Sign in to follow this  
time

Colditz

Its approaching the 40th anniversary of the début of the BBC TV series 'Colditz'. Last week saw David McCallum's 79th birthday, and he's still working.

Here's a list of the major cast members:

The Main Cast:

David McCallum - played Flt Lt Simon Carter in 26 episodes - aged 79. Still working ('NCIS' contract extended for 2 years in April 2012). Obit chances - a certainty.

Richard Heffer; - played Captain Tim Downing in 25 episodes - born 28-July 1946 (aged 66); last IMDB entry 2011. Obit chances - fair.

Paul Chapman - played Capt. George Brent (24 episodes) - born 1939 (aged 72/73); last IMDB entry 2009. Obit chances - fair.

Jack Hedley - played Lt. Col John Prston (23 episodes) - born 28-October 1930 (aged 81); last entry 2000; obit chances - certain.

Bernard Hepton - played the Kommandant in 23 episodes - born 19 October 1925 (aged 86); last entry 2002; obit chances - certain.

Hans Meyer - played Hauptmann Ullman in 23 episodes - born 21 July 1925 (aged 87); last entry 2010;obit chances possible rather than probable. A south african, most of his work has been away from these shores.

Christopher Neame - played Lt. Dick Player in 17 episodes - born 12 September 1947 (aged 65); his last acting role was the appropriatley named Vanished in 2006, though he did do voicework for a Star Wars video game in 2011; obit chances - good, though probably not for a while.

Robert Wagner - played Flt. Lt. Phil Carrington in 14 episodes - born 10 February 1930 (aged 82); still working; obit chances - a certainty.

Edward Hardwicke - played Capt. Pat Grant in 14 episodes; died aged 78 16 May 2011. Obituaries a-plenty.

Anthony Valentine - played Major Horst Mohn in 11 episodes - born 17 August 1939; (aged 73); last role was in Coronation Street a couple of years ago. Obit chances - a certainty.

Peter Penry-Jones - played P.O. Peter Muir in 10 episodes - died in 2009 pretty much unnoticed by the media and it would appear no obituaries were forthcoming!

Some of the supporting cast are also worth watching

Jeremy Kemp - played Sqn Ldr Tony Shaw in 4 episodes - born 3 Jan 1935 (aged 77); not active since 1998 but with a list of credits as long as your arm, should be assured of an obit.

Joanna David - played Cathy Carter in 2 episodes; born 17 January 1947 (aged 65) has appeared in numerous telivision roles and was still acting as of this year (Doctors); obit chances - pretty good.

Garrick Hagon - played Lt Jim Phipps in 2 episodes; born 27 September 1939 (aged 72); still working, most recently in last weekends episode of Dr. Who (he was also in the original Dr Who, 40 years previously). Obit chances - fair to good.

Geoffrey Palmer - played 'Doc' in 2 episodes;born 4 june 1927 (aged 85); still working, though very much assured of an obit when the time comes (unless there's a cock-up on the editorial front). Has also appeared in both versions of Dr. Who

Jim Norton - played Capt. Porteous in 2 episodes; born 4 January 1938 (aged 74); still working, long list of credits including Straw Dogs &,Harry Potter; more than likely to get the requisite obit.

I'll add some creative types presently.

Joanna David - played Cathy Carter in 2 episodes; born 17 January 1947 (aged 65) has appeared in numerous telivision roles and was still acting as of this year (Doctors); obit chances - pretty good.

Joanna David a certainty for an obit, I'd say. She's married to Edward Fox and both their children (Emilia and Freddie) are actors too.

Jim Norton - played Capt. Porteous in 2 episodes; born 4 January 1938 (aged 74); still working, long list of credits including Straw Dogs &,Harry Potter; more than likely to get the requisite obit.

I'll add some creative types presently.

Jim Norton is probably most famous for playing Bishop Brennan in Father Ted, for that reason alone he'd get coverage

Joanna David a certainty for an obit, I'd say. She's married to Edward Fox and both their children (Emilia and Freddie) are actors too.

She was also in the seminal BBC Pride & Prejudice in 1995 as Mrs Gardiner - just for that she will get an obit.

Its approaching the 40th anniversary of the début of the BBC TV series 'Colditz'. Last week saw David McCallum's 79th birthday, and he's still working.

Anthony Valentine - played Major Horst Mohn in 11 episodes - born 17 August 1939; (aged 73); last role was in Coronation Street a couple of years ago. Obit chances - a certainty.

Anthony Valentine dies: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34982684

Geoffrey Palmer - played 'Doc' in 2 episodes;born 4 june 1927 (aged 85); still working, though very much assured of an obit when the time comes (unless there's a cock-up on the editorial front). Has also appeared in both versions of Dr. Who

He would even be guranteed to obit in Us based games due to As Time Goes By which was a staple for years on PBS

Anthony Valentine dies: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34982684

Honestly, this fella was a major league TV actor of the 70s and Im fucked if I know why he hasn't had a 'proper' obit.

TBF, Im more likely to read 50+ saggy Grannies special than The Guardian. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Same publication imo...

• Like 1

TBF, Im more likely to read 50+ saggy Grannies special than The Guardian. :ph34r:

Your teenage diaries then?

No, your photo album. :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Bernard Hepton died on 27 July.  Thought this would have been posted already, but can't see it.

Guardian obit

Cross-posting and giving Toast the credit, as it should be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hans Meyer, South African actor of German descent, died on April 4th aged 94 according to this French blog.

Best known in the UK for his role in the series Colditz. His filmography is pretty extensive!

Awaiting obit. Nothing on his website, yet.

Wait a minute, surely old Hans Meyer should go here? ;)

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Wait a minute, surely old Hans Meyer should go here? ;)

Thanks! I genuinely spent 3 minutes scrolling through pages trying to figure out where to post it before I just dumped him in the Johnny Foreigner thread. :P

• Haha 1

Report of the death of Al Barnett (aka Alan Barnett), costume designer on the entire second series of Colditz, aged 92: http://www.ex-bbc.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1716979271

Other notable costume roles include Survivors, Juliet Bravo, Howard's Way and....Boys From The Blackstuff. He was also a costume assistant on Braveheart.

49 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

costume designer on the entire second series of Colditz

Ok, this might be dumb, but, in what way are the costumes of a historical nazi prison going to change for either the inmates or the guards over the course of whatever actual time period a tv season might cover?

I admit I'm handicapped by not knowing what a costume designer really does, but lets ignore that for the time being.

7 hours ago, En Passant said:

Ok, this might be dumb, but, in what way are the costumes of a historical nazi prison going to change for either the inmates or the guards over the course of whatever actual time period a tv season might cover?

I admit I'm handicapped by not knowing what a costume designer really does, but lets ignore that for the time being.

Well, you are assuming it's just prison, guards and prisoners. The show was a little wider than that - obviously there are the escape efforts, new arrivals, associated people of the town and the ultimate liberation of the camp.

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, you are assuming it's just prison, guards and prisoners. The show was a little wider than that - obviously there are the escape efforts, new arrivals, associated people of the town and the ultimate liberation of the camp.

Actually I'm really just taking the piss out of a profession I have no conception of.

Aside from some period pieces and by that I mean periods a lot earlier than mid c20th isn't it just put some clothes on?

I wasn't really serious mate, I could always go and look it up I suppose in the time honoured "let me google that for you" fashion :lol:.