the_engineer

Law And Order

Pretty big name in Detroit circles.

Judge Damon J. Keith, a grandson of slaves and revered figure in the civil rights movement who as a federal judge was sued by President Richard Nixon over a ruling against warrantless wiretaps, died Sunday. He was 96.

Keith died in Detroit, the city where the prominent lawyer was appointed in 1967 to the U.S. District Court,

SC

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 01:44, YoungWillz said:

Sir David McNee's Death Notice:  https://www.heraldscotland.com/announcements/deaths/deaths/17606183.David_B__Mc_Nee/

Haven't seen a proper obit for the cunto.

Cunto's Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/05/08/sir-david-mcnee-glasgow-born-commissioner-metropolitan-police/

• Thanks 1

Wiley Young Daniel, Colorado's first African-American judge, has died.  He was 72. Daniel was still serving on the bench at the time of his death and was in the news as recently as yesterday.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/11/wily-daniel-dies-federal-judge-colorado/

(behind firewall)

https://www.chieftain.com/news/20190510/fremont-county-fights-3-million-verdict

Arthur McGiverin, chief justice of the Iowa Supreme Court for over a decade, died Sunday at Mercy Hospital in Iowa City, his family said. He was 90.

Former Gov. Bob Ray appointed McGiverin as a justice in 1978, where he served until 2000, when he reached mandatory retirement age of 72. The final 13 years he was chief justice.
SC

Just now, mollyafox said:

RIP.

I'm pretty sure the new oldest Supreme Court Justice is Sandra Day O'Connor.

9 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

RIP.

I'm pretty sure the new oldest Supreme Court Justice is Sandra Day O'Connor.

That she is.  Turned 89 earlier this year.

4 hours ago, mollyafox said:

I could have sworn he was on the list once.I'm a bit shocked to find out he didn't even have his own thread ! 

12 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

I could have sworn he was on the list once.I'm a bit shocked to find out he didn't even have his own thread ! 

Here’s your chance to thread whore a Sandra Day O’Connor one if it doesn’t exist yet.

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

Here’s your chance to thread whore a Sandra Day O’Connor one if it doesn’t exist yet.

Robert Morgenthau, 99, who became the scourge of white-collar criminals over three decades as the Manhattan district attorney, died on Sunday.  He passed at a hospital in Manhattan, after a short illness, his wife told the Times. He would have turned 100 on July 31.

Morgenthau became Manhattan's chief prosecutor in 1975 and finally chose not to run for re-election in 2009 at age 90, ending a 35-year run during which he told the New York Times he oversaw 3.5 million cases.
SC

A little surprising he isn't now nor ever was a DDP selection.  Even I heard of him and I never lived in NYC.  Theme team, people who pick real old folks... just surprising is all.  Interesting if he QOs.

• Like 1

Richard Rosenbaum, a former New York state Supreme Court Justice and former New York Republican Chairman under Governor Nelson Rockefeller, has died.  He was 95.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2019/07/29/richard-rosenbaum-former-new-york-state-supreme-court-justice-dies-penfield-ny/1847649001/

The Police, Crime and Victims Commissioner for Durham, Ron Hogg, has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

Attorney John Kirby has died - https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=john-kirby&pid=194068924

Noteworthy for successfully defending Nintendo against Universal Studios when Universal sued Nintendo over the allegation Donkey Kong was a copyright infringement of King Kong (even though Universal didn't actually own the trademark to King Kong). He later was the namesake for Nintendo's Kirby character.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Attorney John Kirby has died - https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=john-kirby&pid=194068924

Noteworthy for successfully defending Nintendo against Universal Studios when Universal sued Nintendo over the allegation Donkey Kong was a copyright infringement of King Kong (even though Universal didn't actually own the trademark to King Kong). He later was the namesake for Nintendo's Kirby character.

Shame no one picked up on Kirby’s stomach cancer diagnosis...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Shame no one picked up on Kirby’s stomach cancer diagnosis...

Not a shame at all if no QO source picks up on his death.  In fact, collective brilliance.  We all getting a pat on the back.

I AM interested in the legal wrangling DI brought up.  What, pray tell, was Universal’s ‘standing to sue’ if they didn’t own the copyright lmao?  Entire court case should have been tossed after a Complaint and Answer and a concurrent Motion to Dismiss due to a lack of standing.  Sounds like Kirby was shite if he couldn’t get this case booted within the first 60 days.

SC

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Not a shame at all if no QO source picks up on his death.  In fact, collective brilliance.  We all getting a pat on the back.

I AM interested in the legal wrangling DI brought up.  What, pray tell, was Universal’s ‘standing to sue’ if they didn’t own the copyright lmao?  Entire court case should have been tossed after a Complaint and Answer and a concurrent Motion to Dismiss due to a lack of standing.  Sounds like Kirby was shite if he couldn’t get this case booted within the first 60 days.

SC

4EA72C42-388A-42F8-B773-E24A257290B5.gif

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

They claimed to own the copyright but didn't, which Kirby and co discovered investigating the case. He got it booted within 7 days of meeting the judge, and brought it to light that Universal didn't actually own the rights they claimed AND knew about it (as them not having the rights won them a previous court case). Nintendo went from being on the verge of settling for 7 million (because new, not yet mega rich, and the old lawyered up opponents thing) to winning outright, and Universal having to pay $57m in damages to them.

Oh, and a few years later, some henchman tried to sue Nintendo over Tetris rights, which started a series of events which ended with Robert Maxwell falling off a yacht.

Also in the 1960s, Kirby worked in the Justice Department and came up with the statistical evidence that black voters were being discriminated against, a large part of the evidence which brought in the Voters Rights Act.

So yeah, he was a damn fine lawyer, actually.

• Like 1