Godot

Contra Mundum

I'm wondering if there is an appetite for discussion about all the gagging orders going around recently and, if not the gagging itself, those the courts are seeking to protect. I raised the issue in the football thread but, as Andrew Marr disclosed today, we're not just talking about footballers but all kinds of prominent people.

It's hardly death related, unless exposure were to drive one to suicide, but at the very least it may help to satiate Deathlisters' curiosity.

Can anyone else name names, or at least links to names? It would be a nice way to tell Mr Justice Eady where to stick his contra mundum orders.

All VERY interesting stuff. Can't name names, or links to names, though I did have a Google about Imogen Thomas (beauty queen and former BB housemate) and the married footballer whose name is supposed to stay out of the press. One name - which rhymes very well with Ronnie Biggs - kept coming up, though whether this is simply wishful thinking because he's so squeaky clean that he's the kind of person people would want to see in a scandal, I couldn't say.

Well, Byan Higgs is supposedly banging Imogen Thomas (Welsh connection there). Ian Fearer and Rabby Crogan are supposed to be the ones having the affair. It's a toss up between Blue Vonn Reville and Hugh McTavisher as to who's been sharing Wayne Rooney's floosie (interesting that he didn't even bother to hide it).

The one that interests me is the TV personality with the squeaky clean image who supposedly had "phone sex" with some mentally disadvantaged single mother or summat.

Well, Byan Higgs is supposedly banging Imogen Thomas (Welsh connection there). Ian Fearer and Rabby Crogan are supposed to be the ones having the affair. It's a toss up between Blue Vonn Reville and Hugh McTavisher as to who's been sharing Wayne Rooney's floosie (interesting that he didn't even bother to hide it).

The one that interests me is the TV personality with the squeaky clean image who supposedly had "phone sex" with some mentally disadvantaged single mother or summat.

Wood yat adam and eve it if we told you?

The second article here gives some food for thought.

It would be shameless of me to say any more, so I'm off to watch some Father Ted DVDs.

The second article here gives some food for thought.

It would be shameless of me to say any more, so I'm off to watch some Father Ted DVDs.

So ol' Ding Dong's been having it away as well.

I suspect a Heidi Fleiss scenario going on here...

EDIT: Just realised. That's another affair. I can't keep up.

Time for a cup of tea I think!

You'd have thought Hugh Grant would have perhaps made sure he didn't have any scandalous affairs on his conscience before he went trying to zing the entire Murdoch empire the other week. Mans out here bringing knives to a gun fight.

Personally I don't give a shit who's banging who.

If, for example, Ryan Giggs was banging Imogen from big brother, I fail to see how it is in the public's interest to know about it.

My thoughts exactly, but tabloids exist because many people do give a shit. There's probably something very basic in that.

If I remember Frans de Waal correctly, much of Chimpanzee Politics is precisely about who bangs whom. Obviously chimps don't have distractions like the National Budget, football or Internet Fora, but I have little reason to believe people are much different with respect to their prime political interest.

Ook,

Hein

If, for example, Ryan Giggs was banging Imogen from big brother, I fail to see how it is in the public's interest to know about it.

I have some sympathy with these sentiments but the danger is that expensive gagging orders might be perceived by the rich and famous as a kind of "license to shag" with impunity while projecting a saintly image to an otherwise unsuspecting public.

I'm sure that Americans felt safer in their beds when J Edgar Hoover was running the FBI, but imagine the harm that could have been done had Hoover been blackmailed using images of him dressed in high heels, stockings and a fluffy black dress (although these stories may not be true).

Once you start gagging the press you create fertile ground for the rumour mill that flourishes among the Twitterarti and bloggerdom.

I have some sympathy with these sentiments but the danger is that expensive gagging orders might be perceived by the rich and famous as a kind of "license to shag" with impunity while projecting a saintly image to an otherwise unsuspecting public.

I'm sure that Americans felt safer in their beds when J Edgar Hoover was running the FBI, but imagine the harm that could have been done had Hoover been blackmailed using images of him dressed in high heels, stockings and a fluffy black dress (although these stories may not be true).

Once you start gagging the press you create fertile ground for the rumour mill that flourishes among the Twitterarti and bloggerdom.

Everyone has weaknesses but if they are propagating a wholesome image whilst simultaneously doing the dirty on their spouses then its rank hypocrisy if you ask me, protecting the family or not. You might as well go the whole hog and leave murderers/rapists unexposed for the sake of their family/ loved ones.

I think this is the arena for the internet. I was on another forum where I warned not to mention any names unless I get done for contempt of court. But if a million people do this, what's Justice Establishment and his over-paid minions going to do then?

Guest Guest

It's interesting that the highly litigious Lib Dem MP John Hemming is leading the campaign against hyper injunctions. He may well be trying to get the press on his side. When his estranged wife's trial - on a charge of burglary - concludes next month, then who knows if the Daily Mail will choose to publish the damning interview she gave about him and his rather odd mistress a few months ago... :shoot2:

Oh, for the good old days, when everyone knew who George Best was shagging but didn't give a toss.

If we were talking about a high powered politician (a secretary of state for war, for example) then fair enough, but these are footballers ffs, who already have an over-inflated sense of their own importance.

Name & Shame 'em.

It's interesting that the highly litigious Lib Dem MP John Hemming is leading the campaign against hyper injunctions. He may well be trying to get the press on his side. When his estranged wife's trial - on a charge of burglary - concludes next month, then who knows if the Daily Mail will choose to publish the damning interview she gave about him and his rather odd mistress a few months ago... :shoot2:

Cat burglary no less.

Oh, for the good old days, when everyone knew who George Best was shagging but didn't give a toss.

ALL George Best's women were stunners, a couple of Miss Worlds, loads of actress/model types...doubtless many tosses were given in their honour.

Did anyone access that Twitter feed they're reporting this morning.

I mean Jemima Khan and Jeremy Clarkson, wouldn't surprise me if they're both in collusion simply for the laugh. But were any of the others - ahem - fingered, credible names?

I wonder if this is deliberate obfuscation to the hide the real wrongdoers. Overload the webverse with all sorts of unlikely names so we wouldn't ultimately know

who has put out these super injunctions...

Did anyone access that Twitter feed they're reporting this morning.

I mean Jemima Khan and Jeremy Clarkson, wouldn't surprise me if they're both in collusion simply for the laugh. But were any of the others - ahem - fingered, credible names?

I can absolutely believe that Gordon Ramsey sexually harrassed female members of staff. And Hugh Bonneville taking dildos up the arse. In fact I believe it all :( and am eagerly awaiting further revelations. Especially those about Moira Stewart being spit roasted by Paxo and Keith Lemon.

Surely Jemima Khan is WAY out of Clarkson's league?

Depends how big his cock is.

Guest Jeremy Clarkson
:ninja:

Where are all these tweets that are causing the latest fuss? Anyone got a link?

I'm getting a bit confused now between the real gagging order stories and the tittle tattle about Jemima Puddleduck and Euan McGregor. Or was it Alan Shearer? Anyway none of it is believable. Ryan Giggs is such a nice man, as is Gabby Yorath, not like that horrible Clarkson bloke who probably started the rumour. Maybe we could throw a judge in to the pot for good measure. And then there's that bloke from Downton Abbey, what's (who) he supposed to have done?

Hmmm, stuff about various folk here. I've never heard of some of these people. Actors in Shameless? They're having a laugh.

So here's a short deathlist for next year chosen from a quick look at Twitter:

Euan McGregor,

Jose Mourinho

Avram Grant

Ryan Giggs

David Schneider (weird-looking actor)

Gordon Ramsey,

Hugh Bonneville.

I've crossed off Jemima and Jeremy since they say its just good publicity and Andrew Marr has outed himself. Can any names be added?

I take it people have to fork out £50,000 for a super-injunction. Money down the drain and considerably more than a session with a prostitute if these stories are to be believed. The judges must be laughing all the way to the bank (or wherever they go for their own peculiar pleasures). Gagging orders? A license to print money, I say.

While I'm at it (this is not a Carry on script), I'd like to share this blog post on the revival of the Sunday Sport. There's a delightful snippet about a Scotsman sitting on his new bride's knee plus dwarf paparazzi employed for up-shots.

The blogger also has a super injunction quiz.