin 1925 French Elderly

Jean d'Ormesson 1925 French Elderly

Karlheinz Bohm 1928 German Elderly

Aleksey Batalov 1928 Russian Elderly

Max von Sydow 1929 Swedish Elderly

Maximillian Schell 1930 Austrian Elderly

Jean Rochefort 1930 French Elderly

Michael Lonsdale 1931 French Elderly

Jean-Paul Belmondo 1933 French Elderly

Alain Delon 1935 French Organised crime connections

Zdenek Sverak 1936 Czech Already gone beyond the average life expectancy for a Czech!

Johnny Hallyday 1943 French Colon cancer/botched operation

Rutger Hauer 1944 Dutch Magere Hein's favourite

Jeroen Krabbe 1944 Dutch

Gerard Depardieu 1944 French Grossly obese

DIRECTORS/PRODUCERS/ETC

Wolfgang Suschitzky 1912 Austro-Hungarian Elderly

Kaneto Shindo 1912 Japanese Elderly

Gabriel Axel 1918 Danish Elderly

Miklós Jancsó 1921 Hungarian Elderly

Chris Marker 1921 French Elderly

Alain Resnais 1922 French Elderly

Francesco Rosi 1922 Italian Elderly

Seijun Suzukzi 1923 Japanese Elderly

Franco Zeffirelli 1923 Italian Elderly

Andrez Wajda 1926 Polish Elderly

Lina Wertmuller 1926 Italian Elderly

Agnes Varda 1928 French Elderly

Edouard Molinaro 1928 French Elderly

Jacques Rivette 1928 French Elderly

Pierre "Monsieur Cinema" Tchernia 1928 French Elderly

Alejandro Jodorowsky 1929 Chilean Elderly

Paolo Taviani 1929 Italian Elderly

Jesse Franco 1930 Spanish Elderly

Jean-Luc Godard 1930 French Elderly

Masahiro Shinoda 1931 Japanese Elderly

Ermanno Olmi 1931 Italian Elderly

Vittorio Taviani 1931 Italian Elderly

George Sluizer 1932 Dutch Elderly

Carlos Saura 1932 Spanish Elderly

Jerzy Hoffman 1932 Polish Elderly

Roman Polanski 1933 Polish Jew Perverted lifestyle

Updated with all the new suggestions in this thread and the 2015 suggestions one.

Guest j.

You need to remove Sluizer, he died earlier this year...

Here are some more Foreign Directors in the 80+ range who would net a UK Obit

Ivan Passer b. 1933 Czech Republic

Manoel de Oliveira b. 1909 Portugal

Costa-Gavras b. 1933 Greece

Dusan Mukavejev b. 1932 Serbia

Tinto Brass b. 1933 Italy --also Obese

• Like 1

Tinto Brass b. 1933 Italy --also Obese

Where's that?

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

Italian actress Virna Lisi dies aged 78.

http://www.thedailyb...come-a-spy.html

Just found this.... about Donatas Banionis, one of the year's more obscure but still-noted deaths, a former Soviet-era actor (more famous for an extremely long 1972 sci-fi movie called "Solaris").

Apparently he may be "responsible" for giving us Putin - because young Vlad saw him in a spy movie in 1968 and was "inspired" to join the KGB.

Just found this.... about Donatas Banionis, one of the year's more obscure but still-noted deaths, a former Soviet-era actor (more famous for an extremely long 1972 sci-fi movie called "Solaris").

... which just happens to be my favourite film of all time. Wow, this is the saddest death of the year for me, by far. :( :( :(

Of the main cast of Solaris, only Natalya Bondachurk is still left now. What a sad note on which to end the year. :( :( :( :( :(

... which just happens to be my favourite film of all time. Wow, this is the saddest death of the year for me, by far. :( :( :(

Looks like you're on the other side of the world from me in more ways than one then. :mellow::huh:

Looks like you're on the other side of the world from me in more ways than one then. :mellow::huh:

Not a fan of it? Have you tried the US remake with Clooney?

Not a fan of it? Have you tried the US remake with Clooney?

Fuck's sake man. You know how to make a big hole bigger dont ya? You're asking me if I watched a George Clooney film. Or asking me to watch one. No of course I haven't fucking seen it!

You're lucky we aren't in the same room, I think that remark is one of the few things that could empower a weedy pommy fuck like me to deck a beer-chugging Aussie like you! :D

• Like 2

Italian actress Virna Lisi dies aged 78.

I just belatedly realised she was the actress who played Catherine de Medici in La Reine Margot, another of my favourite films. :( :( :(