Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

Your remoteness goes against you straight away. You are staring at mid table ranking at most. Better hope your song is good because "null-point" has been achieved quite a few times.

Not to mention that that very remoteness rather makes a mockery of "Euro"vision song contest, at least if not technically in Europe most have been geographically close. Not that it has ever been much more than a thinly veiled exercise in politics anyway imo. As alluded to above with the local neighbours thing. reference

Looking at the attached map it seems to indicate that Libya is a member of the EBU.

• Like 1

Well Israel have been in it 37 times....but Australia truly banishes the geography to the dustbin really.

Well Israel have been in it 37 times....but Australia truly banishes the geography to the dustbin really.

It is a one off to celebrate the 60th contest. Apparently it is popular in Australia.

• Like 1

It is a one off to celebrate the 60th contest. Apparently it is popular in Australia.

Well pass me a vegemite sandwich.

• Like 1

Same boat as Prince Phillip - too many people putting her in through age. She'll still be with us this time next year and probably a couple beyond.

Thanks Eesti! Liking this entry muchly, hope it gets through to the final. Looking for someone to support as our UK Potato Waffle song should not do better than yours!

Let's not forget Australia has been invited to compete at Eurovision for the first time ever this year!

:party: :party: :party::clap: :clap: :clap::bow: :bow: :bow:

Half the countries vote for their geographical or historical neighbours... Your remoteness goes against you straight away. You are staring at mid table ranking at most. Better hope your song is good because "null-point" has been achieved quite a few times.

I think the novelty of having Australia in the competition will be in their favour. Australian's have had a good record when the have represented the UK before now Olivia Newton-John and Gina G.

Guy Sebastian is Malaysian born. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Yes, it is popular here (we watch it in a very tongue-in-cheek manner, half-laughing along with it, half-laughing at it.)

We are allowed to compete because SBS is part of the European Broadcasting Union. See full discussion on Australia's entry into the competition here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31436259

:P

I was hoping we might to better than come mid-rank. After all, if all the other voting factions are deadlocked, we might be seen as a nice neutral candidate for people to vote for. :D

Yes, it is popular here (we watch it in a very tongue-in-cheek manner, half-laughing along with it, half-laughing at it.)

We are allowed to compete because SBS is part of the European Broadcasting Union. See full discussion on Australia's entry into the competition here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31436259

:P

I was hoping we might to better than come mid-rank. After all, if all the other voting factions are deadlocked, we might be seen as a nice neutral candidate for people to vote for. :D

Australia's actually an associate member as it's outside of the European Broadcasting Area.

So should they win, they'd become the first Associate ESC Winners. Nice.

It has been said that if they win they will be allowed to defend their title but not to host.

It has been said that if they win they will be allowed to defend their title but not to host.

That gives them a real incentive then!

Eino Baskin dead at 85. One of the most famous theater managers in Estonia.

**checking Baskin's name off my list of 'famous theater managers in Estonia'**

SC

The guy was absolute legend in Estonia. Everybody knew him. You don't need to be sarcastic because you don't know anybody outside your little island.

Estonia is one of those countries I'd like to visit. I supported Ott Lepland in his 2012 bid for Eurovision, one of the loveliest ballads ever in the competition. Hope you have a good one this year!

Here you go. Win a free trip to Estonia: http://quiz.mfa.ee/

Won it a few times as well (1978, 1979, 1998)...

Two important german deaths in the news today:

Karl Moik, the austrian inventor of the most popular "Volksmusik"-TV show in the german-speaking countries is dead at 76:

http://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/leute/karl-moik/ist-tot-40313290.bild.html(german obituary)

It was the kind of show full of yodelling, alpine clothing and faint regret of losing World War II that people aged 60+ loved.

Also dead: "Emmely", Germany's most famous cashier. Her multi-billion dollar supermarket chain fired her instantly after 30 years of employment because she payed herself out two unused deposit bottle coupons (do you know what I mean?) worth 1,30€. She sued the company and won and got her job back:

http://www.bild.de/regional/berlin/tod/kassiererin-emmely-ist-gestorben-40304874.bild.html (german obituary)

She died at 57 after a heart attack.

Czech cinematographer Miroslav Ondricek dead at 80:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/miroslav-ondricek-dead-amadeus-cinematographer-milos-forman-1201462236/

A frequent collaborator with Milos Forman, he is probably best-known for his Oscar-nominated work on "Amadeus".

• Like 1

Mayor of Tallinn Edgar Savisaar has been in a hospidal for 10 days now. He had a streptococcus pyogenes so doctors amputate his right leg above the knee. His health has been very fragile over the past 12 years and now it has got even worse. They keep him in a coma and he doesn't know the news yet. He was brought to hospidal with a phenunomia suspection. If he survives then sure hit in the next few years.

Sad f*cker. (Estonians hate him).

Czech cinematographer Miroslav Ondricek dead at 80:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/miroslav-ondricek-dead-amadeus-cinematographer-milos-forman-1201462236/

A frequent collaborator with Milos Forman, he is probably best-known for his Oscar-nominated work on "Amadeus".

That remains basically my favorite movie of all time; he must have been the one key person NOT to win an Oscar :-(

RIP

SC

One of, if not, THE most acclaimed contemporary german directors, Helmut Dietl, is dead at 70:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/kino/helmut-dietl-ist-tot-a-1026324.html(link in german)

A hit for 2 DDP teams if there's a qualifying orbit. He had lung cancer but in late 2014 he said the tumour had shrunk. I saw him at an awards show and he still looked ok, though it was already suspicious that they gave him a lifetime achievement award.

Tomas Transtromer Swedish Poet who won Nobel Prize for literature is dead at 83 . Was picked by neither the Nobel Laureates or Swedish Theme Team in the DDP

Jean Germain, French politician accused of corruption, appears to have committed suicide pre-trial. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32202429

ALL the main news sources are reporting it as suicide and Wiki has it as death by firearm, all ahead of a trial about his - alleged - profiteering from a marriage scam.

Our kinda guy, then. Was anyone hereabouts prescient enough to have snagged him in a pool?

Jean Germain, French politician accused of corruption, appears to have committed suicide pre-trial. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32202429

ALL the main news sources are reporting it as suicide and Wiki has it as death by firearm, all ahead of a trial about his - alleged - profiteering from a marriage scam.

Our kinda guy, then. Was anyone hereabouts prescient enough to have snagged him in a pool?

Barrymore doesn't post anymore as far as I know....

Russian film director Bakhtyar Khudojnazarov, aged only 49.

By using Scrabble scoring to add up the letters in his name, he comes up with a score greater than his age at death; 60 points. I doubt there are many other people mentioned on this forum to whom the Scrabble deficit would apply.

I hope you scored that second K a zero and not a 5, as it would require the use of a blank.

SC