Sign in to follow this  
Godot

Top 10 People Alive Today

I was running around in short pants and had snot on my top lip but I remember his funeral and I still have my Winston Churchill commemorative crown. A friend of mine met him and said he had a real presence. Oh aye in them days the Blue Peter boat was a real one sailing on the sea and
In fact that's where I learned to dance techno
, still do. We had
back then and didn't worry too much about leaves on the line. Our first car was a
and the first film I remember seeing at the pictures was Petticoat Pirates staring Charlie Drake who never made it as a pop singer. Even at that tender age I could see that the film was shite.

I don't remember Churchill's death, but that Real Weather happened in my first winter, one that's the stuff of

. Ford Prefect is, for me, a character in THGttG. Me dad drove a white Ford Taunus 12-M. We didn't have TV till 1969, when a set was bought to watch the Apollo 11 mission. The first film I remember watching in the cinema was Jungle Book. My first real hero was Floris.

regards,

Hein

You didn't see many Ford Taunuses around our way. In some ways I wish we hadn't had a telly. It was on all the time after my dad came home from work. The first stuff I remember on telly was Watch with Mother and I'd count

as a formative influence. Working out what they were saying was a big help many years later in understanding those Banshee Scream posts on the DL.

Share the concern above at the dearth of totty (ahem...women) thus far on this thread. Surely we can do better than Thatcher. J.K. Rowling has certainly changed publishing because her massively successful works showed much market "wisdom" of the 90s was simply wrong...but changing the world, dunno?

There are a few Nobel nominated women and the like and people like Baroness Greenfield are leaders worldwide in their fields. But - crass as it sounds - what about Madonna for sheer conceit and breaking barriers for empowered females throughout the entertainment world?

Share the concern above at the dearth of totty (ahem...women) thus far on this thread. Surely we can do better than Thatcher. J.K. Rowling has certainly changed publishing because her massively successful works showed much market "wisdom" of the 90s was simply wrong...but changing the world, dunno?

There are a few Nobel nominated women and the like and people like Baroness Greenfield are leaders worldwide in their fields. But - crass as it sounds - what about Madonna for sheer conceit and breaking barriers for empowered females throughout the entertainment world?

I'd put a few women ahead of Madonna, including our own Queen Liz. Aung San Suu Kyi, Oprah Winfrey and Germaine Greer come to mind although it's a thin list when you try to think of women who have really made a difference enough to be remembered in the history books web pages.

I'd put a few women ahead of Madonna, including our own Queen Liz. Aung San Suu Kyi, Oprah Winfrey and Germaine Greer come to mind although it's a thin list when you try to think of women who have really made a difference enough to be remembered in the history books web pages.

I wrote my list with a firm personal touch, because I intentionally chose living people who made a difference in my life. When I wrote it, I tried to figure out which well-know women should be on it. It turned out that most who came to my mind were dead: Golda Meir, Rear Admiral Hopper, Indira Ghandi, Dian Fossey. I didn't want Mrs. T. on my list, although perhaps, in a negative sense of a real difference, she should be.

Still, I think it's remarkable: few women on the lists. I'm sure that has some deep meaning, but better explanations than tribal traditions on male and female roles in society escape me.

regards,

Hein

Guest Pedro

1.Iggy Azalea

2.Kim Kardashian

3.Jay Z

4.Dr Oz

5.The Pope

6.Carly Rae Jepsen

7.Girls Generation

8.Ariana Grande

9.Justin Beiber

10.Bill Gates

(On the basis of global impact, some good some bad)

Tim Berners-Lee

Bill Gates

Vladimir Putin

Aung San Suu Kyi

Mikhael Gorbachev

Abdul-Ilah al-Bashir

Tony Blair

George Bush

Timothy_F._Geithner

Christine Lagarde

Keith Lemon.

Whoever invented kebabs.

Mr Smirnoff.

This bloke in town called Paddy O'Shea (true) who wears a flower in his hat.

Me.

Danny Dyer.

Mrs Miggins.

Trevor.

Simon.

Dave Grohl.

The Queen

Bill Clinton

Vince Cable

The Dali Lama

Paul McCartney

Caroline Lucas

James Cameron

Stephen Fry

Kate Bush

Terrence Dicks

Guest Guest

1.Iggy Azalea

2.Kim Kardashian

3.Jay Z

4.Dr Oz

5.The Pope

6.Carly Rae Jepsen

7.Girls Generation

8.Ariana Grande

9.Justin Beiber

10.Bill Gates

this is why i'm starting to think guest posts should be banned... :mellow:

Mr Smirnoff.

Victorian dude, he 'may' be dead..........

Mr Smirnoff.

He lives on, in my house, forever.......

Mr Smirnoff.

He lives on, in my house, forever.......

respects.gif

1. Nigel Farage

2. Alex Jones (American conspiracy theorist........ not the bint off The One Show)

3. Nigel Mansell

4. Tom Green

5. Edward Snowden

6. Lyndon LaRouche

7. Nicolas Cage

8. Michael van Gerwen

9. Jan de Bont

10. Daniel Parker (a.k.a. Deathray)

reserve/substitute: Sir Nigel Gresley

1)Queen Elizabeth II

2)Barack Obama

3)Pope Francis

4)Aung San Suu Kui

5)Fidel Castro

6)Desmond Tutu

7)Bill Gates

8)Oprah Winfrey

9)Jimmy Carter

10)George W Bush

I try to imagine whose death would get the most TV coverage

Difficult.... I mean if it is about people dying right now, then Barack Obama would definitely get the most coverage. But if he dies of old age in 30 years, what will his legacy be.... It's a bit of a guessing game.

1) Barack Obama

2) Lula Da Silva

3) Bill Gates

4) Muhammad Ali

5) Rupert Murdoch

6) Paul McCartney

7) Madonna

8) Meryl Streep

9) Pope Francis

10) Angela Merkel

But tough choices... A couple of months ago, I would have chosen Putin, but then I guess he hasn't really changed a lot.

1. Nigel Farage

2. Alex Jones (American conspiracy theorist........ not the bint off The One Show)

3. Nigel Mansell

4. Tom Green

5. Edward Snowden

6. Lyndon LaRouche

7. Nicolas Cage

8. Michael van Gerwen

9. Jan de Bont

10. Daniel Parker (a.k.a. Deathray)

reserve/substitute: Sir Nigel Gresley

She'll live forever, just like Scotsman.

Peter Graves

Ronald Reagan

Keith Fordyce

Gerry Anderson

Enid Blyton

Iris Murdoch

Floyd Patterson

Ferenc Puskás

Dora Bryan

A. E. van Vogt